IGNORED

Woods and Irons

Buster1054

• Administrator

It's just what they're called.

What would you call woods? "Oh, this is my 3-Carbon-Titanium-Steel-Aluminum-Composite-Resin-Amalgamation"?

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

I never like it when announcers call clubs "metals." I am old and thoroughly used to hearing clubs called woods and irons. Toss in wedges, hybrids and putters and I think we are done. Inevitably, there will be some in favor of using "Composites" or "Alloys". We did eventually move away from cleeks, spoons and mashies. Maybe I am just holding on to irrelevant tradition. Sigh.

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

I still use the "hit it on the screws" from time to time.

• Funny 1

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

1 hour ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I never like it when announcers call clubs "metals." I am old and thoroughly used to hearing clubs called woods and irons. 

And yet on they have no problem calling every wooden club a persimmon even though they’re not all made of persimmon.

As @iacas said, it’s just what the clubs are called.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I never like it when announcers call clubs "metals." I am old and thoroughly used to hearing clubs called woods and irons. Toss in wedges, hybrids and putters and I think we are done. Inevitably, there will be some in favor of using "Composites" or "Alloys". We did eventually move away from cleeks, spoons and mashies. Maybe I am just holding on to irrelevant tradition. Sigh.

No, I agree it isn't an irrelevant tradition. We will see how it goes in the future. I would stick with woods and irons. Irons are an interesting example though, having kept their name even though these clubs haven't been made of iron for at least a century.