IGNORED

2023 TST Outing (OH/PA/NJ/NY/WV) - August 26 in Western NY

6 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

If those places are around 100 or 200 miles from Albany then cool.

@Carl3remind me, where would you be coming from?

I am just south of Buffalo.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, mohearn said:

I'm in Poughkeepsie. Hiawatha is about 3 hours, probably my limit. Makes for a long day to turn it around in a day.  I have half a thought of driving early Friday and playing Tom Coyne's (Paper Tiger author) course in Liberty (Sullivan County GC) and then overnighting in Binghampton.   Fairly flexible, too bad we can't entice another foursome, I hear it's going to be great. :-)

Mike

9 hours ago, Chris Brooks said:

I want to play there too. I'd probably join you. 

Depending on my green fees I'd also be interested in this.  That said, I'd have to drive back to Albany and then head out for our outing the next day.

5 hours ago, Carl3 said:

I am just south of Buffalo.

Ok, so the complete other direction from me.  Was going to see if you were by me if you wanted to carpool.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

(edited)

Looks like we are converging on a plan. I haven't made any calls yet, but ready to pull the trigger and start coordinating this week.

Attendees

Pre-Event on Friday, August 25

• 9 holes (or a double loop for 18) at Sullivan County Golf Club on Friday, August 25
  • I'm a member of the Broken Tee Society (suspect @mohearn might also be?) so there might be some discounted options off an already affordable green fee. My plan would be to walk this course.
  • Video version of a recent podcast:

Main Event on Saturday, August 26

---

How does this sound? Any lurkers out there want to jump onboard? Attendees mentioned above, please confirm attendance for either or both events.

Edited by Chris Brooks
Oops - mixed up east and west
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

20 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Depending on my green fees I'd also be interested in this.  That said, I'd have to drive back to Albany and then head out for our outing the next day.

That'd be great.  I saw they got quite a bit of rain with this last storm, but seem to be handling it and it's still a month out..  Green fees aren't bad at all, Sullivan county after all. Walk/ride... I'm easy either way, if I walk I usually cut down to 9 clubs and a light carry bag, but again, easy either way,.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

I am going to drop out. New York is an enormous state🤣. I saw the WNY in the title and was thinking it would be a slam dunk. I think there are over 100 members in central and upstate NY where it would be an easy drive.

13 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

I am going to drop out. New York is an enormous state🤣. I saw the WNY in the title and was thinking it would be a slam dunk. I think there are over 100 members in central and upstate NY where it would be an easy drive.

Yeah, we definitely pivoted to central NY and this is a big state. Sorry you won't join us @Carl3, but I understand.

And then there were three!

-Chris Brooks

I've blogged about my wanderings since 2003. I love roaming throughout the USA looking for remote public golf courses to play.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:17 AM, Chris Brooks said:

How does this sound? Any lurkers out there want to jump onboard? Attendees mentioned above, please confirm attendance for either or both events.

@mohearn and @RFKFREAK -- are you committed for this enough for me to start booking? Hiawatha is the only one we'll need a tee time for, but I'll want to give a heads up to Sullivan as well.

-Chris Brooks

3 hours ago, Chris Brooks said:

@mohearn and @RFKFREAK -- are you committed for this enough for me to start booking? Hiawatha is the only one we'll need a tee time for, but I'll want to give a heads up to Sullivan as well.

I will be there.

Play 18 at Sullivan from the "white/blue" tees? I looked at the scorecard and looks like they have different tees for  front 9 and back 9.  Could decide later, no worries, just thinking out loud. I'd like to walk or pushcart at Sullivan.

Hiawaha sounds good, never played there, so looking forward to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mike

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

On 7/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, mohearn said:

I will be there.

Play 18 at Sullivan from the "white/blue" tees? I looked at the scorecard and looks like they have different tees for  front 9 and back 9.  Could decide later, no worries, just thinking out loud. I'd like to walk or pushcart at Sullivan.

Hiawaha sounds good, never played there, so looking forward to it.

Excellent. I'll walk Sullivan as well, so let's plan on an early afternoon start there to get in 18. As we get closer I'll get the Hiawatha tee time (looks like a week out, and even today I see plenty of morning tee times for 7/29).

I'll be staying in the general area in my van so could grab dinner after Sullivan.

• Like 1

-Chris Brooks

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

• Contacted Sullivan County GC to give them a heads up and make sure there aren't any events that afternoon (Aug 25) that would conflict
  • I'll book the Links tee time on Aug 16 or 17. Judging by what I see know there will be no issues getting a good morning time.

Hey @RFKFREAK -- are you still in?

• Thumbs Up 1

-Chris Brooks

On 8/3/2023 at 8:11 AM, Chris Brooks said:

Quick update:

• Contacted Sullivan County GC to give them a heads up and make sure there aren't any events that afternoon (Aug 25) that would conflict
  • I'll book the Links tee time on Aug 16 or 17. Judging by what I see know there will be no issues getting a good morning time.

Hey @RFKFREAK -- are you still in?

Hey, sorry for going a bit MIA.

What time are you thinking?  I can't do the morning but something around 230 should work for me.

Alternatively I can do Sunday any time.  Apologies as things have gotten a bit hectic for me

Edited by RFKFREAK

Christian

14 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

What time are you thinking?  I can't do the morning but something around 230 should work for me.

2:30pm should be fine - plenty of daylight still, and Tom Coyne replied that there are no events that afternoon. Sadly he'll be golfing in Ireland while we are there so won't be able to greet us.

So, let's pencil in 2:30-ish for Friday golf at Sullivan County, and sometime Saturday morning at Hiawatha.

-Chris Brooks

23 minutes ago, Chris Brooks said:

2:30pm should be fine - plenty of daylight still, and Tom Coyne replied that there are no events that afternoon. Sadly he'll be golfing in Ireland while we are there so won't be able to greet us.

So, let's pencil in 2:30-ish for Friday golf at Sullivan County, and sometime Saturday morning at Hiawatha.

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant 230 on Saturday

Christian

18 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant 230 on Saturday

Ahh. I could make that work. @RFKFREAK I'm still not sure on your status for Sullivan County. Are you in or out for that?

@mohearn does the afternoon tee time at Hiawatha on Saturday work for you? 

-Chris Brooks

17 minutes ago, Chris Brooks said:

Ahh. I could make that work. @RFKFREAK I'm still not sure on your status for Sullivan County. Are you in or out for that?

Sullivan is Friday?

Christian

23 minutes ago, RFKFREAK said:

Sullivan is Friday?

Yes. Scroll up and you can see the detailed plan.

-Chris Brooks

1 hour ago, Chris Brooks said:

I can make that work. 

If I drove up there for Friday at Sullivan, and Saturday afternoon for Hiawatha, I might see if I can fit in 9 or 18 at En-joie in Endicott on Saturday morning. .En-joie hosted a PGA Tour Champions event won by Padraig Harrington earlier this year. Supposedly the course is in great shape, but I've never played there. En-joie is about 10 minutes from Hiawatha. It'd be a long day but it's golf! Open to anyone else joining for En-joie too, if it sounds appealing.

Mike