IGNORED

Guess the ruling 3a,3b

blue3715
Note: This thread is 5849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These are rules from the USGA rule book... see if you rule correct.

Situation

3a. In a match your caddy has dropped your bag just short of the green.
You go back 20 yds and skull your wedge shot which ends up wedged under the bag. Moving the bag will cause the ball to move.

3b. Same issue, but it's your opponents' caddy and oppenents' clubs.

You obviously need to move the bag, you mark the spot and remove the bag, the ball rolls.

Do you

1. Play it as it lies
2. Place it at the mark with a 1 stroke penalty
3. Redo the shot
4. drop the ball on the other side of the green (with penalty?)

Answer and Ruling here:

hints, 3a and 3b are different answers, and where the ball lies.

3a. rule 19.2
Answer is #4.. with a stroke penalty
If a player’s ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by himself,
his partner or either of their caddies or equipment, the player
incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be played as it lies,
except when it comes to rest in or on the player’s, his partner’s
or either of their caddies’ clothes or equipment, in which case the
ball must through the green or in a hazard be dropped...

if the ball wasn't wedged in the equipment, you play it as it lies with a 1 stroke penalty.

3b. Rule 19.3
If a player’s ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by an
opponent, his caddie or his equipment, there is no penalty.
The player may, before another stroke is made by either side,
cancel the stroke and play a ball, without penalty, as nearly
as possible at the spot from which the original ball was
last played (see Rule 20-5) or he may play the ball as it lies.

so if the player wishes to play the shot he must follow rule 19.2 in the same manner, but without penalty.

When it says through the green, it means you must assume the ball rolled thru the green across to the other side.. you dont get to drop the ball on the front of the green, that would allow you to benefit from the deflection.. again assuming the ball ended up in the equipment.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

I gotta tell you this is not a great quiz and also not a very good explaination of the rule itself.

You gave the answer as #4
3a. rule 19.2

That is incorrect. Plus the shot penalty comes from hitting your equipment and has nothing to do with the ball moving when the equipment is moved. You did not give a correct answer for what happens. Plus if the ball was at rest under the equipment and moves while moving the equipment it would not be played as it lies. It is at rest and therefor would have to be moved back to its original position.

I don't mean to get on you but if you are going to post all these rules threads please for the benefit of the readers be clear and for gods sakes be correct.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From your "spoiler"-

When it says through the green, it means you must assume the ball rolled thru the green across to the other side..

Um, no. That isn't what "through the green" means....Through the Green refers to the entire course, with the exceptions of the tee/green of the hole being played, and all hazards.

In My Bag:

Driver: Si3 380
3 & 4 Woods: Eye-o-matic Persimmons (yes...Persimmons)
Irons: 3-PW R7 TP S300Wedges: Karsten II 57* SW, Vokey 54.10 and 58.08 Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: White Hot SabertoothBall: Pro V1x"That's the easiest shot in golf....a short chip into the sand."

I gotta tell you this is not a great quiz and also not a very good explaination of the rule itself.

yes you are correct, whether the ball ended up in your equipment or not its still a penalty, the latter movement of the ball was secondary.

The rule I copied in should be quite clear, it';s from the handbook. I don't see how it's wrong if I copied it from the USGA rules. Maybe the situation was too complicated... simply you hit your equipment (penalty) or your opponents.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

Its not that the situation is too complicated, your interpretation is incorrect.
Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

i may have been incorrect about the bll moving when moving the bad out of the way. I was referring to the part of the rule where the ball becomes lodged in the equipment. I guess I could have said the ball rolled into the bag, but that seemed unlikely.

ignoring that, the ideas was to note what to penalize and/or where to drop if the players or opponents equipment interfered. that's the more likely (and simpler) situation.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW

3a. 2 (Rule 19-2)

3b. 3 (Rule 19-3)

You don't seem to know what through the green means. See the definition in the Rules of Golf (hint: it has nothing to do with the putting green - the putting green is not even part of the area defined as through the green ). #4 is NOT the correct answer.

If the ball moves you replace it and incur a one stroke penalty for hitting your own equipment. If it hits your opponent's equipment (match play), then you have the option of replaying the stroke with no penalty. If it hits your fellow competitor's equipment (stroke play), then the ball is played as it lies, because the fellow competitor is an outside agency and Rule 19-1 applies. If the ball lies on or in the fellow competitor's equipment, it is treated as movable obstruction and you would proceed under Rule 24-1.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

good point, I had trouble finding what "thru the green meant". Can you post the definition for all, as it's not all that clear

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW

good point, I had trouble finding what "thru the green meant". Can you post the definition for all, as it's not all that clear

What I will do is post the link to the USGA Rules of Golf. It's an excellent resource, and when you have a rules question, it will help your understanding of the rules if you first try and find the answer for yourself. If you have any question on how to use the site or how to relate the rules and the decisions to each other, I'll be happy to help you out. Here's the link:

Rules of Golf Click on Section II - Definitions, then scroll down to "through the green". The first step in learning the Rules of Golf is to know the Definitions. A lot of Rules questions can be answered simply by knowing the terminology. If the meaning of through the green is still unclear, I'll be happy to explain further.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 5849 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!