IGNORED

What a Bunch of Hackers (17th at Sawgrass)

Club Rat

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'm not sure that's the case here. 

I've played this hole (granted only once) but everyone in my group was either completely amped up for the shot, or shaking at the knees. Distance control is so dependent on a quality strike and a quality strike is challenging when your knees are shaking. 

If you think of it this way. Your strike will either be good or bad. If its good, no problem. Mine was good, I landed center of the green. If your strike is bad it will most likely end up short, or in this case in the water. 

I always think it's funny when experts tell us that most amateurs leave the ball short more often then hit it long. To which I say "No Sh!t, Sherlock." 😋 A bad strike most often comes up short, and amateurs make more bad strikes than the pros. Oh sure, occasionally somebody will skull one and thin it a mile, but for the most part bad strikes fall short. But playing for a bad strike is not realistic. If you hit your 9 iron 135 yards for example, you may hit 50% of them about 135 yards. The other 50% will mostly be short. Some of them way short. Some may only go 25 or 30 yards. Planning for a terrible strike just isn't the answer. Taking more club can help, but if you hit a scabby one, it doesn't matter which club is in your hands, it will end up short. 

Agreed. Yes, many beginners and "I got 3 times a year" players overestimate the lengths of their shots, especially driver ("hit already, they're 300 yards out!!!"), but that's gotta be nothing compared to the number of fat shots that come up short.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades