IGNORED

Tips For Better Chipping

Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Make sure that your wedges don't have worn down grips. Those are the clubs that always need to have good grips on them. If not, you will end up turning the clubhead, ESPECIALLY through thick rough. I recommend the Golf Pride Multi-Compound Decades , they are sooo nice.

After you check the grips, practice using the right hand more than the left when taking the club back, but with a firm, but loose and easy grip. The left hand is just along for the ride basically, and if you use the left hand more you will end up pulling or pushing shots.

And lastly, get fitted for wedges if possible. There are so many variations for wedges that its impossible to figure out what to use. Have a professional at a golf shop fit you for a good club.

"Yep. Inside each and every one of us is one true authentic swing. Somethin' we was born with. Somethin' that's ours and ours alone. Somethin' that can't be taught to ya or learned. Somethin' that got to be remembered."

Wow sorry it was a little late and I forgot the most important part. YOU MUST ACCELERATE THROUGH THE BALL. If not you will end up whiffing your club right under the ball if its in a good lie, or skulling it if its bad. Thats how you get the ball to have a little backspin on it also.

A good practice routine for this would be:

Go to the range or anywhere you can practice chipping.

Find a spot to chip to, and hit a couple shots as you normally would.

Then, practice taking an extremely short backswing, 1ft at the most.

To get the ball to the same position before, you need to accelerate, and you will end up getting a better result.

"Yep. Inside each and every one of us is one true authentic swing. Somethin' we was born with. Somethin' that's ours and ours alone. Somethin' that can't be taught to ya or learned. Somethin' that got to be remembered."

Make sure that your wedges don't have worn down grips. Those are the clubs that always need to have good grips on them. If not, you will end up turning the clubhead, ESPECIALLY through thick rough. I recommend the Golf Pride Multi-Compound Decades

I'll check those grips out. Golf Pride is my favorite.
After you check the grips, practice using the right hand more than the left when taking the club back, but with a firm, but loose and easy grip. The left hand is just along for the ride basically, and if you use the left hand more you will end up pulling or pushing shots.

Regarding the left hand in the short game: Ken Venturi says that about putting. All of my teachers say the exact opposite about chipping. You may be right but I suspect that most hacks use too much right hand.
And lastly, get fitted for wedges if possible. There are so many variations for wedges that its impossible to figure out what to use. Have a professional at a golf shop fit you for a good club.

OK

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I'll check those grips out. Golf Pride is my favorite.

Yeah the grips are extremely reliable and keep full control of the club. I may have worded the right hand part wrong. Don't use all the grip of the club in your right hand, but just imagine the right hand guiding it. Use even pressure, but if you think about the right hand guiding the club it will be much easier.

Is it better to keep a softer right hand or left hand???

Overall its better to keep both soft, yet firm to have good control over your shots. But I think a fraction softer grip in the left hand is best. This way you won't be stiff in your chipping, but you won't be like jello.

Simple:
THE METHOD:
put your feet at a 45* angle toward the target. Back toe is parallel with the ball(toward the back of your stance basically). and the motion you are looking for is a putting motion, little to no wrist movement and go back and follow thru. that simple, the club stays square and you get the MOST out of the clubs grooves and degree...try it.

In my Xtreme II carry bag:

Mizuno Driver
MacGregor 3Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 3i CG Gold Graphite Irons (4-PW) 52* CG14 wedge Vokey 56* Sand Wedge Vokey 60* Lob Wedge 33" Newport

Simple:

Yes thats a great technique. I use that a lot with my bump and roll shots. I usually take a Pitching wedge, 9 iron, or 8 iron if Im close to the green with a good shot, and just let the ball roll right up to the pin.

This all sounds good, but I don't care what kind of grips you use...you can super glue the club to your hands if you want...you have to keep the hands ahead of the club head or nothing is going to help your chipping.

R7 Superquad TP 1st edition
R7 ti 3,5,7 fairway metals
18*, 21*, 26* hybrids
#10 & #14 shortened fairway metals 29*, 35*
4 wedges of various brands 47~65* + foot wedge Danser or Zing 2 Beryllium putterPro V1

Well yeah of course. If you don't have your hands in front of the ball you'll end up trying to scoop the ball, and then hit it thin, shank, skull, etc.

But if your grips are really worn, then the club head will twist through thick rough and defeats the purpose entirely.

Cheers

I agree with the grip part on the scoring irons and the type. I use golf prode duel compound grips on all of my clubs except driver and 3-wood and I swear by them. Those grips really give me a feeling for the whole club, which can help on any kind of shot.

As far as technique, I do everything standard excpet I choke up on the club to the end of the grip and I bascically make a quarter version of my full swing, making sure to strike the ball down and through. The clubhead never rises above my knee caps and my hands never leave my body frame - back or through. Its a short, compact, no-frills chipping stroke that has saved many a hole for me. I do the same thing for my pitch shots only I add some wrist cock.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

one of the main things I would like to add (unless I missed it, i skimmed your post) is using the same type of ball when you practice/play. A Prov1 will spin a ton more than a two piece top flight, assuming you are using the same technique with each ball. This is critical when your trying to get the ball close.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Note: This thread is 5861 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!