IGNORED

Left Wrist Through Impact

nzperryus

My question is does the back of the left wrist need to point at the  target at impact or can it be facing the right of the target. I have found that I have to strengthen my grip to hit it straightish. For the life of me I can't supinate my left forearm enough to have it point at the target at impact. Is this a match up thing with my body anatomy?

51 minutes ago, nzperryus said:

My question is does the back of the left wrist need to point at the  target at impact or can it be facing the right of the target. I have found that I have to strengthen my grip to hit it straightish. For the life of me I can't supinate my left forearm enough to have it point at the target at impact. Is this a match up thing with my body anatomy?

It depends on how strong your grip is with your lead hand. A strong grip will actually be slightly cupped at impact and probably point right of the target.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Won't it be player specific depending on how strong/weak their grip is?

Kinda like how some players bow their wrist quite a bit at the top of the backswing and others are flat or even slightly cupped. I believe those are byproducts of their grip, or at least they have a grip that works with their desired wrist positioning.

It's somewhat difficult to say without seeing a swing of yours, but good chances are there are probably bigger things that need improvement in your (and just about every other amateur player) swing rather than the exact positioning of your lead wrist at impact. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I understand what you all are saying but shouldn't your grip be based on your natural ability to rotate your forearms without having to consciously thinking about it. I used to play a lot of golf and getting back into it.  I can still shoot in the 85s, because a good short game, but I miss several shots right until I strengthened my grip a hair and it got me thinking about this.

2 hours ago, nzperryus said:

I understand what you all are saying but shouldn't your grip be based on your natural ability to rotate your forearms without having to consciously thinking about it.

Nothing I wrote contradicts this statement, although some people have to consciously rotate their forearms in the golf swing. Feel is different for everyone.

Find a grip that matches your swing/release pattern. If you’re hitting the ball straight I’m not sure why you’re worried about the back of the lead hand pointing at the target.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 hours ago, nzperryus said:

I understand what you all are saying but shouldn't your grip be based on your natural ability to rotate your forearms without having to consciously thinking about it.

Some people have to consciously think about it (as a "feel" or a "swing thought") because they don't. There's very little about the golf swing that's "natural."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets