IGNORED

Philly area courses

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

reserved @ 1:03 pm, Sunday, 7/20, Rock Manor in Wilmington, DE. $50 apiece. Sent reservation info in a pm to SonicBlue and jwkde. Reserved for 4, so if anyone else wants to join in, let us know.

• 2 weeks later...
So... How'd the 'tournament' go? Scores, highlights, etc.?

For the various levels, I thought we all played well. Everyone had a mix of good shots (I know jwkde had a birdie on a par 3, stuck his tee shot to about 4 feet to an impossible pin!). I shot a 78 (36/42), that included a 4-putt 7 on the 14th (the green was simply illegal, I think a 3-putt was the best of the group). But, I finished with three putts on the last four holes, with a chip-in on 15, a long downhill snaker for a sand save on 16, and a birdie on the par 5 last.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

So... How'd the 'tournament' go? Scores, highlights, etc.?

Sorry for the delay in recapping...

As for the "tournament", well, handicaps are there for a reason, I guess. SonicBlue and the PGA apprentice ringer ( )that he brought set the pace, with jwkde following at a safe distance, and myself bringing up the rear. I felt like I had a worse than typical day, I suppose jwkde feels the same, and I think SonicBlue played pretty well. Regardless of the final scores, it was fun, and a good way to meet new playing partners. My wife was busting my stones about having a "play date" with some strangers I met over the internet, but everybody was gracious, friendly, and comfortable enough for some playful smack talk by the end of the round. But, I would say that the goal of the round was met: I was forced to play strictly by the rules, and had a bit of self-imposed pressure on me by playing with better golfers. I'm pretty sure one of the (many) reasons I played poorly was the anxiety I had (about really wanting to play well), and my eventual loss of focus throughout the round as I got progressively more frustrated. If I recall, MonkeyClaw, you're relatively new at this also, so I would recommend playing with some better players as you progress. Yeah, I think I struck a handful of balls better the rest of the group, but the day really illustrated how the difference between a HCP of 15 and 30 is largely consistency. Sonicblue shanked a few, but mostly hit good shots. I had some good shots, but almost as many duffs/shanks/horrible puts. Plus, I now have a new coach for the mental aspects of the game! (thanks again for the tips, sonicblue) As for highlight of the day???? Had to be sonicblue's chip in for birdie, closely followed by back-to-back "duck hooks -bounce- to cart path- bounce- to practice green" shots on hole 18 that scared a few folks warming up for their rounds, perfectly executed by jwkde and myself. Ugh. Next qualifier at Edgemont, right?

Hey, hey, hey.....shanked is a pretty strong word. I prefer "thin-pushed," thank you very much. And I feel obligated to correct...unfortunately, my chip-in was for par. That was the hole that my drive was behind that transformer box and I had to play way out to the right rough.

Had to run an errand after work, and realized that Edgmont is only about 20 minutes from my office, perfect for an after-work round one evening, if MonkeyClaw would be so kind to host (sorry, subtlety isn't my strong point!)?

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Others have posted the highs and lows from the round.

It was a fun day, a bit different arranging it in advance over the internet with the folks but worked out great.

Since none of us had played the course before we did not know some of the spots to play to or avoid.

Course was interesting to me. Since it was very hot the course was not crowded so the pace was good.

It was cart path only, which on a hot day for a golfer who does not always land his drive close to the cart path - makes for some extra walking.

The greens on some holes were oddly designed which made for some unique puts.

I would probably play the course again, but would not say "wow I can't wait to go there again".

FYI - the carts do have GPS.

In my Bag

4LM 12 Degree

AP1 5-G Rosa putter

But, I would say that the goal of the round was met: I was forced to play strictly by the rules, and had a bit of self-imposed pressure on me by playing with better golfers. I'm pretty sure one of the (many) reasons I played poorly was the anxiety I had (about really wanting to play well), and my eventual loss of focus throughout the round as I got progressively more frustrated.

Sounds like a good time! I'm definitely new still, but trying to work hard on my game so I can hang with the big boys. I can get used to teeing off last, although I'll bet the pressure to hit as well as the people who hit first won't help!

About playing with people who are better... I played with my wife had one of her old high school buddies. She hasn't played 18 in two years, used her mom's clubs, and hasn't played this course since she was 14. She scored a smooth 76! It was like watching an LPGA event, except paying attention on all 18 holes. Very humbling, but also great to see. We can head out to Edgmont any time you guys like. It's not the caliber of the higher-priced clubs in the area but I also haven't run into any attitudes on the course, which is really nice.
Had to run an errand after work, and realized that Edgmont is only about 20 minutes from my office, perfect for an after-work round one evening, if MonkeyClaw would be so kind to host (sorry, subtlety isn't my strong point!)?

Ok, ok, I can take a hint

My wife and I try to get in 18 on Friday mornings, but if you can get out of work a little early we can hold off until mid afternoon before we start. We can also schedule something for a weekend so everyone can join us. Are early afternoons still best for everyone?
Others have posted the highs and lows from the round.

Doesn't sound too bad at all. GPS on the carts is nice - no GPS at Edgmont. I think most of the people who play there are pretty familiar with the course already. I carry a GPS, too.

So maybe in a few weeks we can get together at Edgmont? Sometime in Mid-August would be best. I'm also open to going to other places too, of course.

Note: This thread is 5761 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!