IGNORED

What the FedEx Cup needs: One final event.

jasongst
Note: This thread is 5819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The FedEx Cup playoffs seem too drawn-out for my tastes. Regardless of how the points system works (do we even need the playoffs?), I think it would be far more interesting TV if there was a much more limited field in the final event. Viewers would actually be able to follow all the players on every hole, and I think there would be a lot more drama. It might look something like this:
  • Make it a short duration event with a limited field, either one or two days, and with maybe the top six FedEx point scorers.
  • 54 holes in total. Two men eliminated after the first 18, two more after 36. Then the final two play 18 holes for the win.
  • Players higher on the points list get a stroke advantage. 2nd and 3rd place get one stroke. 1st place gets two.
  • The final 18 could be either be a continuation of stroke play, or possibly match play.
  • Assuming a two-day event, the first day could be 36 holes with the cuts after each 18, and the second day could be the final 18. If it's a one-day event, just take 4 entrants and play 36 in one day.

Thoughts?

The FedEx Cup playoffs seem too drawn-out for my tastes. Regardless of how the points system works (do we even need the playoffs?), I think it would be far more interesting TV if there was a much more limited field in the final event. Viewers would actually be able to follow all the players on every hole, and I think there would be a lot more drama. It might look something like this:

Yes, we have to have a playoff. FedEx is putting all that money up.

I don't see it going to one event with a limited field. That's the Tour Championship's calling card. Please: let's not have pros giving strokes that aren't in side bets.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Yeah, stroke advantage is totally absurd. This is the PGA Tour buddy.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

So we're handicapping the PGA tour now? Gross and net?

However, I think something has to be done, or perhaps it's just me who doesn't care all that much about it. I just roll my eyes everytime the broadcast shows the FedEx Cup standings or worse when they start projecting their rankings in the middle of the final round. Again, maybe it's just me.

Not sure I have a solution that's all that useful but I'd like to see some sort of scoring format that heavily weights the actual playoff events. Meaning you have to, first of all play (can't skip playoff events!) and play well to continue to advance. Sure... give guys who finish higher up a little advantage but I don't like the fact that these guys can punch their ticket to the Tour Championship after the first playoff event or perhaps even before. If Tiger skipped the first 3 playoff events last year would he still have qualified for the Tour Championship? Maybe have the Match Play event decide the winner? Standings could rank the players and if you want more of a "regular season" advantage for those who finished higher give a first round bye to the top x amount of players (depending on how many you want to qualify in the first place). Oh well, just writing out loud

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

You want a playoff? Let's have a playoff!

Here's my idea. Three events. First one: the top 144 or whatever from the FexEx Cup point standings. If you miss the cut (or don't play) you're finished. Second event: everyone who made the cut the week before. Top 30 finishers move on to the Tour Championship. And the Tour Championship is 72 holes for all the marbles; whoever wins gets the $10 million. No points reset, just three weeks of do-or-die, play well or go home.

Of course it'll never happen, because the likelihood of two or three of the big names not making the Tour Championship would be too high, and the networks would get upset.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

Please: let's not have pros giving strokes that aren't in side bets.

OK, maybe that part won't go over so well

But they need some reward for being the points leader... maybe pick their starting time and playing partner? (Hah!) The main thing I would like to see is a more limited field (fewer than 10 people). Having 30 people in a final event is too mundane for me.

Hell, I actually enjoy The FedEx Cup Playoffs. That was some of the best golf of the year in 2007. I'd like to see the PGA Tour require the top golfers to play in all the playoff events, but that won't happen. Nonetheless, we still got to see great fields for all the events. And on top of that, we got to see Tiger and Phil both at the Tour Championship. That's saying something right there.

Things are fine the way they are, and I enjoy it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You want a playoff? Let's have a playoff!

YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER!

That's exactly why it's not gonna happen in my lifetime. It's really not the networks who would be upset. It would be the advertisers. Did you know that the PGA Championship stopped match play in 1958? That was the first year it was televised.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

And the Tour Championship is 72 holes for all the marbles; whoever wins gets the $10 million. No points reset, just three weeks of do-or-die, play well or go home.

That may be the case, but then again if there's no way to get the $10 million besides playing in the tournament, you bet your butt people will be showing. One problem now is this whole drawn-out multi-tournament playoff format. That's a huge commitment for a pro golfer. But one tournament for $10 million? They'd be stupid to miss it!

And if you had a tiny field of about 6 players, the purse wouldn't be spread nearly as thin.

Note: This thread is 5819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!