IGNORED

nicest golf course you have played

GOLFSALOT00
Note: This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Eh, a split for me between:

The Challenge at Manele Bay in Hawaii, Rancho Santa Fe Country Club, and Four Seeasons Aviara, both in San Diego.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had the opportunity to play many top end courses but here are my favorites so far:
I'm planning to get out of the area for golf starting this year (hopefully). Have only ever played one course outside of Pennsylvania. And it was not nice....

"Nicest" is pretty vague and obviously subjective. Highest ranked on a particular list? Best manicured? Best service? Best location/views? Most private? Toughest? Most expensive? Personal favorite?

For me, it would go something like this:

Highest ranked on Golf Digest's 100 Greatest American Courses - Shadow Creek (#27); Will be Pebble (#6) on June 4th.

Highest ranked on Golf Digest's 100 Greatest Courses Outside of US - St. Andrews, Old (#2)

Best manicured - This is a tough one to recall, but Bellerive CC here in St. Louis was in immaculate shape when I played it just a month or so before the Sr. US Open and the Prince Course at the Princeville Resort in Kuaui was damn near perfect. There have been many others with green-like fairways, carpet-like greens and lush, green rough.

Best service - Kind of one out of left field here probably because I just played it, but The Grand Golf Club in San Diego blew me away. I wasn't even staying at the resort, but they valet parked my car, were super nice in the pro shop thanking me over and over for visiting their course and carried my bag to the practice range where they had Titleist balls. As we walked over, the "practice range" caddie said if I preferred Nike or Callaway balls, that they would pull those out for me! Coolers were everywhere with complimentary candy bars, granola bars, coke, water, gatorade and wet towels. It goes on from here, but I'll spare you. Shadow Creek in Vegas was even better but I'll leave it at that.

Best location/views - Hard to beat the Old Course, but certainly the Makena South course in Southwestern Maui was pretty awesome considering you could always see the ocean with a gorgeous view of the crater island Molokini and since it was March, I saw at least two dozen whales throughout my round. Course was beautiful as well; probably should be in "best manicured" list above.

Most private - I have not played any, what I would call, "elite" private courses. I'm scheduled to play Columbia CC in late May just outside of DC which I understand may qualify. And this summer I'm playing St. Louis CC which definitely qualifies. The story goes, they denied the Busch family a membership, so the Busch family started their own club (which I belong to). Also, Ed Whitacre, CEO of AT&T; at the time wanted to belong and they wouldn't let him, so he moved the entire AT&T; HQ to San Antonio (there's obviously some embellishment to these stories, but the premise remains - they are PICKY!)

Toughest - According to Golf Digest's America's 50 Toughest Courses, TPC Sawgrass' Stadium Course would be it for me. And my 110 would support that. I played it once before the re-design and immediately after the re-design. It got tougher for sure. When I played Carnoustie though, with the wind howling steady at 20-25mph and gusting much higher, I'd say it was definitely tougher than Sawgrass. I shot a 102 and thought it was one of the best rounds of my life!

Most expensive - That would be Shadow Creek, $500 plus caddie tip. Believe it or not, this was worth it to me. Great experience, superb service, awesome setting.

Personal favorite - Tough one again. Pebble will be, I think, since I'll be playing with my dad. But The Old Course was almost a spiritual event for me; it was THAT awesome. Kingsbarns, just down the road which I played later that day, also ranks as one of my top 3 favorites and I rank it a "must-play" if you make the trek to St. Andrews.

Hoofer Vantage Bag Carrying:
DRIVER Fusion FT-3 Driver Proforce V2 65 Graphite Stiff
FAIRWAY WOOD G10 4-Wood
HYBRID G10 21 Degree
IRONS MX-25 Irons 3 thru PW Precision Rifle Shafts & Golf Pride GripsWEDGES CG10 56 & 60 Degree WedgesPUTTER 2-Ball SRT BALL ProV1xCLUB ...

Pine Valley
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Torrey Pines South after the Buick Invitational.
Close second would be Maderas or Rancho Sante Fe CC
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Private:
Oakland Hills South Course
Oakland Hills North Course
Franklin Hills
Detroit Golf Club
Knollwood CC

Public:
Boyne Arthur Hills
Boyne Donald Ross Memorial
Boyne Moore
Boyne Heathers
Garland Swampfire
Garland Monarch
Garland Reflections
Black Forest
The Natural
The Loon
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

i live in the same neighborhood as the castle pines golf club(where international was held) and i see it everyday but never play it(grrrr frustrating)

in my x72 stand bag
g10 driver 10.5
g10 3-wood 15.5
g10 3 iron hybrid
cg gold with actionlite flighted vokey spin milled oil can 56 t35 60 degree anser 2 putterz urs

My top 2 probably are:

1.) We Ko Pa Golf Course
2.) Troon North - Pinnacle course

I've played a # of other great courses while I lived in Phoenix, AZ for 2 years.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

Redstone Golf Course, Tournament Course, home of the Shell Houston Open.

Driver: TaylorMade r7 460 / 11.5 degrees
Irons: Titleist 822 OS (4, 5, 6)  Titleist 962 (7, 8, 9, P, G)
Putter: Tear Drop
Ball: Precept Laddie
Wedges: Golfsmith Snake Eyes 56 degrees / 60 degrees

18 Hole Low:  67   /  9 Hole Low:  31

On May 18th I'm playing Mystic Rocks, where the used to play the PGA tour's 84 Lumber Classic. This will be the nicest course I've played by far due to my lack of playing the game; this is my second season, and I'm only 15. I'm going with my friend, his dad, and his dads friends. Also were are getting a deal where the green fee is like 65 percent cheaper, so I'm pumped for it.

In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

I was lucky enough to spend quite a few holidays in St. Andrews , Scotland with my father as a child and the memories still remain strong despite the 30 years or so that have passed. Other courses that immediately come to mind are Alwoodley, Woburn, Royal Birkdale, Fulford (all in England) , Torrequebrada and Mijas (both in Southern Spain) and Villamoura (Portugal).

I plan to visit a friend in Charlotte, North Carolina in the not too distant future and would love the chance to play some of the better courses in that area during my visit. Recommendations anyone ?

I was spoiled, as I lived in Hawaii for 4 years while attending high school...Father was in the hotel business, which provided some great contacts on the best courses. Played just about all the signature courses in the islands, but my favorites-

Ka'anapali
Mauna Kea
Princeville
Makaha West
Kapalua Plantation

Ko Olina was pretty new when I played it, and I seem to remember was really too young to have opened. Seemed like it would develop nicely though...

I forget the names of so many of the other gems there. The military courses were always a treat.

The Pali was hands down the best Muni course I have ever seen. Challenging, scenic, and was in great condition when I played, at least.

Still trying to figure out why I thought that college in the mainland was a good idea!

In My Bag:

Driver: Si3 380
3 & 4 Woods: Eye-o-matic Persimmons (yes...Persimmons)
Irons: 3-PW R7 TP S300Wedges: Karsten II 57* SW, Vokey 54.10 and 58.08 Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: White Hot SabertoothBall: Pro V1x"That's the easiest shot in golf....a short chip into the sand."

Augusta National

lucky punk. how'd you play?

Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

Whistling Straights is the finest golfing experiance. The courses at the world golf hall of fame are also excellent. I say experiance because the course is only part of the whole day

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Augusta National and Kiawah Ocean Course.

lucky punk. how'd you play?

No doubt...I'd trade all my top five for one round at Augusta...

In My Bag:

Driver: Si3 380
3 & 4 Woods: Eye-o-matic Persimmons (yes...Persimmons)
Irons: 3-PW R7 TP S300Wedges: Karsten II 57* SW, Vokey 54.10 and 58.08 Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: White Hot SabertoothBall: Pro V1x"That's the easiest shot in golf....a short chip into the sand."

My personal top five in order of sweetness:

very nice!

for me... 1) Pine Needles 2) Cedar River at Shanty Creek 3) Shepard's Hollow 4) Red Hawk 5) Indianwood CC (old course)
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

Note: This thread is 5808 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!