IGNORED

Custom Shafts?

DBake
Note: This thread is 6748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Have you tried custom shafts?

• Tried them, liked them, got them
    • Tired them and liked them but not worth the extra money
    • Tried them and don't think they are much of a improvement
    • Haven't tried them

I see in my of your bags that you'll have stock shafts in your woods. I am wondering why? Have you tried a custom shaft for you woods? What ones? Do you think custom shafts (UST ProForce, TT EI-70, etc.) are that much better to switch? What is your reason why?

i use to have a proforce in my driver just got a new driver with the titleist speeder shaft have yet to play a round with the club, wont beable to till next summer. Got the proforce in my 3wood, and love it.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Usually the first thing I do when I get a new club is have the shaft replaced. I know it may not need it but mentally I am more comfortable knowing that my equipment is all built to a certain profile and matching characteristics. I don't trust shaft labels for flex.

I do some club work myself but until I get more clubmaking equipment and get more proficient I send all my clubs to the same clubmaker.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I see in my of your bags that you'll have stock shafts in your woods. I am wondering why? Have you tried a custom shaft for you woods?

I, for one, have found it difficult to find and try enough similar shafts fitted to the same clubhead to make a valid comparison. This is especially true in retail stores. As a current member of GolfTec, I expect to try out more shafts next year because they have a pretty good demo selection.

Additionally, when I demoed four or five drivers and finally plunked down a few hundred for my TI 320, my first thought wasn't to discard a "perfectly good" brand new shaft for something just a little more sexy. And, of course, the longer I wait the more likely I am just to buy a brand new club anyway. Not the soundest thought process, but......
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

So many companies right now are using these new exotic shafts avaiable for their drivers, You would be insane not to spend the little bit more on the shaft because it's the engine of the club, and it's too often overlooked. I think more people would be better off if they took time to research their shafts and be custom fitted.

What's in the bag

Driver:Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Ft-3 Tour-Aldila Nvs
3-wood:Callway Big Bertha-Aldila nv shaft
Hybrid:Callway Heavenwood 2h and 3hIrons:Titleist 735 cm 4-pwWedges:Cleveland Cg10 54 and 60Putter:Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2Ball:Callaway Hx tour 56Bag:Ping J bag..Red...

So many companies right now are using these new exotic shafts avaiable for their drivers, You would be insane not to spend the little bit more on the shaft because it's the engine of the club, and it's too often overlooked. I think more people would be better off if they took time to research their shafts and be custom fitted.

What kinda of woods do you swing? What shaft are in them? How did you come about useing these shafts?

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• Administrator
I was custom fitted and it turns out that the best shaft for me is... the one I'd been using.

Custom shafts are just like regular shafts: they'll work for some people and not for others. The mass market shafts, the "non-custom" ones, are that way because they just happen to fit a wider variety of people.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

IMHO unless you're scratch (or below) you won't benefit a lot from customized shafts, unless the ones you're using are WAY OFF your specs. Once your swing is 95% on the sweet-spot, than you can start worryin' about getting extra yardage, less dispersion by getting proper shaft.
I'm using "S" shafts, but my 3W has an "X" marking and I don't see much difference, however when I tried once Fuji 869XX in my driver - I couldn't get it in the air more than 10 ft I think if you have good trajectory and decent distance - don't go crazy. Save the money for lessons !

Note: This thread is 6748 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!