IGNORED

Balatas

Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Best Balata Ball ever made Bridgestone Rexstar 100, liquid center, grafite wound, balata cover = Crazy spin, I could suck those babies back 15 feet!  The Titleist 100's were as good but not as durable

The closest thing to a Balata in a modern ball is the new Wilson Staff FG Tour. At least that's what "they" say. I've been playing them for a couple of weeks now and they really are soft. Best feeling ball I've hit in a long time.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

Balata balls would cut (I remember see a 'smiley' on the ball if I bladed one), they spun twice as much as today's balls, and you could literally knock them out of round with a big drive. And crack the cover where the grooves on the driver's insert hit the ball.

Durability wasn't in their vocabulary.

Closest I've found today is the really soft ladies balls for when I'm hitting the persimmons.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally Posted by blackxpress

The closest thing to a Balata in a modern ball is the new Wilson Staff FG Tour. At least that's what "they" say. I've been playing them for a couple of weeks now and they really are soft. Best feeling ball I've hit in a long time.

Low compression, high spin, soft feel. They reminded me of balata too. I didn't care for balata "back in the day".

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

AHHHHH the good old days! Used to love the Maxfli DDH Balata ball. Also used to shred it like a birch tree! But there was nothing like hitting it pure, felt like butter, probably caus it was

• Upvote 1

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Note: This thread is 4655 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!