IGNORED

High School Golf Tournament.

Dent
Note: This thread is 5831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These threads have been started before, but Its not a "Tournament Preparation"
thread. I made the high school golf team and we are in our first tournament tomorrow.

All Our coach told us is that its a group of 4 players with 2 players on a team from each school. He didn't say what type of game it would be, would any of you be able to guess what it is and how it works?

Also, are there any special strategies I should use when playing with my partner?
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

A match.
Probably stroke play, individual.
Top 4 scores will be added together at the end to determine the winner.
That's how it is for us.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible.

Just relax. The format will take care of itself. Not to be rude to your partner, but you have to assume that he is going to play every hole badly. YOu have to take care of yourself and assume he will do the same.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

6 players play for each team, and the 4 lowest from each club get added up and the team with the lowest total score is the winner.

My advice would be to think of it like any other round you've played with your buddies, just relax and have a good time.

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 

3 Wood: Taylormade Rocketballz

Hybrid: Nike Sumo 18*

Irons: Titleist AP1 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG12 60* 56* & 52* 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5

on my high school team it was a stroke play match, with points awarded per-player. bogey=1 point, par=2 points, birdie=3 points etc. total points for all varsity players were combined, and the team with highest score won.

my advice to you is just have fun! if you have a bad hole, dont worry, you'll get 'em back on the next hole! probably the most nervous shot was the first tee shot for me. if i were you, i would hit the range before the match, and just envision your first tee shot. you the same club you are going to hit on the first tee and just keep hitting that same shot so you kinda get into a groove. this always helped me out

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

Thanks for the great advice guys. I think Stroke play sounds about right.

Also, Unfortunatly my playing partner has never played the course before and I have many times. Am i allowed to give him advice on how to play the hole or is that against the rules?
In My Bag

5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Thanks for the great advice guys. I think Stroke play sounds about right.

The one you're playing with, on your team, yes.

Your opponent, no.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

The one you're playing with, on your team, yes.

Haha of course I wont give the opponent advice. I tend to get soo nervous in tournaments and such that I do good. My nervousness takes away the bad thoughts, and I focus so much on making good shots that I do it.

In My Bag

remember the rules and shit. you probably can't ask advice if it's stroke play. like what they think of the line, and what club they hit. remember that. i've gotten that called on me in my matches.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

remember the rules and shit. you probably can't ask advice if it's stroke play. like what they think of the line, and what club they hit. remember that. i've gotten that called on me in my matches.

Correct. I'll probably get a rules booklet when I get there.

In My Bag

Congrats on making the team.

Discuss some stuff with your partner beforehand. Make sure he knows the rules, so you can both witness if you see an opponent breaking one and so that he doesn't accidentally break a rule, thus hurting your team. Discuss holes and strategies, especially if you know how he plays. Are there holes where he can be aggressive? Where he needs to play it safe? You can tell him in the context of talking about the course ("I play aggressive here if my tee shot does such and such...", "If I were short and accurate, I'd do such and such at this hole...", etc) rather than about him. Most importantly, enjoy.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats on making the team.

Great that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks shindig.

In My Bag

As others have said try not to get too stressed out about the round. If you're teeing off slightly after lunch eat at a comfortable pace (if outdoors in a shady spot), and make sure you have enough time to warm up in the way you normally do before a round. As for your partner you may find benefit from hanging out with him for a while before the match begins telling jokes, and getting comfortable with his company. The better you get along the less pressure you (and he) are likely to feel during play.

Good luck

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Keep your focus on the task at hand. Take it one shot at a time and don't get frustrated if you hit one bad. If you were able to hit every shot perfectly then golf wouldn't be fun. When walking with your playing partner, keep the conversation light and don't put any extra stress on yourselves. Try and play to the best of your abilities and don't try to do anything you KNOW you can't. Play YOUR game and try to keep your partner focused on playing HIS game.

Congratulations on making the team and I'm sure you will represent TST.com when you go out there!

*Side note - We all should get bag stickers that say TST.com and have the little logo on them. Now that's good promotion!
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Dent how did your fitting appointment end up going?

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

Just don't focus on how your opponents are doing. High School matches are real fun, and in the sates, we miss school to go to matches so that makes it even sweeter

Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5* with Prolaunch Blue S| Adams InSight XTD A3 15* FW | Adams IDEA a3 hybrid irons | Callaway 52* X-Tour Forged wedge | Titleist Bob Vokey SM56* | PING Day putter

Favorite Ball: Srixon Z Star X

Home Course: Majestic Pines GCage: 16

I have yet to hear of any high school golf that is anything but medal play. But it would be cool to play alternate shot with one of your teammates. Or better ball. Dang! that would be cool to think of it. Ryder style!

Note: This thread is 5831 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!