IGNORED

Courses in NYC area?

Note: This thread is 5803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm just wondering what courses in the NYC area are worth playing. I'm talking anything within a 1 - 1 1/2 hour drive from Brooklyn.

Basically looking for stuff that falls within the price range of $14-$40 without cart, decently maintained, challenging as heavenly possible within these ranges, public, and a good place for me to play with my father (usually shoots around 115 or higher) where we wont be heckled by people who think they are the next tiger woods.

More expensive is worth listing, but basically we're looking for inexpensive courses to play outside the NYC courses (dyker, silver lakes, south shore, la tourette, etc). But we don't want to sacrifice for a course thats very poorly kept. (i hate losing balls in the rough because of weeds and white flowers).

I'm relatively new to the game and looking for any courses worth mentioning in the area if anyone knows of any, trying to compile a list of courses to play with my old man =D

In the bag:

Burner 460 Ti Driver 10.5°, Stiff shaft
Burner Steel 3 wood, Stiff Shaft
Burner Steel 5 wood, Stiff Shaft Burner Rescue 3, Stiff Shaft Tour Burner Irons 4-PW Z TP 52° Wedge Z TP 56° Wedge White Hot 2-ball

the courses you mentioned are good options for you because they are close.

Try going out to Bethpage on long island or looking up some other LI courses. Westchester has a few options but that's kind of far from you. If you are in BK, stick to the island.

the courses you mentioned are good options for you because they are close.

Ive played those already and we're looking to travel to some. Westchester is only about an hour away at most and would love to check out courses near there. Whats worth playing up there? Long island? i'm trying to compile a nice list of courses to check out

In the bag:

Burner 460 Ti Driver 10.5°, Stiff shaft
Burner Steel 3 wood, Stiff Shaft
Burner Steel 5 wood, Stiff Shaft Burner Rescue 3, Stiff Shaft Tour Burner Irons 4-PW Z TP 52° Wedge Z TP 56° Wedge White Hot 2-ball

Ive played those already and we're looking to travel to some. Westchester is only about an hour away at most and would love to check out courses near there. Whats worth playing up there? Long island? i'm trying to compile a nice list of courses to check out

Try Forest Park and Douglaston in Queens, Pelham and Split Rock in Bronx, Maple Moor in Westchester, and Sunken Meadow in Long Island. These are all the courses that I've played in the area.

« Keith »

Freanor - see my posts in the NY course review thread: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12613

In short, Hudson Valley Munis: Rockland State Park, Saxon Woods, Maple Moor, Mohansic, Sprain Lake, Dunwoodie.

Hudson Valley Daily Fees Twilight Rate: Blue Hill, Patriot Hill, Hudson Hills, Garrison.

A bit of a longer drive:

Links at Union Vale (HV), Hominy Hill (NJ), Howell Park (NJ), Neshanic (NJ), Cherry Creek (LI), Swan Lake (LI).

My personal favorites are Union Vale, Hominy Hill and Neshanic (I'm willing to drive a little longer than most).

Don't take my word for it. Go to World of Golf and find the NYC course guide - it's $15-$20, and cheap looking. Golfsmith probably has it too. That has most of the basic info on most courses.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Don't forget Van Cortlandt in the Bronx! The oldest muni in the country should always be worth playing at least once (oh and they just installed new greens)

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

Lido is less than an hour from Brooklyn, on Long Beach, Long Island, and meets your description. Very reasonable rates for walkers. The course conditions are fine for a water course with that much play (don't expect private club rolling greens and perfectly maintained fairways, but for the location it is more than adequate). It is a legitimate layout, Robert Trent Jones. Rounds are usually pretty slow there all around, so I wouldn't expect you to get heckled as people playing there are expecting the waits. And I've seen plenty of golfers there who struggled to get the ball airborne all day.

www.lidogolf.com

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Nevets88 has given you some good suggestions. Patriot Hills is 30 miles North of the GW bridge on the Palisades Parkway (right off of exit 14) and is worth the drive. It is right next to Philip Rotella Golf Course . Together they make a good 36 hole day.

Note: This thread is 5803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!