IGNORED

First time on the range - topping the irons and slicing the woods

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Any advice? The title states my problem. I got my clubs today, and headed out to the range. I seem to be topping the ball with the irons. I think the majority of the problem there is dealing with picking my head up.

I dont, however, know what's cause the slice on the woods. Any advice?

Yeah man your probalby thinking your coming inside and leaving the face open when your probably having an outside to inside swing path. With your irons just keep your head down and maybe scoot a little closer to the ball. Good Luck!

Whats in my bag
Driver: 983K 8.5*
Fairway Wood: 906F2 15.0
Hybrid:585H 19*
Irons 690 CB and MB. CB 3-5 MB 6-PWWedges: Vokey Tour Chrome 54 58 Putter: Bettinardi C-04 Ball: Pro V1X

the best advice I can give is to resist looking to see where it goes right away, and keep your head looking down at your divot. It's not always easy, but it will keep you from pulling up and improve the ballstriking a lot.

With your slice... is it starting left then slicing towards the center or is it starting out straight and slicing right?

As for your Irons... stay down.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I had a problem with topping irons as well. I found a very simple solution that has improved my iron play 1000%.

When you start the club back, your first move should be to point your left shoulder toward the ground. Many people have a tendency to just rotate it which encourages your body to come up. It's very simple to practice the motion and it will force you to stay down through impact and will find that you will take a perfect divot.

In My Bag:

Driver: R7 460
5w: Bah!
3w: F Speed LDHybrid: CPR3 3iIrons: Acer XK High Trajectory 4-PWWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 52* 54* 60*Putter: Daytona CGBBall: One Platinum Tour ix

I had a problem with topping irons as well. I found a very simple solution that has improved my iron play 1000%.

I might go back tonight, weather permitting. I'll give this a shot.

Ok, so I'm topping the irons partially because I set the ball too far back.

When I slice the woods, it seems to go about 20 yards then head right (slice for me). There has been a lot of wind here lately, so it MIGHT be attributed to that. Not sure though.

Sounds like your club face is open more so than an over the top swing... (It could be both) I would first check your grip. Go to you tube and search for "A Game Golf Instruction HowTo Grip the Club like Tiger Woods" This will teach you the ins and outs of the proper grip and show you the different grips and how they affect your game.

As for having the ball to far back in your stance... I wouldnt buy into that to soon. I can hit all my irons from my back foot if need be. One other thing that could be a result of topping the ball. You are probably losing your posture and releasing your hands too early. Stay down and keep your hands on plane.

All of us have gone through swing changes and as a result we shank/hit fat/or hit thin. The main thing to do is just remember the basics.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

"Don't look at the ball. Look at a blade of grass right near the ball." Someone smarter than me said that, and it helps me to remember to not pick up my head to try to watch the ball. It has helped me to relax and become a little consistant with my irons.

10.5* Driver (don't really ever use it)
3w, 5w
23* hybrid
5i through PW, SW
60* Wedge.....................................................................mellojoe

A good technique to learn how to hit through the ball:

Line a second ball in front of your target ball (about 3 or 4 inches) and try to hit through both.

For some reason your brain processes it a little differently and you start hitting the first ball purely.

I dont disagree when people say look at a blade of grass behind the ball (because it works for some)... but others have said focus on a point in front of the ball so you are hitting through it instead of sweeping it.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

I think it is just human nature to look up to see where the ball goes. I think you just have to practice and tell yourself not to look up and focus on either the ball or something else to make sure the head doesn't come up. I have the same problem all the time.

In the Bag:

Driver: Superquad 10.5 w/ grafalloy Prolaunch Blue
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22*(4)
Irons: 200 series 3-pwWedge: Rac Satin 52*Wedge: X-18 SW (56*)Wedge: CG10 Black Pearl 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 1In the other bag:Blackout w/e2Jt Flex-7Reloader-BPMI Pure Energy 68/5000

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!