IGNORED

What is wrong with the golf Channel ???

kregan
Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I am watching the coverage of the Players and every time they go to the 17th hole it's "he's hitting a wedge" great info!?!?

How about being a little more specific... was it a 48, 50, 52, or what?

Don't you think it would be great if they would tell you exactly what type of wedge was used all around the course? They don't seem to have a problem telling us its a 5 iron or whatever but I rarely hear them specify pitching, sand, gap, or lob wedge?

I think that would be a tremendous help to the average golfer wanting to learn some of those shots to know what the different players are using.

Kelly

www.finescale360.com

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Based on the distance, today, I believe it was 142 yards, it would have to be a Pitching Wedge. I can't see any of the players using a Gap Wedge or Sand Wedge from that distance.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Based on the distance, today, I believe it was 142 yards, it would have to be a Pitching Wedge. I can't see any of the players using a Gap Wedge or Sand Wedge from that distance.

I wouldn't say that. Based on this forum there are probably a couple of people who hit the old 60 degree in at 17.

I wouldn't say that. Based on this forum there are probably a couple of people who hit the old 60 degree in at 17.

You're right. With a 3/4 swing, too.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

You're right. With a 3/4 swing, too.

I would probably hit my 64*... only problem is that I spin it so hard that it would likely spin back into the water even if I landed it on the very back.

My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I'd use my lofted putter and show them how it's done.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

A lofted putter with a knockdown shot...that's where it's at. haha.

When they say wedge on a tee shot the first thing that comes to my mind is the PW.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Most of them were using PW yesterday. Saw a couple try SW, and a few 9I.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

Els put a SW in the water. My Nephew played there twice and flew the green with a 9 iron. The next time he put a PW into heart but it bounced hard and rolled to the back fringe. He said the green has an easy spot to hit but the putt is impossible from there, to all pin locations. I'd be happy with that impossible putt but it seems the pros are taking dead aim.

My draw is your cut.

My bag-
Driver- Callaway X460 Tour. 9.5 degree, Fujikura stiff.
3-Wood- Taylor Made V-SteelUtility- Nickent 3DX 17 degreeIrons (3-PW) Ping S59'sWedges Cleveland 900 series 58 degree, Titleist Vokey 54 degree SWPutter- Scotty Cameron Circa #2Ball- Taylor Made Tour Red

No, Id be able to use my driver, and roll it along that little strip of grass into the hole.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Really I would try to use a nice flop shot, and land it right by the hole

In the Bag:

Driver 10.5 r7 460 ti Reax regular shaft
3 Wood 15.5 LD F Speed Aldila NV stiff shaft
Hybrids 19 Tour Burner Rescue Reax stiff shaft. 21 degree torch series saber shaftIrons Sliver Scot 4-pw Rifle 5.0 shaftsSand Wedge 56 Degree Cg10 Black pearl finish 2 dotLob Wedge 60...

why don't they just tell you what club the guy is hitting before the shot everytime? that would be useful

why don't they just tell you what club the guy is hitting before the shot everytime? that would be useful

Only the on-course commentators communicate with the caddy to get the club. That means we only hear it for the two featured groups in most cases.

They may have additional spotters on the par 3's...not sure. Other than that, it's probably best guess from the booth. Who's gonna question it? PW sounds about right for the 17th

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

So I am watching the coverage of the Players and every time they go to the 17th hole it's "he's hitting a wedge" great info!?!?

the majority of the guys I seen were hitting a 9i

They actaully did say it was the pitching wedge for a lot of guys on 17. I was thinking the same thing though... if they made a better effort to say what club was being used on every shot. As a beginner to golf, it would be really helpful in learning how to manage a course

• Administrator
They actaully did say it was the pitching wedge for a lot of guys on 17. I was thinking the same thing though... if they made a better effort to say what club was being used on every shot. As a beginner to golf, it would be really helpful in learning how to manage a course

Color me a bit confused - why would knowing what a pro hits on a 130-yard par three help you? Do you hit your pitching wedge the same distance as the average PGA Tour pro?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!