IGNORED

Shoes Suitable for Orthotics

I am looking for a new pair of shoes which will be able to take my orthotic insoles.

About 12 years ago I developed a Plantar Fasciitis injury.  After physio and stretching the long term "cure" was to have orthotic insoles in (most of) my shoes.  This has worked very well and until last month all was good.  Then I stupidly got caught up ceilidh dancing (I live in Scotland) after a few wines.  I didn't have any shoes on and the PF has returned with vengeance.  

I have been rollering, stretching & icing and thought it had gone away but yesterday 18 holes of golf has brought it back again.  My Ecco shoes get a fairly good rating for foot support and for helping with PF but they are too snug to allow the orthotics to be inserted.

If I knew what brands are suitable for replacing the stock insole with an orthotic I can then check what stores stock that brand.

Can anyone help?

53 minutes ago, Navrig said:

I am looking for a new pair of shoes which will be able to take my orthotic insoles.

About 12 years ago I developed a Plantar Fasciitis injury.  After physio and stretching the long term "cure" was to have orthotic insoles in (most of) my shoes.  This has worked very well and until last month all was good.  Then I stupidly got caught up ceilidh dancing (I live in Scotland) after a few wines.  I didn't have any shoes on and the PF has returned with vengeance.  

I have been rollering, stretching & icing and thought it had gone away but yesterday 18 holes of golf has brought it back again.  My Ecco shoes get a fairly good rating for foot support and for helping with PF but they are too snug to allow the orthotics to be inserted.

If I knew what brands are suitable for replacing the stock insole with an orthotic I can then check what stores stock that brand.

Can anyone help?

Check out True Linkswear. Several of their models have enough room for inserts. They are also very comfortable. I don’t wear orthotics but do use insert slides because I have high arches. 

At TRUE, we manufacture men's footwear, women's footwear, apparel and accessories built for the walking golfer. We believe golf attire should be comfortable, durable, and versatile both on...

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Check out True Linkswear. Several of their models have enough room for inserts. They are also very comfortable. I don’t wear orthotics but do use insert slides because I have high arches. 

At TRUE, we manufacture men's footwear, women's footwear, apparel and accessories built for the walking golfer. We believe golf attire should be comfortable, durable, and versatile both on...

Thanks Boogie'.  That's a new-to-me brand but unfortunately they don't seem to have any outlets in the UK and I prefer to try on before my first purchase of a new brand.

3 hours ago, Navrig said:

Can anyone help?

Oh brother. I feel your pain... Literally! 

I struggle off and on with Plantar Fasciitis. I have orthotics and I do the stretching and the physio and it works great to get rid of it. But inevitably, in my infinite wisdom, I stop doing the stretching and physio. ... Then in a few months or years later I'll stop wearing the orthotics. Then sooner or later, I wake up and first thing getting out of bed I'm like "OUCH!" Then I dig out the orthos, start the stretching and physio all over.  ... Rinse and repeat. 

My recommendation is similar to what @boogielicious suggested. Except I'll take it just one step farther. Go for any of the OG or original styles at True Links. The OG's and original's have zero drop, big toe boxes and plenty of room for the orthotics. I have owned Eccos in the past and they were fine, actually better than fine. But now the TrueLinks OG/originals are very literally the only golf shoes I wear. I swear by them. 

I assume TruLinks has a good return policy but I've never needed it as I've never wanted to return any of the shoes I've gotten from them. I don't think there are any outlets from which to try them out where I live either. I just ordered them and they were great right out of the box. 

One tip, you may consider searching for TruLinks at places like www.rockbottomgolf.com They often have very good deals. Again, in my opinion if you are going to put orthotics in them I recommend looking for the ones called original or OG. 

Good luck, with the golf, the shoes and especially the PF. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/21/2023 at 2:41 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Oh brother. I feel your pain... Literally! 

I struggle off and on with Plantar Fasciitis. I have orthotics and I do the stretching and the physio and it works great to get rid of it. But inevitably, in my infinite wisdom, I stop doing the stretching and physio. ... Then in a few months or years later I'll stop wearing the orthotics. Then sooner or later, I wake up and first thing getting out of bed I'm like "OUCH!" Then I dig out the orthos, start the stretching and physio all over.  ... Rinse and repeat. 

My recommendation is similar to what @boogielicious suggested. Except I'll take it just one step farther. Go for any of the OG or original styles at True Links. The OG's and original's have zero drop, big toe boxes and plenty of room for the orthotics. I have owned Eccos in the past and they were fine, actually better than fine. But now the TrueLinks OG/originals are very literally the only golf shoes I wear. I swear by them. 

I assume TruLinks has a good return policy but I've never needed it as I've never wanted to return any of the shoes I've gotten from them. I don't think there are any outlets from which to try them out where I live either. I just ordered them and they were great right out of the box. 

One tip, you may consider searching for TruLinks at places like www.rockbottomgolf.com They often have very good deals. Again, in my opinion if you are going to put orthotics in them I recommend looking for the ones called original or OG. 

Good luck, with the golf, the shoes and especially the PF. 

Thanks for this recommendation.  After a bit of a search I have found that True Links sell online in the UK and have a 30 day no quibble return on their shoes.  They can be even worn outside and returned if not right for the buyer.

I may have a more detailed look at the OGs.

Cheers. 

• 2 months later...

Quick update.  The pain persisted so I saw a physio who massage my foot and lower leg.  She felt that my cuboid (

) had dropped and she pushed it back into place.  Some stretching, rest and another physio session seems to have fixed it.  I am now walking and playing golf again albeit with some residual soreness for 12 hours after 18 holes.  I haven't tried running yet.

I investigated shoes whilst resting and found that my Ecco shoes were highly recommended for plantar fasciitis sufferers so no need  to change.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1