IGNORED

My Driver Swing (video included)

Note: This thread is 5818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys.
I seem to have an inconsistency issue with my driver this year. I just can't seem to hit fairways. I almost always lose it out to the right, and usually with a nasty 15 year duck into the right rough (or worse). My good drives start left and fade right...my bad ones start straight and end up 15-20 yards right of the centre line. Any ideas? (video of swing below)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHygsKYBpyY

thanks

In The Bag

Callaway X460 10 w/ Fujikara 65 Stiff
Adams Ovation 2 15 degrees
Cobra Baffler 23 degree Powerbilt Grand Slam II Irons Callaway Forged+ 54 wedge Rossa AGSI+ Daytona 1 NXT or NXT Tour

Load the video over at www.swingacademy.com for better analysis. Over there we can stop the swing in slow motion and use tools to show you swing plane, spine angle, etc.

I can tell that you are well below the swing plane and your spine angle needs a lot of work, but it's easier to explain over at swingacademy.com given the resources the site has.

3JACK

as much as if feels wierd, posture is very important.
when i play it feels like i'm sticking out my rear end but that helps me to keep my back straight and bend at the waist. almost like sitting on the edge of a tall chair.

http://www.v1golfacademy.com/

they have free software to check out. you can see your swing plane when you use their tools. its pretty cool.

In my bag:
Driver: R9 TP Rombax Stiff
3 Wood: R9 TP 85g Stiff
3 hybrid: X
4-SW: X-20 Uniflex

SteelLW: Forged Chrome

Putter: White Hot XG #1

bump
any comments would be greatly appreciated

In The Bag

Cobra Baffler 23 degree Powerbilt Grand Slam II Irons Callaway Forged+ 54 wedge Rossa AGSI+ Daytona 1 NXT or NXT Tour

A basic point regarding your swing: you aren't getting much of a shoulder turn. Because of this, your hips are not turning much at all. Ideally, you want your belt buckle pointing 45 degrees to the right at the top of your backswing. Your left shoulder should be directly under your chin.

Your left arm is pretty straight in your swing, which is good to see. Practice a full turn with your shoulders and you'll be generating much more power. Try this: take a broomstick (or your driver) and place it over your shoulders. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, facing a mirror. Keeping your feet stable, turn your shoulders until the broomstick is pointing at the mirror. You should be facing the mirror the entire time (i.e., all that moves is your upper body - mainly shoulders, thus pulling hips.) This is the type of turn you are looking for. Feel the tension in your hips? Holding this position, bend forward 30 degrees from the hips...here's your ideal position at the top of the backswing.

Hey guys.

The angle of the video isn't a good one for analysis, but that being said I put you up next to Ernie Els with a driver from a angle that is close to yours.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/2...svspeaknr0.jpg Your camera moves, so most of the lines become useless, but here is what I see: At address you setup with your hips low, your knees overly flexed, and your spine angle lacking tilt. In comparision you see Els with tall lower body posture. His hips are held high while pushed slightly back, and he has very little knee flex in comparison. Your address position leads to faulty positions we see you swing into. As you swing back to hip high we see your shoulders look to be level with one another and horizontal to the ground. In comparison we see Ernie Els look like the back shoulder is higher than the front shoulder at the same stage (Ernie is turning his shoulders level around his spine, which had more tilt toward the ball at address). At the left arm parallel back position your arms have followed you flat turning shoulders, and the club points far outside the ball. Meanwhile Els arms have swung with his body into a higher position that fits with his tilted spine. At the top of the swing your left arm arrives at a very flat (horizontal to the ground position) with the club deep behind you. Els at the top has his left arm parallel to the original shaft angle plane signifying he is on plane, and can return to the ball with very little effort and a lack of deviation. As you swing down your legs move toward the ball, and your hips pull under you making it so that you can niether maintain balance nor posture. Els keeps his posture and balance with his hips held back allowing his arms to swing down without restriction. In conclusion your address posture is the biggest problem in your swing. Setup with high hips, less knee flex, and more tilt toward the ball from your hip sockets. That will give you a better spine angle which will encourage you to maintain posture, balance, and a stronger swing path.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

thanks for the comments
especially that comparision, Avid.
Really appreciate it and really shows what i need to work on.

So I will be working on have straight legs, and a better posture. I'm also working on my swing plane being more upright.

In The Bag

Someone may have said this already but...

You're scooping the ball up. With a driver, you still have to hit somewhat down on it. I'm guessing you have a high trajectory?
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

You're scooping the ball up. With a driver, you still have to hit somewhat down on it. I'm guessing you have a high trajectory?

You never hit down on a driver. You always catch it on the upswing. with 10 degrees of loft, if you hit down on it that ball aint goin' nowhere.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

Ok, so you don't hit down.. I just didn't have the right word for it. You're not supposed to SCOOP up either, just hit it on your swing's way up.

Then again, I'm a 22 handicap. What do I know?
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

Note: This thread is 5818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!