IGNORED

Tour Player vs. One Ball Rule (Literally ONE Ball)

iacas

• Administrator

I don't want to spoil it. It's worth reading. But basically…

On Thursday night, McCormick was working on his putting stroke in his hotel room, rolling a 2019 model of the Titielst Pro-V1 golf ball. It’s not the one he plays in competition—he uses a 2023 model—but he put it his bag nonetheless as he put his clubs away for the night.

The next day at the course, McCormick wound up picking that ball out of his bag when teeing off on his first hole, the course's 10th. That created a dilemma as all the other balls in his bag were the 2023 model. With the Model Local Rule G-4—also known as the One Ball Rule—in effect, that meant McCormick could only play the older model ball during the entirety of his second round. And since he had just the one, well, he knew he couldn’t lose it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Tour Player vs. One Ball Rule (Literally ONE Ball)

Once again, when a player forgets about a rule (or condition of competition) or chooses to ignore it, it's the rule's fault.

Edited by Missouri Swede

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Once again, when a player forgets about a rule (or condition of competition) or chooses to ignore it, it's the rule's fault.

Where was that? I don’t recall reading that in the story.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

I don't want to spoil it. It's worth reading. But basically…

On Thursday night, McCormick was working on his putting stroke in his hotel room, rolling a 2019 model of the Titielst Pro-V1 golf ball. It’s not the one he plays in competition—he uses a 2023 model—but he put it his bag nonetheless as he put his clubs away for the night.

The next day at the course, McCormick wound up picking that ball out of his bag when teeing off on his first hole, the course's 10th. That created a dilemma as all the other balls in his bag were the 2023 model. With the Model Local Rule G-4—also known as the One Ball Rule—in effect, that meant McCormick could only play the older model ball during the entirety of his second round. And since he had just the one, well, he knew he couldn’t lose it.

Like playing on tour was not enough pressure. I like that the guy who offered up some balls is paired with him on the final round & for the lead. 

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Where was that? I don’t recall reading that in the story.

In the title: 'insane' golf-ball rules conundrum 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

30 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

In the title: 'insane' golf-ball rules conundrum 

He knew the rule, the “conundrum” was he knew that if he lost that one ball he would be out if the tournament.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, StuM said:

He knew the rule, the “conundrum” was he knew that if he lost that one ball he would be out if the tournament.

Yeah, plus, he didn't say it: that's the author's writing/word.