IGNORED

5-wood Shaft in Driver

thinking of experimenting with shorter shaft in driver. i know shortening the length will throw off swing weight and i will play with lead tape to see what changes i can make as i progress but my main question was about the shaft and stiffness. 

i normally play a stiff so would it be beneficial to get an extra stiff 5-wood shaft to compensate for club head weight? 

On 7/7/2024 at 11:55 AM, Navistar00 said:

thinking of experimenting with shorter shaft in driver. i know shortening the length will throw off swing weight and i will play with lead tape to see what changes i can make as i progress but my main question was about the shaft and stiffness. 

i normally play a stiff so would it be beneficial to get an extra stiff 5-wood shaft to compensate for club head weight? 

Aren’t driver heads typically lighter than woods? If you play a shorter shaft, you’re shortening the lever, effectively making it feel stiffer.

I think shaft weight is more important here and often overlooked by a lot of golfers.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A 5 wood shaft in a driver head… no. Like Bill said, head weight of a FW and driver are a lot different.  The tip section of a 5 wood shaft is designed to be played in a head with a 5 wood weight… not driver weight.

I’ve tip trimmed a driver shaft for a 5 wood and THAT has worked but I’d never go the other way.

Yea, I agree. I would 100% cut down a driver shaft rather than go with a 5-wood shaft. 

Note, there are some issues with this. 

1. It becomes a bit stiffer because its shorter. 
2. It becomes much lighter; you may need to look at adding weight to both the clubhead and the grip

Probably some other things in there as well. 

I recommend just getting fitted for a driver and inquire about it with the fitter. 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: