IGNORED

Golf Mentality?

Dent
Note: This thread is 5847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have my high school golf tryout tomorrow. Starting at 4 and playing 18 holes. About 15 grade 10's trying out and around 4 grade 11's.

I know I'm going to get pretty nervous and choke, (like i did in my club championship) and I was thinking of doing something a little ab-normal. I was thinking of writing a big word that means alot to me as far as golf goes on the inside brim of my hat. So whenever I have a little bit of nervousness I will look there and it will totally calm me down.

I want one powerful word that will totally cool me off. It can be anything, but mostly golf related. It also does not have to be personal. I have no idea what I want yet. I plan to write it in a nice black sharpie and big enough so I can see it when I look up.

a) Do any of you have any good golf words that are soothing?
b) Have any of you ever done anything like this or something else that seems a little weird?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

i was in the same boat in high school, dent. just remember that everyone else around you is nervous too, your not the only one. you know your a good golfer, you know you can achieve the scores to make the team. nervousness is natural and unavoidable, just turn that nervousness into focus and will.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

ONE- one breath, one thought, one swing at a time. Stay in the now and forget about the big picture. Best of luck

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

i was in the same boat in high school, dent. just remember that everyone else around you is nervous too, your not the only one. you know your a good golfer, you know you can achieve the scores to make the team. nervousness is natural and unavoidable, just turn that nervousness into focus and will.

Thanks Forged,

you are definatly right, and although nervousness is unavoidable, it can be dampered down a little if i do this, and I always thought it would be kind of cool to write something.
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

X-forged has got it right.

You can't be thinking you are going to choke though. Come on! If you think it, it will happen. Always think about a positive. I like your mantra idea. I used to have a quote in my golf bag. Forget what it is now.

"Tempo" is always a good thing. I'm reading Byron Nelson's autobiography and he said that when he won the Masters for the first time, at breakfast there was a lady in the dinning hall playing a waltz on the piano. When he was on the course the rhythm of that waltz was in his head and helped his tempo. Maybe get some relaxing music on your iPod and listen to that while you warm up on the range.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

X-forged has got it right.

That is a good one as well. I was kind of thinking I could get something funny. too to give me a good chuckle. Maybe ill put "CHOKE" or "YOUR NERVOUS" on my hat.

In My Bag

I'd suggest "The Sandtrap", to remind you that we believe you're going to succeed, but that might be a bad image when you're going for the green

I like Ben's idea of "tempo." Alternately, "be at ease" - not one word, but probably writable in a hat and far more effective than "relax."

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shindig that is actually an awsome idea, writing "the sandtrap" but your right, Id have a bad image because this course is full of bunkers, id have to convice myself every shot it means the forum, not the stuff on the course.
In My Bag

I would add one more thing to the excellent comment by x-forged. One thing to always keep in mind: all you can ever do in life is your best. It sounds like a simple cliche, but I think it is a pretty powerful concept. If you've worked hard at golf (and you obviously have, given your handicap), have confidence in yourself, but also have confidence in life. Things happen for a reason, and we often don't realize the reason why until well after the fact. So get some good rest tonight and give it your best shot. If you smoke the rest of the field, that's great. If you don't, because of nerves, or poor play, or whatever, don't let it get you down. Keep your head up, and keep working at it. While this may sound "anti-competitive", I think once you grasp this simple concept, you will become the ultimate competitor. You will sleep well at night knowing that whatever comes your way the next day, you've done all that you can do on your end in preparation. This is all that life asks of you...

My word would be: "forged".

From dictionary.com:
1.to form by heating and hammering; beat into shape.
2.to form or make, esp. by concentrated effort: to forge a friendship through mutual trust.
1.to move ahead slowly; progress steadily: to forge through dense underbrush.
2.to move ahead with increased speed and effectiveness (usually fol. by ahead): to forge ahead and finish the work in a burst of energy.

Think of the work you've put in, and how you've formed something concrete that cannot be easily defeated. Also, forged irons are $$$$ lol ;)

Good luck

Rob

Dent, whatever you do, don't put "CHOKE" on there...all it will do is serve to remind you of what you are trying to avoid, thus keeping it in the front of your mind the whole round. I like the "Tempo" idea or maybe D.I.G. for "Damn, I'm good!" You've got this thing in the bag, bro. Just go out there and take it. -LBB

Bag: Bagboy NXO Revolver
Driver: Dymo STR8-FIT Tour 9.5
3w: Nike T405w: Nike T40Irons: Mizuno MP-33 3-PWSW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 56/10LW: Nike SV Tour Black Satin 60/06Ball: Nike TA2/SPN

You guys all have such wonderful Ideas, and now I have a handful to chose from.

I really have a feeling this one little word is going to help me a ton.
In My Bag

It’s been a long time since I played high school golf. The way we qualified was we played four 18-hole rounds and kept the best 3. Top 6 guys made varsity the next 6 JV, the rest were cut.
I advise you rent "Superbad” and watch it before heading to the course. Hard to take anything too serious after a movie like that.
Best of luck, we are pulling for you.

BTW, what do you mean by “about 15 grade 10's trying out and around 4 grade 11's”?

Driver: Ping K15 10°, Mitsubishi Diamana Blueboard 63g Stiff
Fairway 4-wood: TaylorMade RocketBallz Tour TP 17.5°, Matrix Ozik TP7HD S shaft

Hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 3H-4H, Aldila DVS Stiff
Irons: MIURA PP-9003, Dynamic Gold Superlite S300, Sand Wedge: Scratch 8620 56°
Putter: Nike Method Concept Belly 44"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B330-S

It’s been a long time since I played high school golf. The way we qualified was we played four 18-hole rounds and kept the best 3. Top 6 guys made varsity the next 6 JV, the rest were cut.

aha i have superbad, I've seen it around 10-15 times.

Our team consists of grade 10's and 11's. Dont know what you call the grades where you live, Im thinking 10 is Junior Varsity and 11 is Varsity. and thanks, im gonna need the luck.
In My Bag

Thanks Forged,

My sons swing coach always said to him before any big tourneys...."Basics."

I wish you luck!

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

I have my high school golf tryout tomorrow.

I recommend against writing in/on your hat. Besides ruining a hat it is likely to distract you every time you glance up, and instead of calming you down its likely to make you more nervous and self concerned.

Like another poster mentioned stick to the basics. Take your time and think your way through the round. Whenever you have a shot you have any doubt about ask yourself where the best area to end up (long, short, left, or right) is if you make a slight error. Also always pick a target. Many people when they get a little nervous rush the shot (to get it over with, and to stop the anxiety) and in the process they don't pick a target, or if they do it wasn't a very specific (or good) one. Good luck.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Just keep everything simple and normal, as you normally play. Try not to think about it too much before the game.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

A thing that I find helps, is to put something that makes you laugh every time you see it, I like to put a funny picture in my bag or something.

a) Do any of you have any good golf words that are soothing?

just put:

www.thesandtrap.com in there...... ;)
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Note: This thread is 5847 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!