IGNORED

Windows Syncing Question/Problem

iacas

• Administrator

I have two Windows 10 computers, each with a GEARS installation. The one at the Golf Evolution academy hooks up to the cameras, of course, and the one here at my house is hooked up to just a TV… so I can record videos, take screenshots, do some research, etc. here at home.

The program files are stored in a directory on the Windows machine, of course. So far, I've been doing a few things to both "back up" the files, and to copy them from the downtown computer to the one at my home. Namely:

1. I .zip the file up and put it in my Dropbox.
  2. I copy the .zip file to a flash drive on my keychain.

The .zip file is now 6.5 GB in size. It takes awhile to zip, to copy, and to upload.

If it was a Mac, I might create a sparse bundle disk image, but even that would still require me to manually copy files from the original location on the hard disk to the Dropbox folder.

Ideally, I'd love to find a solution that copies files from the "GEARS Data" folder to the Dropbox folder as they're changed/added, and then here at home I could manually copy it over. This way it would sync as I'm using it, and be uploaded already.

Is there a straightforward and secure way to do this? By "secure" I just mean… I don't ever want the original "GEARS Data" folder to be compromised on the academy computer. I want any syncing to go only one direction on the academy computer - if I screw up the Dropbox folder, I want the academy computer to over-write it and "fix" it when I next start it up. If I manually copy something from the Dropbox to the "GEARS Data" folder, then obviously that will stick.

So again…

Academy: "GEARS Data" --- automatically copies/syncs ---> "Dropbox"

Home: "Dropbox" --- manually copied ---> "GEARS Data" folder on home computer

I don't even mind if it's a script or something I have to manually run. I could just put it on the desktop and run it when I'm done with each GEARS session.

Anyone have any ideas? Or maybe there's a better way?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Have you checked out M$ OneDrive?   

I already have Dropbox, and I don't want things I do on my Home computer to sync to the Academy computer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• Administrator

Another friend suggested I look into robocopy:

logo-ms-social.png

Reference article for the robocopy command, which copies file data from one location to another.
apple-touch-icon@2.png?v=73d79a89bded

I'm trying to find an easy way of deploying only changed files to the webserver for deployment purpose. In times past I've used MSBuild, which could be told to only copy files that were newer than...

• 9 months later...
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, BraydenMiles said:

One way you could achieve your desired syncing method is by using Windows Task Scheduler to run a PowerShell script that only copies new or changed files from the "GEARS Data" folder to Dropbox. The script would run at regular intervals or triggers you set.

Thanks. That’s what I’ve been doing since last December, yeah. On both machines.