IGNORED

How often do you use a 3 wood?

MrSandman
Note: This thread is 5864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

EDIT: Title should say 3 Wood!!!

I am debating about adding a 3W to my bag, but I don't know how often I would use it.

I doubt I would use it off the tee very much, so how often do 3 wood distances arise on the course? I sort of view anything over 220 as simply out of reach, but if I have an open fairway then I will hit my driver off the deck (probably goes about 230 off the deck).

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

my 3-wood is 13.5 degrees which limits it to shots 220 and over. With the shaft on it hard to get lift with anything less than a full swing. For a titleist club, there isnt much finesse in the one that I have. So I use it from the tees most of the time. I carry it about 220-230. Ill use it on a long par 5 as well if im in the short grass. I could probably play without it and not really notice.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I could probably play without it and not really notice.

That's my question.

I played yesterday, and I can only think of one shot where I would have used 3 wood. I hit driver off the deck, maybe only about 220 yards, but had 85 yards in and got up and down for the bird. Other than that, I can't think of too many times I would use a 3 wood in a round. I am sure it would be a more consistant and solid strike than a driver off the deck, but I maybe use that once a round. Then again, my 2H and 3I have similar distances, and there isn't a huge gap between my 3I and 5I, so i could probably drop either my 3I or 4I and add a 3 wood. The debate I am having right now.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I carry a 4 wood and usually hit it on par 4's that are between 330 and 400 yards. I usually end up hitting it as many times as I hit driver in a round, which is 3 or 4 times off of tees and maybe 1 or 2 times going for par 5's in 2.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

That's my question.

I guess it really depends on the course you're playing. If the place where you hit only one 3 wood is your home course, then it probably woundnt hurt you to drop it and replace it with another club. But then again, I find its a be a better driving club in high winds because you have to hit down on it. It might hold its line better in the wind than a driver.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

How far do you hit your 3 wood in comparison to your driver and hybrid/3 iron?

What's in the bag

Well the carry distance between my driver and 3 wood is considerable. I carry my driver from anywhere from 250-260 my 3wood anywhere from 220-230. Maybe 240 if i ramp up the mojo.

There is only about a 10-15 yard difference in carry between my 18 hybrid and my 3 wood. But the ball flights are much different. My 3ood has a much more flat flight while my hybrid has a more loopy arc.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

I used to not use it. Before I'd be all about trying to bomb the drive 270+ down the course and not really worry where the ball went...i'd recover out of the rough, sand, etc. Now that I'm more comfortable with longer irons mainly 4 - 6, I'll take 240 with my 3 wood straight down the middle over a long drive... unless it's a long par 4 playing at over 400 or high 3's uphill, i'll tee off with a 3 wood for accuracy so i'm ensured a higher % 2nd shot.
I still don't know why my 3 wood that'd 43" long is much easier to hit compared to my driver that's 45.5" long.... there's such a big difference in spray.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

The only wood I carry is a driver. I get 225 from my 4-iron (the magic club) and I just can't find the need to stock one...

rusrus

Stand Bag: Grom
Driver: R5 Dual
Irons (3-P): 735CM StainlessWedge 52: FEEL DesignerWedge 56: FEEL DesignerWedge 60: FEEL DesignerPutter: Natalie 35"

I use it off the tee 2 or 3 times a round. Also use it for low shots under trees when the "ahem...the "Big Dog""..gets me in trouble.

I can hit a draw or a fade much eaisier with a 3 wood, also use it for around the green also.... once you get used to the distance control you can be pretty damn deadly with it.

It's probably my second favorite club behind my 8 iron.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

The course I play is pretty short under 7000 yards. I had a 3 wood in my bag for a couple of years and never used it. I recently added a 5 wood which I can nail 220 down the center from the tee box, the rough, or the fairway.
So now I use the 5 wood all the time and leave the 3 wood in the car.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

I'll probably hit 3 wood off the tee two or three times a round and off the fairway another couple of times, it depends on the course.

So all up I'd probably use it on average four times a round which is more often than I'll hit my five iron and I can't see myself leaving that out of the bag either.

i love my 3 wood i get it real high in the air off the deck and use it as a back up driver for short par 4s

Also I use it to set up second shots for example: a 360 par 4 I would hit a 235 3 wood(in the fairway of course ) and then hit a 9i to the green

If i had hit driver i would be left with an ackward distance between 90 and 310yds

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

Note the sig. Right now all the time! It's a good choice on narrow holes. Find one that's easy to hit off the deck and par 5s become good scoring holes.

LOL

The sig says it all

Da Big Dog Ain't Eatin Today

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

I probably hit mine off the tee 2-3 times per round and probably 3-4 times off the deck, either on a reachable par 5 or on a 4 when I hit a bad drive. On non-reachable par 5's I'll usually hit it anyway unless there is a hazard since I'm pretty good hitting pitches and I like to be in that range. I can hit it pretty straight and about 220 off the deck, but it never goes more than about 30 feet in the air; I probably carry my hybrids farther but they don't get as much roll.

Off the tee I can get it out there probably about 235 with a much higher trajectory than off the deck. I hit my driver about 250 when I catch it right, but usually it stays low. I also go to the 3 wood if I'm wild with the driver, its usually easier to control.

Driver: Callaway X460 Tour
3 Wood: Callaway X
Hybrid: Adams A3
Irons: X20 Tour 4-PW
Wedges: X-Forged 50, 54 & 58

Depending on the course, but I really never use my 3 wood, I think I used it only Once or twice this year! My driver was so consistent I didnt need to hit it off the tee, and I wasn't really far out enough to hit it.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I can draw/fade my 3-Wood easier than I can do those things with my driver. I'm not a big believer in 3W as a "backup" driver for days when your driver isn't going well, so I don't really use it for that. When I become able to shot-shape with a driver, my 3W will likely be taken out in favor of another scoring club.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5864 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!