IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No your rounds were in the 80's period. You can't say oh my putter let me down hence I really would have shot in the 70's. My handicapp has gone from 7.5-10.9 all playing with cavity backs after struglling with my cavity backs I switched to blades my handicap has drop from 10.9 to 10.2 in the first month using the blades. I find the 690 mb's to be the most solid feeling club I have hit. More distance higher ball flight and more accuracy. All the things that the club shops say you'll give up if you try them.

No I certainly agree with your statement... I actually hate it when guys say 'shoulda woulda coulda'... there is nothing more irritating. What I meant by what I said was really to illustrate the fact that my ball striking since owning cavity backs have been better and that my tee to green play during some of my rounds in the 80's were more like play in the 70's. My actual score was what it was... no excuses. My iron play was solid... my putting was not. Just my response to how much more cavity backs have helped my game.

What's In my bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R5 Dual 9.5* UST Proforce V2 77g S
3Wood: Mizuno F-60 13.5* Mizuno Exsar 75S
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 3/4 Aldila VS Proto 80SIrons: Adams Pro Forged (5-PW) True Temper Black Gold SWedges: Cleveland 588 (3) 50, 588 (DSG) 54 & 60Putter: Ping i-Series Craz-EBalls:.....

those of you that have a low handicap and like blades, consider the 67's.

HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

No I certainly agree with your statement... I actually hate it when guys say 'shoulda woulda coulda'... there is nothing more irritating. What I meant by what I said was really to illustrate the fact that my ball striking since owning cavity backs have been better and that my tee to green play during some of my rounds in the 80's were more like play in the 70's. My actual score was what it was... no excuses. My iron play was solid... my putting was not. Just my response to how much more cavity backs have helped my game.

Fair enough I see what your saying. As long as were on pet peives I think I'll start a thread on handicapps.................

those of you that have a low handicap and like blades, consider the 67's.

Just curious what do you consider a low handicapp?

I love the feel of perfectly hit shot with a blade but am simply not a good enough player to use them. I prefer blade wedges though rather than the cavity back PW and SW that come in a lot of lower end sets.

23Rounder

Tour Burner 9.5 / RE*AX 60g Stiff
Launcher 13 & 17 Fairway / Fujikura Gold Stiff
MT Pro-C 3-W / DG S300 MP 52.07 Vokey SM58.12 Tracy II, 34" Putter Z-URS or NXT Tour

"Such a pure feeling is a well struck golf shot"

And there is nothing better than ball striking with my Forged Blades.

I'll put it to you this way. I was blown away when Titleist changed the design in the '07 Titleist 695.MB's with the cut muscle thing. They do not make my model the 690.MB which i personally want to play until i die.

I went so far as to buy another almost new 690.MB set that was only played 3 times for my backup set to ensure I will always play this model and I can give this set of 690's I currently play to my baby boy way down the road. I have only had these for 3 1/2 years.

Now that is loving some irons..forged blade irons that is..

I grew up with them and so will my son..there is a reason why the best ball strikers always use blades...

Am I right in saying my Eye2+ are up there as one of the original cavity backs?

I'm a beginner, so I need the forgiveness of a cavity back. I've never really played blades though.
In my bag

Superstrong 12*
- Firepower Hyper Ti 15*
- Launcher 18* Hybrid - 21* Hybrid - S2 Max 5i - SW - MP T-Series 47* - 60* LW - White Hot XG #1

Just curious what do you consider a low handicapp?

10 and under... if you're going to get blades, it's for the intent to really be able to work the ball, not just to have pretty clubs.

I'm currently shopping for a backup set, more than likely will be mp-60's which are cavity forged.
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

Definately cavity backs for me thanks. 25 handicap not too likely to be able to hit blades well.

In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

10 and under... if you're going to get blades, it's for the intent to really be able to work the ball, not just to have pretty clubs.

I think they can also be good for a mid handicapper who is willing to put in the work to become a better ball striker. Forged clubs aid that.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Followed the leaders on River Hills at the Hooters event.

None were playing blades. Only the best ballstrikers play blades. And the best ballstrikers don't always score the best....or make the cut.

Only posters on the internet play blades.

What is the classification for a blade. How do you tell (by look) what is a blade. Are my 755's blades?
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Followed the leaders on River Hills at the Hooters event.

I also see a lot of combinations out there with cavity 3-6 and then blades 7-W. This gives you a reasonable combination to benefit from both. For the most part, I would choose a good players cavity back (heck, I am still playing the original 845s that Freddy and Davis debuted back in the early 90s).

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

This post is comical.

Originally Posted by Terrier View Post Followed the leaders on River Hills at the Hooters event. None were playing blades. Only the best ballstrikers play blades. And the best ballstrikers don't always score the best....or make the cut. Only posters on the internet play blades.

Well since the hooter tour players were not playing blades..I'm selling my set tomorrow, and hope everyone else does too. I also hope the golf manufacturers quit producing them too so Tiger and everyone has to stop hitting too. I especially admire the wisdom in the second part

Only the best ballstrikers play blades. And the best ballstrikers don't always score the best....or make the cut.

say what?!?

LOL!

From a couple of posts I disagree. I wouldnt go to the Mp 67 or 32 until your down to about a 3 or 2... I got the Mp 60's and they are the hybrid between Blade and Cavity back. I was in the same situation and I dont regret them one bit. These are the best irons I have ever hit. And Mizuno has the best fordging process period.

I'm a pretty good ball striker, I shoot par and above most of the time. I purchased my 67's a little while ago. I'ltl be honest i got caught up with the 67 hype and how great they feel, one of the best irons i've ever hit...blah..blah..blah. But am i 100% confident to take them to a tournament at this time, not really. I wont be able to compete again, until next year but when i do, i'm looking strong to get a cavity forged set.. mp60, 695cb or x-forged. When money is the line, everything else walks.

Note: This thread is 1413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!