IGNORED

Thrash Talk: Annika Sorenstam

Thrash13
Note: This thread is 6768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There has been a lot of talk lately about the young guns coming to the LPGA, but I think everyone forgets just how good Annika still is. Here are a few questions to get you going, but be sure to read Thrash Talk in the morning.

1. Is Annika Still the Best in Women's Golf?

2. How Much Longer Will Annika be the Best?

3. Who Will Knock Annika off Her Throne?

Thanks and have some good discussion.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. Absolutely!
2. She's always been pretty consistent but these past 3-4 years have been great. I think she has another 2-3 in her
3. Paula Creamer - She's all about the LPGA and being a force to reckon with.

• Administrator

Without a doubt.

One more year. Natalie Gulbis, Paula Creamer, Cristie Kerr, Michelle Wie, and Morgan Pressel need one more year to beat her down. I predict 6 wins for Sorenstam next year and 5 for all of those players listed.

Paula Creamer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

No question about it, Annika is the best.

5 years. The young guns are good, but will be playing catch up for a while. Don't count out the fact that Annika is working her tail off to stay the best.

Paula Creamer. Wie and Gulbis haven't been proven winners yet but Creamer has a winner's attitude. She expects to contend and thats what it'll take.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator
This is something I've saved for quite awhile. Long enough that I forget where I got it from... but here it is:

So Tiger has completed the career grand slam twice over, plus a couple of extra Masters Tourneys for good measure.

He's the youngest to 10 majors. He has the longest cut streak in history. He's won the 'Tiger Slam', holding all 4 major titles at the same time. He's revamped his swing -- twice -- and continued to win. From 99 to 2002 he was as dominant as anyone was in the history of the game. This year, he is approaching his dominance of old. And look at the competition: Els, Mickelson, Goosen, Singh.

Annika's resume is nearly as impressive. She is always mentioned as being the greatest woman golfer ever. However, no one ever mentions the competition she faces. Why? Because she has none.

Look at the facts. 15 year olds finishing second in LPGA majors. 18 year olds winning events. No names winning majors.

C'mon. I know Annika is a very consistent player, but the fact is that a 14 year old Michelle Wie came closer to making the cut at the Sony than Annika did at the Colonial.

With every Michelle Wie performance and Tiger win, I just have to wonder if Annika is that good, or is her competition is just that bad.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

holly smoke - note the date! Erik said something nice about Michelle
This time however I'm on the other side of the fence - one should give the credit where it's deserved... It's one thing to "come close" (or closer) the other thing to win, win, win, then win again, then win some more - and some of the wins were "Tigeresque" - by 8 or 10 strokes. She's for real.

• Administrator
holly smoke - not the date! Erik said something nice about Michelle

No, it's a quote from somewhere, but I don't particularly remember where.

I know it was on a golf blog somewhere, but it seems someone else copied into GolfWRX forums: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums//lofiv...php/t3365.html

#1: Annika is on top of the money list and money talks!
#2: She is only 34 and has plenty of years left to grab all four majors in one season. That is her vision.
As far as question #3 I think Annika Sorenstam will let you know when she's ready to vacate her throne.

Sincerely,
Stacy Solomon

The depth of talent on the LPGA Tour is certainly less than on the PGA Tour, but I don't think that taints Annika's accomplishments one bit. Saying that Wie finished second in an event at age 15 is a bit like saying Tiger won the Masters in his first try as a pro. Doesn't really diminish the previous several decades of Masters champions, it simply signifies an amazing accomplishment by the youngster in each case. Anyone who has ever played competitively can appreciate how hard it is to win golf tournaments at any level, much less against the best players in the game. Annika's winning percentage over the last few years is simply amazing, especially for someone who once had a reputation as a bad putter and a poor closer.

Pound for pound, Tiger's a much better player than Annika. But by the same standards, Annika's much better than just about anybody else out there on any tour. Tiger is the only one to match her work ethic and determination. Vijay is close. It's a small club, and Annika belongs.

Plus, think of the transformation that Annika has made in the middle of her career. Through a year of hard work in the gym and on the practice range (and with the ball flight monitor), she went from averaging 230 off the tee to nearly 270. That was the year that Sports Illustrated (Alan Shipnuck, I believe) wrote that Annika was done as a factor, that her brand of "small ball" wouldn't play compared with the stronger games of Se Ri Pak and Karrie Webb. Oops.

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

• Administrator
Plus, think of the transformation that Annika has made in the middle of her career. Through a year of hard work in the gym and on the practice range (and with the ball flight monitor), she went from averaging 230 off the tee to nearly 270. That was the year that Sports Illustrated (Alan Shipnuck, I believe) wrote that Annika was done as a factor, that her brand of "small ball" wouldn't play compared with the stronger games of Se Ri Pak and Karrie Webb. Oops.

A bit non-sequitur, but I'd put Annika at the top of the "yards per easiness" chart. Her swing looks as though she's flipping the page of a book, yet BAM, the ball carries 260. Ernie Els may have an easy swing and the nickname, but I'd put her up against him any day as far as "easy swings that hit the ball a surprising distance."

A bit non-sequitur, but I'd put Annika at the top of the "yards per easiness" chart. Her swing looks as though she's flipping the page of a book, yet BAM, the ball carries 260. Ernie Els may have an easy swing and the nickname, but I'd put her up against him any day as far as "easy swings that hit the ball a surprising distance."

I agree on how much power she gets out of her swing. The big factor: She hits it flush EVERY TIME. I've watched dozens of tour players go through lengthy practice/equipment testing sessions. Annika and Monty were the only ones who essentially never made bad contact. Even ball-striking savants like Johnny Miller and Bruce Fleisher catch one a bit off every 20-30 swings. But Annika and Monty (back in 1998-2000, at least) hit it square on every swing. Monty doesn't always bring that precision to the course anymore, but Annika does. When she has a miscue, it is almost always because she pulled the wrong club or her alignment was off. When you can do that with the driver, you're going max out your distance.

The reason she was shorter before was that she wasn't as strong and flexible, and her driver was fitted to accentuate accuracy (she never used a driver until she got on tour; she used a 3-wood all through her amateur/college days). Once she got comfortable mentally with the driver and got stronger physically ... shazam. As an aside, Callaway's fitting system captures the "efficiency" of each ball strike (complicated formula to show how distance/accuracy you get out of your swing speed/launch angle). Annika and Monty were among the best. The absolute best? Jim Colbert. Strange but true.

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

The Best Woman's golfer is: Kathy Wentworth. 88 wins speaks for themelsves.

Annika might top that......... Then maker her the greatest women gofer of all time.
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

I agree on how much power she gets out of her swing. The big factor: She hits it flush EVERY TIME. I've watched dozens of tour players go through lengthy practice/equipment testing sessions. Annika and Monty were the only ones who essentially never made bad contact. Even ball-striking savants like Johnny Miller and Bruce Fleisher catch one a bit off every 20-30 swings. But Annika and Monty (back in 1998-2000, at least) hit it square on every swing. Monty doesn't always bring that precision to the course anymore, but Annika does. When she has a miscue, it is almost always because she pulled the wrong club or her alignment was off. When you can do that with the driver, you're going max out your distance.

The Best was Jim Colbert?!?!
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

Note: This thread is 6768 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!