IGNORED

Does going to the range really help?

Note: This thread is 5782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It seems to me the best way to get better at golf is to play golf and play a lot of it. Going to the range doesn't seem to stick with me. It's a different game when you are out walking around. To me playing 2-3 rounds a week is much better than going to the range for subsitution.

I know everybody is different so opinions will vary, whats your thoughts on this?

I find going to the Range with Mats does not really help. Its so easy to make good contact with the ball it Doesnt really do anything with your game. When There is only mats option to choose from, I just practise Consistency with Accuracy. I make targets to aim for. I dont worry about contact.

When im on the grass, I worry all about contact, and accuracy. Being on the grass basically simulates a real game on the fairway.

So yes, it does help.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

all depends what you goals are on the range. what are trying to accomplish? If you want to improve go to the range. Instant feed back. You hit the 5 iron bad you can't scramble on the range. Playing you have a tendency to worry about the score. You may have hit the ball like crap but you holed out from the fringe to save a par. Do you feel better then if you would have piped a drive, stoned your 2nd and missed the birdie? Same score different feeling.
IowaChop WITB
Driver:
Hyper X 9*
Fairway Metals:
Big Bertha (2004) 15*, 19*Hybrid:Big Bertha Heavenwood 23*Irons: 4-6 710 CB, 7-PW 710 MBWedges:655TM Fluid Forged Wedge (55/11*) CG 12 DSG 60/3*Putter: Tour Platinum 7801Ball: TP Black LDP
"Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll...

The range takes less time. If you focus on what you're doing, you can make very good use of the range to hit your shots well, to focus on each shot, and to build the golf muscles and muscle memory. Alternately, you can work a problem into your swing if all you do is rake another ball, hit it, and repeat. It's all a matter of what you do at the range.

Are you better at the practice areas than on the course? I seem to remember that Tom Kite preferred the practice areas and Ben Crenshaw preferred to be on the course. Both are great players, and have been for quite some time. Which helps you the best is, I believe, a matter of personal preference.

For the record, I prefer the course.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think everyone PREFERS to play rather than practice, but to be honest, going to the range for an hour, and chipping and putting for at least 20 minutes is way more practice than playing 18 holes.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

It absolutely helps going to the range. I think I would absolutely suck if I never went to the range. Where would I go to practice certain shots? To work on my weaknesses? To improve my strengths?

Also, the range is where I can ask questions and seek advice. It's tough to do that on the course.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I concurr with some of the responses. I have a nice grass range at my home course that allows me to work on ball striking. It has helped me to improve immensely and I would suggest others to do the same. I spend my lunch hour, twenty minutes on the range and twenty on chipping and putting. The muscle memory result is great and the confidence on the putting surface has done wonders for the score. Like the others, it is how you approach your practice time on each and every shot. Good luck!

I see people trot out to the range with 2 large buckets of balls and a grim look on their faces, as though they are determined that *this* time, they will figure out how to correct that nasty slice.

My opinion is that all they really achieve is to reinforce their swing flaws. Not to mention it can be a major wear and tear on your body over the course of the summer.

I like to practice but I almost always only hit a small bucket, as that forces me to make each ball count. I'll warm up with about 10 wedges of varying distances. Then I'll simulate playing 3 or 4 holes, going through all the clubs in the bag. All the time ensuring that I'm reviewing fundamentals: alignment, setup, posture, etc. I'll leave a few balls in the bucket and head for the sand trap, finishing up with some putting and chipping. One thing I do is put the bucket back behind me a few yards away and I'll take one ball at a time out of the bucket and walk back to get the next ball and so on. This forces me to go through alignment and aiming for each and every ball.

Funny thing is just how few people I see practicing out of the sand trap. It's like they are too intimidated to practice there in plain sight.

I like to practice but I almost always only hit a small bucket, as that forces me to make each ball count.

I would prefer going to a range with grass opposed to mats but unfortunately do not have that option. Generally I hit about 2-3 buckets (total of about 100-110 balls) while at the range but am starting to see things the way Croaker24 does.

Most of the times, the first bucket is when I focus on working on my flaws; correct my alignment, weight transfer, etc. but pretty soon I lose focus and/or get way too tired to focus. At that time I probably rush through my shots and 90% of my shots, irrespective of any club will slice like crazy. To sum it up I believe that if you go to the range with a definite goal and work on it while pacing yourself (as opposed to rushing through the buckets) it may work better.

Driver: r7
3 Wood: Insight BUL
5 Wood: T40
3 I-Wood: 3dx
4-SW: NVG2LW: Putter: Rossa MonzaBall: Noodle - Long and Soft

Going to the range will help you with your swing, ball-striking, and so on. Tiger Woods said that when he was in his early days on the PGA, he would rather spend a day at the range rather than a day on the course. Unless your swing is perfect, the range is going to help.

"Eliminate All Compensations."

Bag: 2008 Warbird
Driver: R7 425 10.5 (s)
3 wood: R7 stIrons: RAC MB TP 2-PWWedges: SV 56*10, SV Black Satin 60*10Putter: Anser 4Balls: Black

Range use for me:

- consistency... like shooting free throws... must grow in confidence
- club distances... chart them every time... review the data... will enlighten you
- pitching area.... wow, went Wed night and worked on 35 yard chips to the stick, paid off the very next round where I had 3 of those and all led to one putts.
- sand area.... I can NEVER get enough sand practice. It's one of those areas where you think you've got it all figured out and BAM... 4 strokes later you're still in the trap looking like you starred in Caddy Shack.

I definitely like the idea of putting the bucket of balls behind you, forcing you to start over each swing. That puppy is going into the routine this week. Thanks for that one!

Driver: HiBore XLS
Hybrid: HiBore XLS 3i 22*
Irons: FP (v.07)
Wedges: CG14 Black Pearl 48* 52*
Putter: G5iBall: HX Hot BiteBest Score: 84 @ Arizona National - Tucson

I definitely like the idea of putting the bucket of balls behind you, forcing you to start over each swing. That puppy is going into the routine this week. Thanks for that one!

Yeah, this found its way into my range routine a few weeks ago. It's actually quite good, although I imagine it would get tedious if I do a large bucket.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Going to the range will help you with your swing, ball-striking, and so on. Tiger Woods said that when he was in his early days on the PGA, he would rather spend a day at the range rather than a day on the course. Unless your swing is perfect, the range is going to help.

I use to think that very same thing but now I dont know. I go to the range and look like a scratch golfer. Hitting every iron and wood where I want to with real good accuracy. I get to the course and duck hook about every other drive. Its like I am Jekyll and Hyde.

I think thats the reality of it. Some people benefit more from the range than others. I agree that grass practice greens can help a lot, mats on the other hand don't help as far as I am concerned. They help you grove a bad swing. Then on the course you get owned.

I think everyone PREFERS to play rather than practice, but to be honest, going to the range for an hour, and chipping and putting for at least 20 minutes is way more practice than playing 18 holes.

Exactly, "way more practice than playing", but does that practice improve your playing, that is the question to me. There is no substitute to hitting while on the course, even if its pure practice, where you re hit and do not keep a score only work on shots.

Note: This thread is 5782 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!