IGNORED

The Need for Speed (and Other Things)

Hi folks.

I am a very average golfer with a handicap of 11.5.  I've been playing properly since about 2021.  I am in my 30's and pretty out of shape. I'm overweight and fairly high body fat %. I feel as if I lack balance, and stability and also strength/power. 

One thing I have always lacked is distance. On a relatively decent strike, my driver carries 220 at best, my 7 iron 130-140 and so on. My driver CHS as of 2023 was between 95-100mph. Now I'm high 80's to low 90's, so I've lost speed even from then. I'm pretty sure in 2022 I was even averaging 98-105mph at one point. I understand that my numbers are very playable for most golf courses. I understand that a more consistent strike and better mechanics will assist with distance. 

I play at a lot of different courses all at various lengths thought society competitions and mini tours etc. On the longer courses I struggle even on a good ball striking day. I'm having to hit driver then 3 wood/hybrid/long irons on longer holes. Meanwhile my playing partners are anywhere between 30-50 plus yards past me off the tee. On the shorter courses I play well and score better because I can hit driver then 7/8 iron etc. Now there is a bit of ego here as well - don't get me wrong and I accept that but it seems really obvious to me that an easy way to improve my scores is to add some distance to my game. 

So yeah, I want to add distance to my game. The way I understand it (please correct me if I am wrong or missing anything) is that distance comes from the following;

- Good swing mechanics
- Consistently good ball striking
- Flexibility and Mobility
- Strength/ Power
- Overspeed training

My plan for this winter is as follows;

- Workouts using Fit for Golf app, also flexibility and mobility work.
- Better diet, eating more healthily and consistently to help with losing body fat and gaining strength
- Overspeed training with The Stack (or another)
- Continue to work on mechanics with coach and practice
- Continue to get out and play golf when weather allows

I do understand that I may also lose any ability to hit a golf ball as well if I properly go for it, but that's where the coach comes in. I don't see any real reason (unless there's an underlying health issue - but I wouldn't have thought that to be the case) that if I am consistent with the plan that come spring I should have added some speed and distance throughout the bag.

Anyone have any tips/advice?

• iacas changed the title to The Need for Speed (and Other Things)

Looks like your plan is a good one. 

Like anything in life and/or golf you'll get out of it what you put into it. 

Personally, I find that chasing speed and chasing mechanics at the same time can be very challenging for me. So, be sure to let your swing coach know that you are trying to increase your swing speed. He/she can help you keep your mechanics under control while you are chasing better swing speed. 

The only thing I can also add is that some folks find that learning to play a draw helps them gain distance. That's not always the case, but it often helps. 

Good luck with the plan. Stick to it and you will see results. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades