IGNORED

Perfect Pitch Shot

Note: This thread is 5981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So as I'm trying to develop more shots that I can utilize for scoring, I've been working on the flop and pitch shots.

I understand opening the blade and stance up for the flop shot.
I get that you have to hinge your wrist sooner on a pitch shot.

Although I've been able to accomplish each shot when it's been required, I still have a problem with over or under hitting each shot.

my problem lies when I'm about 20 yards away and want a light pitch over a small ditch that I could hit if I try to bump and run it.

or when I've got a big sand trap in front of me onto an elevated green and I want to flop it.

Do you low-mid handicappers have any tips on the best way to resolve this.. it's more anxiety than anything...I start questioning...where do I put my weight... am i hinging enough...is the ball too far up front in my stance... etc etc
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

I understand opening the blade and stance up for the flop shot.

The key is to make your setup and swing vary as little as possible from one time to the next. With that in mind I recommend you keep your weight pretty centered, your ball position pretty constant, and you feel like you brace your legs to minimize movement.

When it comes to the swing I recommend keeping the legs stable, the arms and body moving in sync back and through, and you let the speed of the swing be as naturally paced as possible (I like to feel like the club is dropping down at what I feel would be the speed of gravity pushing it down. I prefer to feel like I don't need to accelerate to get it to my target since that would add another factor that could make the distance vary from shot to shot). How far back you swing will depend on your swing and setup. You might find swinging from knee high to knee high is the right distance to swing to make the ball travel 20 yards, you might find you need to swing hip high to hip high, or left arm parallel to the ground on the way back and right arm parallel to the ground on the way through to be the right distance. You'll have to figure that out for yourself, but once you find it make a note of it, and try to make a swing that goes that same distance back and through every time you need to hit it 20 yards.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

in 20 yard elevated with bunker in between me and the green. i would use a flop shot. if your righty. aim your feet like 45 degrees left of your target and set up the ball in the middle of your stance. open the face of your club ( i would use a SW) til it aims at your target. grip it and swing your club along the line your feet are set up. weight is on your front foot. if it was me i would proabably give it a 1/4 swing. remember you want to keep the face of the club open.
good luck trying to figure it out.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

So, If I'm understanding this correctly,

Open your stance, but keep the leading edge of the wedge pointed to the target? Do you then swing towards the target or across your feet? For a pitch shot from a tight lie on the fairway, I've been opening my stance about 10 degrees to the left and then pointing my wedge's leading edge 20 degrees from my feet line. Thus, my feet and wedge are symmetrical to the target line. I then swing on the target line. I do this to increase my bounce on the shot. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Mark :)

So, If I'm understanding this correctly,

For a flop shot you have to swing across your feet, if you swing at your target you will more than likley knife it, or you will hit it alright but go way right.

So as I'm trying to develop more shots that I can utilize for scoring, I've been working on the flop and pitch shots.

You may want to consider not playing in "no man's land" also. The Pros avoid it like the plague and play to a more solid full shot distance of possible say 100 or 110. If your always "just short" anyway and get stuck with these feel/need alot of practice shots, try hitting to a distance where you can hone a more reliable up and down shot. To master the short game requires a grip, solid consistant setup and tecnique where you hit down on the ball and do not lift or scoop the ball. Once you are spinning the ball and know it will not run hot/thin off the green, the feel comes quick with some practice.

if you want a very use full shot on the fringe close the face and pintch the back of the ball

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...

I didn't read everyone else's posts so sorry if I repeat...

Biggest thing on a 20yd pitch shot over a hazard is confidence. Play it as though the bunker didn't exist. You don't necessarily have to change anything in your ball positioning or your posture, just play it normally and with a lot of confidence.

As for the 20 yd pitch shot, I play it almost like a "dead-arm" swing. I have very little hand/wrist movement and use my big muscles (Shoulders, triceps) to make the swing. Be sure to "pinch" the ball between the turf and the club, and this will help generate spin.

If you really need to get the ball in the air, that's when you can start to break the wrist a little more. On a dead-arm shot, the ball will come out lower with more spin. When you begin to break your wrists, it will help get the ball up higher and land softer, however it will release more because it has less spin. Think of this shot as a 1/4 full swing, whereas the dead arm shot is more of an extremely exaggearated putting/chipping stroke.

Hope this can help in some way!
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Iv'e been working on my 20, 30 and 40 yard shots a lot lately.

I've found a slower backswing to your desired stop point, then an accelerating (...slightly) downswing. My oldest son said it sort of looks like "Boom Booms" swing, which is a compliment I will readily accept!

I just focus on swinging through the ball at least 4 inches with a very neutral grip, it has improved my game.

good luck

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Note: This thread is 5981 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!