IGNORED

What does "tour model" really mean?

Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For example, with Taylormade drivers, you see the TP, or Tour Model, and it costs a LOT more.

Whats different with these? And does every manufacturer have them?
TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

I don't really know for sure, but I think with the TP drivers for Taylor Made that face is closed about 1* more than the normal ones. IM NOT POSITIVE on that, just a guess.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

• Administrator
Whats different with these? And does every manufacturer have them?

TaylorMade is about the only company that does it. Titleist drivers are the same. Cleveland has "Tour" models (as does Callaway) but they cost the same.

Tour models usually have a square face or even an open face. They're tougher to hit (less forgiving). The TP models usually have better shafts or more movable weights standard. I can't play non-TP TaylorMade equipment. It all goes left. I need the square or slightly open face.
I don't really know for sure, but I think with the TP drivers for Taylor Made that face is closed about 1* more than the normal ones. IM NOT POSITIVE on that, just a guess.

That's not right and should serve as a good example of why it's not a good idea to guess.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

TaylorMade is about the only company that does it. Titleist drivers are the same. Cleveland has "Tour" models (as does Callaway) but they cost the same.

So what your saying is that non-TP model have a slightly closed face since the majority of average players are slicers?

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

• Administrator
So what your saying is that non-TP model have a slightly closed face since the majority of average players are slicers?

Yes, that's generally the case. They'll also usually have some heel-side weighting, too.

With TaylorMade non-TP models, you'll get lamer shafts and less weights (and no wrench, usually).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The tp version of the Burner is OPEN 2*.

"You only live twice, this might be your second time."

907D2 8.5degree, UST V2 Stiff
F50 3wood
19degree rescue 3-pw Burner TP 56degree zip wedge, low bounce c56 putterI have PROV1's for sale, contact me!

All "tour" model irons usually have less offset than their "novice" counter part. This is the case for Titleist Ap1 vs Ap2, Callaway x vs. x-tour, Taylor Made Burner XD vs. TP irons.

"You only live twice, this might be your second time."

907D2 8.5degree, UST V2 Stiff
F50 3wood
19degree rescue 3-pw Burner TP 56degree zip wedge, low bounce c56 putterI have PROV1's for sale, contact me!

• Administrator
All "tour" model irons usually have less offset than their "novice" counter part. This is the case for Titleist Ap1 vs Ap2, Callaway x vs. x-tour, Taylor Made Burner XD vs. TP irons.

That's not a very fair comparison. The AP2 and AP1 are both in play on Tour, the XD isn't the same model as the "TP" irons. There are r7 and r7 TP irons, and you can look up the spec differences on the website.

it pretty much sucks for anyone who doesnt slice/hits a draw.

i have to pay on average 50 bucks more just to get a club that i wont hook the crap out of. That displeases me. Am i happy i get half off? yea, otherwise i wouldnt take my business to taylormade.

And as iacas said, taylor made is really the only company that marks up their tour clubs. Its unfortunate because they are really great clubs..

Bakke.

Im on fire, and now i think im readyy! to bust a move, check it out im rockin steady!

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

it pretty much sucks for anyone who doesnt slice/hits a draw.

You could learn not to hit it left. I used to have the opposite problem - everything I hit went right (And I really liked Titleist drivers at the time) but I learned how to hit it straight. Now I use a TM so i can hit a nice draw (non-TP, closed face) but when I pick up a Titleist or a TP TM I can still hit it straight.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

• Administrator
You could learn not to hit it left. I used to have the opposite problem - everything I hit went right (And I really liked Titleist drivers at the time) but I learned how to hit it straight. Now I use a TM so i can hit a nice draw (non-TP, closed face) but when I pick up a Titleist or a TP TM I can still hit it straight.

That misses the point. Hitting it right is one thing, hitting it left because the club is doing it is another.

If 13 (or 12, anyway) clubs that you own don't have draw bias (weighting and a closed face), and you develop a swing that hits a nice little cut or whatever with those 12 clubs, a left-weighted, left-faced club throws a severe monkey wrench into the works. No clubs are really fade biased (even the Callaway Tour drivers that are fade biased are barely so), so "learning to not hit it right" is not the same as "this club makes me go left." George will have a review of the Cleveland HiBore XLS driver soon - same thing. He really should have gotten the "Tour" model. He has to guard against the lefts. And yet his friend who slices loves the thing and hits it nice and straight. His other 12 clubs still slice, though. Maybe he slices his putter, too, I dunno.

Due to an unforeseen accident with my HiBore driver, I just had the opportunity to upgrade, and went with the HiBore XL Tour. I was happy to see it was spec'd at a 3° open face. It always bugged me with the old driver, it didn't look right at address, and I would frequently pull it, but I never knew why, so I started messing with my swing. The Tour version lines up beautifully to my eye, but I'm having to undo some bad habits I developed with the other one. I always used to be able to play a nice cut up the left side and, it wasn't until I got the new club that I realized, although I was definitely hitting my drives farther with the HiBore, I was much less consistent in my flight path. I'm looking forward to getting back to my "old ways..."

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Note: This thread is 5789 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!