IGNORED

Good drill for overactive hips (lifting right foot)?

Note: This thread is 5825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can anyone recommend a good drill for overactive hips on the downswing? I am generally able to hit a decent ball, but even when I hit what looks like a nice one, my right heel is generally well off the ground at impact.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Its supposed to be off the ground if you shifted your weight properly, isnt it?
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

This guy's heel is well off the ground at impact too

In the Ogio stand bag

909 D2 w/ VooDoo S
15.5* 906F4 w/ Aldila VS Proto 80S
3DX DC 3 HybridFP 4-GW56* and 60* Vokey SM wedgeSophia putter

My problem is similar, my hips go to early, (or is this what you meant) i would also like to hear of drills.

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

Can anyone recommend a good drill for overactive hips on the downswing? I am generally able to hit a decent ball, but even when I hit what looks like a nice one, my right heel is generally well off the ground at impact.

The best thing to work on is your posture and balance, but working on correct hip motion (rotational instead of leg driving or hip sliding) will also help.

Look at the four pros at impact in the picture below, and you'll notice they all have their back heel low near the ground at impact. Keeping the heel low helps to maintain balance, posture, and keep the swing on path.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7...timpactzi7.jpg
This guy's heel is well off the ground at impact too

Woods is an aweful example, and he shouldn't be a model for anyone that wants to hit accurate drives, he hardly hits 50% of the fairways on the PGA tour.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I put my pictures of my swing up for a better view and/or suggestions.

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12550

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Taking it of the ground at impact isn't necessarily bad, but like it has been said it make you lose balance, and my swing coach also told me that the lower it is the more power you gain, because you whole body is behind you clubhead at impact.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

As an acute sufferer of this problem I would say every poster so far has been way off the mark, are you not talking about your hips not spinning 'out' too quickly?

If I'm right then there is no good drill, the only things I could suggest are:
The feeling on your downswing that your hips do not turn at all.
Swinging slowly simply to ingrain the feeling of your hips not moving.
Buying a training aid called "the Leader Board" (which is what I use at the moment), this is the only aid I have found that helps this fault.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Having / working on the same problem here. The right foot comes up early, weight shifts to the toes, and your balance goes forward. The resulting counterbalance for your body is opening the hips early and the shoulders follow. Leads to all sorts of problems including the club cutting across the ball and making big slices / pulls.

Fix: Learn to play from the insides of your feet. Hogan and Nicklaus were masters of this. At the top of your backswing, weight and pressure should be on the inside of the right foot (left foot in your case - I am right handed and play golf right handed, so reverse). If you are going to drive with your hips (classical swing style, not modern rotational, which IS OK) then you need to make sure you drive ALONG the target line and don't spin out. Practice short swings with the feeling that in the downswing you push off your right instep (not the toes). You will have the feeling of pushing along the target line. Don't overdo it, but this is the foot action you are looking for. When you actually swing, the foot will rise NATURALLY. You balance must stay centered through the swing (looking from down the line), and using the insides of the feet are key. Nicklaus said it best "golf is a game played inside your feet".

Hope this helps. I am working on this right now and I can attest it works. An even more extreme drill (Shawn Clement came up with this one, check him out on youtube) is to wear an ice skate on the back foot (right in my case) and hit shots with that braced feeling. Teaches you never to go outside the back foot. Remember, the follow through is the result of good impact. So focus on what you do towards impact, and let the follow through occur naturally.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Looking at those photos above, I wouldn't use Tiger as the example either. Tiger's eye hand coordination and feel are so good that he can get away with stuff most of us would just fall apart under. Notice he keeps his shoulders along the line of the target, meaning his big hip rotation won't destroy the shot. This takes a lot of practice and coordination. Also, both of those pictures are slightly post impact, so naturally the foot is coming off the ground and the hips are considerably open (consider how fast this swing takes place).

I like the picture of Greg Norman the best. See how he rolls the right foot inwards. Keeps the hips from spinning out and the shoulders online with the target (hips lead shoulders, in case you were wondering).
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

I agree with the staying inside your feet, as mentioned before. When I hit it solid, I do this and finish in balance. I found swinging in control help alleviate a lot of the other problems, like sliding or turning the hips too quickly.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

I played last sunday and had a huge slice (Only with Driver), i played today and got it to a respectable fade but have another round tomorrow and need it to be more accurate.

I know what i am doing wrong, i need to delay my hips as they are going before my arms and causing the face to be left open.

Does anyone know any drills i can do on the range beforehand to make sure my arms start the downswing? any help greatly appreciated

INT Grom

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

--------------

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

----------------------

INT Grom

I know what i am doing wrong, i need to delay my hips as they are going before my arms and causing the face to be left open.

Your hips leading may not be the issue. The issue may be that your chest is leaving your arms behind, and that could be causing you to leave the club face open. A popular drill to keep the arms and chest moving in sync is to tuck an object under your armpit(s), and that will help them move at the same speed.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Your hips leading may not be the issue. The issue may be that your chest is leaving your arms behind, and that could be causing you to leave the club face open. A popular drill to keep the arms and chest moving in sync is to tuck an object under your armpit(s), and that will help them move at the same speed.

Thanks, will try this.

INT Grom

I have the exact same problem.
It is lifting the heel before impact.
I feel like I am pushing with my right foot before I get to the impact zone which makes my hips turn too quick.

My instructor has me:
1)Hitting balls with both feet together.
2) Flexibility exercises so you can turn your shoulders easily without help from the hips.
3) Slow down. I try to hit too hard, and like a baseball player, I push with my right footand turn my hips fast thinking that is going to give me power.
4) Try to hit balls with a wedge or a 7 iron, placing the ball in front of your left foot (if you are a righty). Hit them with easy swings without lifting your right foot. It will make you stretch and turn your shoulders without your hips helping.
These are the things that have helped me although I am still a work in progress!!

I'm gald I stumbled up on this thread, as I have been experiencing some similar issues. I feel like my hips are wide open way too early. This usually causes me to spin out early and really hit hard hooks. I need to keep my right foot grounded a little longer but it has proved to be difficult.

Note: This thread is 5825 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!