IGNORED

Saturday golfing depression/venting

Pinseeker81
Note: This thread is 5884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm debating getting a membership at Wildcat myself. Was just discussing with the loving wife this evening. Might just do their player development program instead. I love both courses, but am in a similar situation, as I just don't know if I will get over there (coming from the other side of Houston) enough to make it worth while.

I though that Timber Creek had a membership program, but I might be mistaken, as I don't see anything on their website about it. There are some great deals to be had on the this side of town in terms of memberships/development programs, but not that familiar with Pasadena...

Having lived in Austin before I moved here, I desperately miss the Harvey Penick facility/range at the Golfsmith Hqs in Austin. Not just a driving range, but a real live practice facility. Haven't found anything in Houston that compares, at least not without going out to one of the semi-privates in the Woodlands....I think having a good facility to actually practice (not just pound buckets) is critical...

Since I am in the market for a membership, I will holler at you if I happen to see anything in your area that might interest you.

In My Bag:

Driver: Si3 380
3 & 4 Woods: Eye-o-matic Persimmons (yes...Persimmons)
Irons: 3-PW R7 TP S300Wedges: Karsten II 57* SW, Vokey 54.10 and 58.08 Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: White Hot SabertoothBall: Pro V1x"That's the easiest shot in golf....a short chip into the sand."

When you're trying to save for a needed 2nd car, I would think that an expensive golf membership would be out of consideration. I'm not saving for anything, yet I can't afford that much just for golf. Sometimes real life has to supersede recreation, and that includes golf. To occasionally pay an extra $20 to play a course that offers a reservation policy is a LOT cheaper than shelling out $3300 for a membership that you probably won't get your money's worth out of.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes if traffic is good. 45 if it's not. You get unlimited golf on both courses, unlimited range balls and free Saturday clinics.

Thats quite a trip Pinseeker, Its kinda iffy, if your really desperate for it And are willing to comute that far, id do it. But 30 mins is a long way, but worth it if you stay there all day maybe even playing 36 holes.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

30 minutes isn't that far to me. I drive all over for my job (sometimes 200 miles a day) so 30 minutes is nothing.
But as Fourputt said, I have other things to get done before I buy a membership anyway. We've been on a tear getting out of debt (shameless plug: www.daveramsey.com ), and part of getting out and staying out is not going to finance a car. We get by just fine at the moment, it just makes extra curricular activities hard to pull off, lol.

Right now, getting out of, and staying out of, debt and living a cash based instead of debt/credit based life is more important to me than unlimited golf

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

wow, I should be thankful Im a junior, 1) I dont pay for my membership 2) Its only $325

Although i am planning to put down around 800 for new clubs.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I think Blackhorse has a pretty reasonable deal, and they have 2 awesome golf courses.

Where is Pasadena anyways? I live by Memorial Park.

edit: only thing I hate about Wildcat is how windy it is there. It is ALWAYS cranking.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I think Blackhorse has a pretty reasonable deal, and they have 2 awesome golf courses.

Have you lived here long? I just can't imagine a native not knowing where Pasadena is

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wildcat is about 30-45 minutes away depending on traffic. I'm in the Pasadena area.

Based on your description I'm guessing you went to Pasadena muni because they don't allow chipping on their only practice green. I'd try Battleground in Deer Park or Bay Forest in La Porte; both are fun courses in decent shape and they have great deals online. You can't beat the weekday 18 walking at Pasadena, though ($11)

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

Based on your description I'm guessing you went to Pasadena muni because they don't allow chipping on their only practice green. I'd try Battleground in Deer Park or Bay Forest in La Porte; both are fun courses in decent shape and they have great deals online. You can't beat the weekday 18 walking at Pasadena, though ($11)

Free rep point for you for the impeccable detective work, lol.

I've played Deer Park. I used to live there for my first 25 years. I still go over there to practice a lot of the time. Never tried one in La Porte, where is it?

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

maybe you need to travel a little to enjoy a better round of golf. I live in North Houston and there are dozens upon dozens of courses to play and if you search on line you can get great deals on rates. Courses are never crowded and they do allow chipping.

Free rep point for you for the impeccable detective work, lol.

Its here:

http://www.bayforestgolf.com/golf/proto/bayforestgolf/ Its a pretty good muni, always in good shape and it has some interesting holes. You can get good online deals from their website or from golf512.com. They have good membership deals too, I'd probably join if it wasn't 45 minutes away from me.

Have you lived here long?

Nope, lived there 11 months, just moved back to Florida!

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Nope, lived there 11 months, just moved back to Florida!

College, or something similar?

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

I lived on Clear Lake for a few years, and here is where I would go:

Have you not tried Beacon Lakes? They have a large range and the 18 holes are lighted too!
http://www.beaconlakesgolf.com/golf/...aconlakesgolf/

For a really nice practice facility, go ease onto Bay Oaks Country Club. They have a great putting green and chipping area.

Green Caye off 146 near Dickinson is cool too.
http://www.greencayegolfcourse.com/

Hope this helps, I know it can be frustrating. But, it will probably be more frustrating fighting that traffic on 45

In my bag

Driver 905R 9.5 with Aldila
3-wood G10 15 degree
Hybrid G10 18 degreeIrons MP 32Wedges 52 & 56 & 60 degreePutter SC SS Newport 1.5Ball

I know where Beacon Lakes is, but I've never tried it. I ought to.
My cousin used to work at Green Caye for a while. I'd go up there and hit free range balls They have this apartment thingie above the covered range line, and it was cool at night to stand up there nad watch all the balls flying out from under you.
Bay Oaks has always interested me. It's only about 15 minutes away.

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

I play in Conroe / Magnolia area. Plenty to choose from and 3 1/2 hour rounds are very common. Check ebay for green fees. I picked up a few rounds for 12.99 a piece. good for after 12 on weekends and anytime on weekdays. Also, have you played Gus Wortham. I have a buddy who plays there and he has no complaints. I do not know all the hot spots because I just moved here two years ago, but I am learning my way around. Even was lucky enough to play redstone in January. Won a slient auction at my little girls school. 4 some for $100. not bad, not bad at all.

• 2 weeks later...
I know where Beacon Lakes is, but I've never tried it. I ought to.

Beacon lakes is fine for practice, but their greens have been dead since last summer; its a pretty cool course, especially considering you can play after dark, but the greens are terrible, way worse than even pasadena. Also i think its overpriced compared to places like battleground and bay forest and even the bayou course in texas city (a funny thing about the bayou golf course is that butch harmon was the pro there before he was famous; my neighbor claims to have played a round with him there 20 years ago and said he was an arrogant a-hole who gave too much advice. he also said he was not a good player)

Note: This thread is 5884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!