IGNORED

Calculating own handicap?

Ruari
Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want to figure out my own handicap but I only play 9 holes usually. Also I play the ball up so it will be a cheater handicap anyways.

But I still want to know. I know that is is your 10 best rounds out of your last 20, but how do I account for the slope of the course?

any thoughts?

Round------Rating---Slope---Score
Round #1 --- 62----98---80
Round #2 --- 71----119--74
Round #3 --- 72.7--128---90
Round #4 --- 70.4--121---84
Round #5 --- 72----135---76

I imputed my last 5 rounds doubling my front 9 scores for the rounds I only played 9 holes.

I used two websites
http://golf.about.com/od/handicaps/l...dicapincal.htm
and
http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfhcapcalc.html

results were 2.6 and 2.7

These seem to low especially since I posted a 90 and 84 on an easy courses? any thoughts.

• Administrator
Round------Rating---Slope---Score

When you only put in five rounds, only your best round counts:

62/98 (80) = 20.8 71/119 (74) = 2.8 72.7/128 (90) = 21.7 70.4/121 (84) = 12.7 72/135 (76) = 3.3 (that's without multiplying by 0.96). The USGA rules say with five rounds, your best one counts. So that's your 2.8 (or 2.7 with the 0.96 multiplier). Frankly, I'm wondering how you shot 80 on what looks like an executive course (62/98), yet you shot 76 and 74 on tougher-than-average courses. You sure you got all of them right? A variance from 2.7 to 21+?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Also, you mention you cheat a little bit. So it really isnt a true handicap.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

When you only put in five rounds, only your best round counts:

That makes sense. As I add more rounds will the other scores come into play?

Frankly, I'm wondering how you shot 80 on what looks like an executive course (62/98), yet you shot 76 and 74 on tougher-than-average courses. You sure you got all of them right? A variance from 2.7 to 21+?

The 80 was actually a 40 on 9 holes, so I doubled the score. It was also last year and I am playing much better this year. It seems you are hinting that I am a bigger cheater than I even admit myself to be, but I assure you my only cheating is playing the ball up.

Furthermore on the cheating, my league plays the ball up, so alot of my scores are lower than they would be otherwise. But I am not going to stop playing the ball up as this would be a great advantage to my competition.

• Administrator
Furthermore on the cheating, my league plays the ball up, so alot of my scores are lower than they would be otherwise. But I am not going to stop playing the ball up as this would be a great advantage to my competition.

Uh, don't post those rounds for handicap. You're not supposed to be posting rounds in which you cheat.

Ohh, and should I double my 9 hole rounds or enter them as 9 hole rounds?

No, you shouldn't, really. Courses can have different ratings on the front and back (both slope and rating). Unless you know the separate nine ratings/slopes...

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

In the UK, you have to post 3 cards and an average score is calculated and thus a handicap is given. I dont see any point in cheating because when you can't play to your handicap by some margin you will look like a knobhead.

Anon.

i calculate all of my rounds, an only 18 hole rounds. so does that mean if i chose my best 10 outa 20 then my handicap is really lower than what i think it is? also how to you calculate nine hole rounds.

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

If its a nine hole course, then you can go round twice and that is legitimate. If it is an 18 hole course, and you play only 9 holes you can't just double it ..that would not be legitimate.

You cant award yourself an official handicap anyway- a club secretary will do that for you. If you are playing and have an unofficial handicap on a municipal course, you need to agree with your playing partners a suitable handicap for you . But, beware, they will cut you to ribbons if you keep winning and you could end up with a plus handicap when you next play.

You play the ball up and only play nine holes. You will never have an official handicap playing under those types of conditions. Why don't you just calculate your handicap on an Excel spreadsheet? Punch in the formula and keep it for personal reference. At the very least, though, you can provide your playing partners with an idea of your handicap.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Administrator
If its a nine hole course, then you can go round twice and that is legitimate. If it is an 18 hole course, and you play only 9 holes you can't just double it

Again, the ratings and slope can be different for each nine, so really it isn't legit unless you know that.

This may be a stupid question, but what is playing up? Never heard that one before.

In myBagBoy Revolver: HiBore XL 10.5° ⢠HiBore 3W ⢠Halo 2i, 3i & 4i
MX900 5-PW ⢠MP-R 52-07° & 58-10° ⢠Studio Select Squareback 1

Carl Spackler: This is a hybrid. This is a cross of Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff...

This may be a stupid question, but what is playing up? Never heard that one before.

Giving it a roll.

Fluffing the ball up. Improving your lie. Playing the game in an easier format than is intended ("cheating").

• Administrator

Some would define it with one word: "Cheating."

Basically, the opposite of playing the ball down. Moving it onto better lies, usually by rolling it around with your clubhead.

The USGA made a change this year that allows 9 hole scores to be posted and combined. While you can post any 9 hole score, it will only be used when combined with another. At my club, it recognizes a 9 hole score and I select the 9 that was played. The computer then automatically saves it or combines it if another 9 hole score was saved.

IMO, if you played 18 holes more often you would realize that simply doubling your 9 hole score is not a very accurate representation of your true score.

As far as the 'cheater' comments, I wouldn't sweat it. If you are playing in a league, then you should play by the league rules.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 5844 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!