IGNORED

PGA Tour Revises College Qualifying

iacas

• Administrator
1668446167536.jpeg

The PGA Tour Policy Board approved two measures that for the first time allow college golfers to earn their way on to the PGA Tour for their performance as amateurs

The first gives the top player in the final PGA Tour University Velocity Global Ranking full PGA Tour membership at the end of the college golf season in June. The change goes into effect next spring, allowing the No. 1 golfer in the 2022-23 ranking of college seniors—a spot currently held by Texas Tech’s Ludvig Aberg—to play as a fully exempt PGA Tour member through the end of 2023, including any fall events the tour conducts as it revises its schedule.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty damn exciting for these college guys I bet. I’m surprised they didn’t do this sooner. What’s your take on this @iacas?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

I think…

• It's a reaction to LIV. That's why you don't have to graduate now.
  • I think it's kinda lame that you can't get on to the PGA Tour from Q-School (soon you can, though, as they're letting five spots back in I think). But… those who did that rarely kept their cards, so I understand.
  • I think it's a good thing, because it gives guys a chance who are good NOW a real opportunity instead of waiting out their senior year, which frees up scholarships for another high school player.

Overall, I think it's a small thing, but a step back in the right direction, and a necessary one.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Overall, I think it's a small thing, but a step back in the right direction, and a necessary one.

Agreed.

I think they could go a little deeper than just #1 on the PGA Tour with a 500k guarantee. Exemption on the KF is nice, but wasn't enough for #2 Eugenio Lopez-Chacarra (OSU) to bypass playing another year as an am, but when LIV came knocking he went. Then he won 4 million. That's kind of a game changer for setting up your life. 

So my thought process is that why wouldn't he go to LIV? He has a 3 year contract, gets to play out of the gate with some amazing talent on world class golf courses, and is getting exposed to the world of being a touring pro without having to "pay his dues." Then he wins 4 million. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
1 hour ago, TourSpoon said:

I think they could go a little deeper than just #1 on the PGA Tour with a 500k guarantee. Exemption on the KF is nice, but wasn't enough for #2 Eugenio Lopez-Chacarra (OSU) to bypass playing another year as an am, but when LIV came knocking he went. Then he won 4 million. That's kind of a game changer for setting up your life. 

So my thought process is that why wouldn't he go to LIV? He has a 3 year contract, gets to play out of the gate with some amazing talent on world class golf courses, and is getting exposed to the world of being a touring pro without having to "pay his dues." Then he wins 4 million.

Of course, "why wouldn't he go to LIV," but also… we don't know if he's actually of a quality level to play on the PGA Tour for a few years, let alone to win at that level.

His win tells us almost nothing.

Except that he went to LIV.

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

Of course, "why wouldn't he go to LIV," but also… we don't know if he's actually of a quality level to play on the PGA Tour for a few years, let alone to win at that level.

His win tells us almost nothing.

Except that he went to LIV.

We did learn that he is at a level to convincingly win against multiple major winners over 3 rounds. While its arguably not Player's Championship level, its still impressive. The point is that we will not ever know because the PGAT's offer of a Korn Ferry card wasn't enough to get him to buy into the PGAT brand as the PGA Tour University's #2.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

We did learn that he is at a level to convincingly win against multiple major winners over 3 rounds.

We don’t really know much about their current form.

He might have never earned a top 10 in a PGA Tour event for all we know.