IGNORED

Which major is more fun to watch on TV, the Masters or the US Open?

Oregon Golf Ho
Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Which major is the most fun to watch on TV?

• The Masters
    • The U.S. Open

There is no doubt that the way the USGA set up the course today really helped get the excitement going and made it much better viewing than the Masters has had over the last couple of years. Maybe they could take a leaf out of that book and put a 'hole location' on Sunday that the players can really be tempted by rather than needing a miracle for birdie all the time. I love Augusta and I would love to attend but I really want them to take it back to the day that had all the back nine charges on it and not the back nine defences...

Driver 9.5* 905T w/ Stiff V2 Shaft
3 Wood 15* 906F2 w/ Stiff V2 Shaft
Irons AP2 3-P w/ Project X 5.5
Wedges Vokey 200 series 52* and SM 58*
Putter Black series No. 1Ball TP Black

Well my favorite major has always been the US Open, so its obvious which i prefer, but the masters has always been great too, anyways my order of favorite majors; 1) U.S. Open 2) The Masters 3) British Open 4) PGA Championship...

CPGA Member
Eagles Nest Golf Club
Toronto Highlands Golf

US Open for me and here is the reason why: I like watching the pro's trying to get in trouble either from the exeptionaly tall rough grass or trying to get in the green in two from a fairway bunker and landing it short only to see their shot roll on the water or a no man's land ravine. Another thing is the green's at a the US Open courses are so fast turns them(Pro Golfers) to a mere mortal at times. I love it !
Tools of the Trade :

Driver 907 D2 9.5* Fujikura (stiff) or 905 R 9.5* Diamana white (stiff) or ERC Hot (japan) 10* Fujikura Speeder 586 Tour Spec (stiff)

Woods/Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19* & Reax SF65 (Graphite Stiff) X hot 3 woods 15* Fujikura (stiff) Irons: ZM Forged Irons 3-9 Steel (stiff) Wedges...

Of those two, the US Open. Bigger field, more grueling conditions, plus I liked the prime time finishes this year here on the east coast.

Of them all, the Open Championship, or as some call it, the British Open.

Regards,
Spyder

In the 07' R7 stand bag R7 425 9.5* Proforce 65 V2 (s) R7 Ti 3 wood ReAx (s) R7 draw rescue 19* ReAx (s) R7 TP irons 4-pw DG-S300 TP black RAC wedges: 52/8, 56/12, 60/6 F2 Hamilton HM4 or Scotty Cameron Red X2 cs Nike One platinum GolfLogix GPS8

I have more fun watching the Masters for a couple of reasons that have nothing to do with Jim Nantz.

I would have to agree with that. All though as I get older I have become somewhat familiar with watching some of the US Open courses now. I think the Masters being the first major of the year makes me a little more excitied to watch. Can't beat the premium placed on shot making the US Open requires though. But it is very close and I am leaning towards the Masters 60-40

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I voted for the Masters, if only for the back nine heroics I hope for year in and year out, the nostalgia, history, reap and reward shots, etc. I know the US Open has those as well, but the Masters just does it for me.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I prefer the Masters on mute

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Anybody else enjoy the open becuase of mickelson on the 13th hole. That absolutely cracked me up and don't get me wrong i love watching the man play.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

This year it was definitely the US Open; but I usually prefer the Masters because it is always played at the same, familiar course. I like to see how different players approach the course year to year. Also, it is easier to compare one generation of golfers to another on the same course.

So far it has been the US Open, but at the end of the year the British Open ('The Open') will have been the best to watch.

I agree with you, and no Im not a moron either. The Masters is ok to watch but i prefer the US Open as its always played on a different course and there is a better wider crop of talent playing due to less invitations given out to old timers- not that i dont enjoy seeing Gary Player shooting 85 round Augusta of course.

I would have to say the US Open because each year it is a different course and it is something new for the players.

The Masters is always at Augusta National. I would love to go to Augusta National, but the venue changing every year keeps the field for the US Open honest. And that is the same as the British open as well. Always changing.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

My favorite tournament is the Masters, and, actually, it's the only tournament I watch beginning to end. However, it's kinda funny, but I actually think the US Open is more fun to watch. I think it's the ability that tournament has to make these guys (especially Tiger) look human. It adds to the drama and certainly the competition as well.
In my Hoofer2 bag:

Driver: 905S 9.5° (Grafalloy Blue XS Shaft) or 975F 7.5° (Grafalloy Shaft)
Fairway Metal: 906F2 13° (UST Proforce V2 75 gram XS Shaft)
Irons: Apex Forged 2-PW (Dynamic Gold X100 Shafts)Wedges: Vokey 54° and 60° (Dynamic Gold Wedge Shafts)Putter: Newport Studio...

I voted for the US Open but I think my decision is somewhat swayed by the fact that it was so much better than the Masters this year. Who knows how I would have voted if this question was ask in 2005.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

I voted for the Masters although this years US Open will be unforgetable. the past few US opens haven't been fun though in my opinion. I like to see my favorite players break par at the majors.

I like the PGA too, it's always a fun one. Although it's not a major, I like the Players. I would rather watch the players than the British Open

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

the us open is really fun to watch becaues it is more dramatic, and since most of us on this website watch the masters every year it kind of gets annoying listening to the same jim nantz stories about history and tradition every single year. The masters could easily be mad better if they would show more golf and less history and tradition.

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I voted for the Masters although this years US Open will be unforgetable. the past few US opens haven't been fun though in my opinion. I like to see my favorite players break par at the majors.

Here is my order of enjoyment

British and US Open US Masters US PGA

U.S. Open!This year's U.S. Open was fun to watch!

In My Weekender Bag
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000 9.5
Irons: Big Bertha 96's 2-pw-sw
Wedge: Forged X-Tour 58*
Putter: White Hot Tour Putter #1Ball: e6+14 Years old

I voted for The Masters because it's the first major. I'm a Tiger fan, so when Tiger doesn't win at Augusta, the rest of the tournaments really aren't as important.

I usually use our badges on Thursday and Friday and then watch from home on Saturday and Sunday. I only go to the US Open when it's at Pinehurst, so I tend to watch it straight through along with the British.

What makes The Masters so great is that the course doesn't change. If you've ever been there, or ever watched it, you know Augusta. I think Augusta and Sawgrass are truly unique in that they get played the same every year, and it's really a test of consistancy and knowledge of the course. The US Open is fun to watch, and I enjoy seeing courses I wouldn't otherwise really ever hear of, but it doesn't hold a candle to the mystique of Augusta.

I threw my clubs into the lake so it's time to start over...

Driver: Great Big Bertha II 10°, Callaway System 60 Firm
Woods: Tour 2400 Plus 3
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H, Adila NV 85 SIrons: X20 4-GWPutter: Studio Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!