IGNORED

Side Bend and Chest Sway

Go save your back by watching the AGM video on side bend. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

I've never been a fan of what I call the "Right Side Bend" swing and have actively coached that out of some players who do it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

At 12:03 in the video they say the flexion has increased 40 degrees from P4 to P5, but the chest and pelvis are moving up? I'm confused how this works exactly. How is the spine flexing forward while the chest and pelvis move up? I've gone thru the video a few times and don't understand what's occurring here in the swing. Clearly it appears as if he is dipping downwards towards the ball, but he's moving up? 

Constantine

Credit whoever runs that AMG YouTube comment section, but they replied quickly to my questions. Really cool of them (or whoever this was). Including their response here to my post above.

1.PNG2.PNG

I hate to admit I'm still confused, but it's really cool they responded already. I'll continue to think about this. 

• Informative 1

Constantine

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JetFan1983 said:

At 12:03 in the video they say the flexion has increased 40 degrees from P4 to P5, but the chest and pelvis are moving up? I'm confused how this works exactly. How is the spine flexing forward while the chest and pelvis move up? I've gone thru the video a few times and don't understand what's occurring here in the swing. Clearly it appears as if he is dipping downwards towards the ball, but he's moving up? 

I'll answer it a bit below.

30 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Credit whoever runs that AMG YouTube comment section, but they replied quickly to my questions. Really cool of them (or whoever this was). Including their response here to my post above.

I hate to admit I'm still confused, but it's really cool they responded already. I'll continue to think about this. 

It's generally Mike, from what I understand. Anyway, try this on for size. I don't want to spend an hour on this, so ignore the really rough guesses at some general numbers.

image.jpeg

At P4, Rory is both:

• Extended (his spine is doing a bit of a "morning stretch")
  • Left tilted (his hips do most of this, and he's about 35-40° tilted left at the shoulders.

At P5, Rory has:

• Squared up his hips, meaning his spine tilting toward the ball is now from flexion forward, bending forward, or the opposite of a "morning stretch."
  • Still not quite in right tilt, but that is kinda beside the point as far as your question goes.

Does that make more sense? Try to picture this in 3D… but the pictures and the "sticks" here should help?

• Informative 3

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'll answer it a bit below.

It's generally Mike, from what I understand. Anyway, try this on for size. I don't want to spend an hour on this, so ignore the really rough guesses at some general numbers.

image.jpeg

At P4, Rory is both:

• Extended (his spine is doing a bit of a "morning stretch")
  • Left tilted (his hips do most of this, and he's about 35-40° tilted left at the shoulders.

At P5, Rory has:

• Squared up his hips, meaning his spine tilting toward the ball is now from flexion forward, bending forward, or the opposite of a "morning stretch."
  • Still not quite in right tilt, but that is kinda beside the point as far as your question goes.

Does that make more sense? Try to picture this in 3D… but the pictures and the "sticks" here should help?

Thank you so much. Yes, this helps a lot. Essentially, the pelvis will control a lot of how the flexion of the spine will behave, similar to how it also controls (or should control) the rate of trail side bend.

We're not supposed to manufacture these rates directly from the spine itself. We're supposed to use our pelvis correctly which will encourage our spine to react appropriately. The dip down in the torso from 4 to 5 that we see in 2D is largely created by the hips changing their orientation from trail side high, lead side low to a more level position.

• Thumbs Up 3

Constantine

Kind of makes you appreciate what we’re asking our spines to do in the golf swing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Kind of makes you appreciate what we’re asking our spines to do in the golf swing.

Ideally, we're asking them to do LESS, though, than what a lot of people are trying to do (or what someone like Will Zalatoris and Jason Day were doing).

• Thumbs Up 1