IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went from hitting Ping G2's to Mizuno MP-67's, the difference was quite apparent. I will admit that I did go from one extreme to the other, and I can imagine newer GI style irons providing much more feedback than my G2's.

Yeah, I think they do. It seems a lot of them have devices built into them to produce a sound on contact and square hits get a very pronounced sound. And you can "feel" it, although not to the extreme of blades.

I know where about I hit the ball on feel and sound with my Taylor Made Burner 09's and I verify by looking at the head and seeing the ball mark. I'm sure blades have more degrees of feeling though as well. No doubt they are more precise.

You definitely make sense - although sometimes playing with clubs far too ahead of your ability can simply be off-putting and it really depends how much time you are going to put into practising.

I just bought a range of forgiving clubs, and I don't regret the purchase - they are better for me at this stage than say tour level drivers and irons would be.

I would recommend Ping i10s or i15s as a middle ground between cavity backs and blades...or even the Nike Victory Red Range which supply three types of advanced clubs.

Im still a beginner and I know Im not good enough to be using a blade, but something about them is just sexy to me! I want some blades really bad.

My question is really a 2 part question...

1. when do you know you are ready enough for blades? How much "harder" are they to hit than other irons?

2. curious, what is your favorite looking blades out there? I like the MP32s of the ones i have seen in person

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

1-I think you an play blades once you develop a very consistent swing that you can repeat most of the time with no fault. That should usually be in the 12 handicap and under range.

2-For me, the new MP68 beats all.
My achievements:
Eagles: 0
Birdies: 18
Best Round: 89

Golf can be both difficult and frustrating, why use clubs that will only make things harder! Many low cappers/accomplished golfers use cavity back irons.
Unless you hit the sweet spot the majority of the time, which not too many of us do,don't even think about it.....your game will suffer.

Driver:  the search continues
Fairway Wood:  Ping G25 3W Tour stiff
Hybrid:  Snake Eyes Q4U 19*, 23*
Irons:  Ping G25 5-UW w/CFS X-flex  (on order)
Wedges:  685BX black 56*      Putter:  Wilson Staff 8882 

those are sweet, when are they released?

Ill probably catch some heat for this opinon, but unless youre a player that works the ball constantly (much like a tour pro does) there is really no reason for 99% of ametuers to use a muscleback blade. The decison to use them is mostly ego, i think.

Blades arent really that much more or less forgiving than the irons you use now, but you will be punished much much more severely on a bad swing than with a cavity back. The margin for error is much smaller. You catch a blade on the toe and the ball might only go 50 feet.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

Once you feel you hit your shots in the middle of the clubface, all the time, you are ready.

Wilson FG 59 for me......

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

1-I think you an play blades once you develop a very consistent swing that you can repeat most of the time with no fault. That should usually be in the 12 handicap and under range.

I agree with the first part, but I have to stay true to my beloved MP-67's.

<- hits the MP-67's just fine and LOVES them.
Driver: ZL 10.5⁰
Fairway: Burner 15⁰/19⁰
Irons: MP-67
Wedges: 1018 52⁰/56⁰/60⁰
Putter: Byron Morgan 007xBall: Pro V1x

Ill probably catch some heat for this opinon, but unless youre a player that works the ball constantly (much like a tour pro does) there is really no reason for 99% of ametuers to use a muscleback blade. The decison to use them is mostly ego, i think.

You shouldn't catch heat for that. I think that you are 100% correct... At a 20+ handicap, blades should not even be in the OP's thoughts...

yet.

:cleveland:         Classic 10.5° w/ Miyazaki C.Kua Limited X-Stiff
:cleveland:         Launcher FL 3 Wood 17° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:cleveland:         Mashie 3H 20.5° w/ Miyazaki C. Kua Stiff
:mizuno:   MP-57 4 - PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300
:cleveland:         588 - 52° 56° 60°
:scotty_cameron:          Studio Newport 2
:srixon:              Z-Star Tour Yellow 

It seems like there is a thread like this at least once a week....
Here is a link to a couple of these threads merged together.

I advocate blades early on in golf, and I don't no about the "best" but I like the soft feel of my Cleveland CG1 black pearls.

well what do you guys think about a set like the Titleist Z Blend? It has a mix of cavity backs for the long irons and muscle backs for the short irons

I have to admit, having GI irons after playing older, more blade style irons for some time is weird. The clubs feel so big and clunky. Thick toplines and larger soles. I went into the store and hit some modern blades and loved the thinness of them. They just felt more controllable.

However, I am starting to get used to the larger and more clumsy GI iron. Although, they feel much less precise.

I'll probably sell them next year and get some Calaway Tour's or Mizuno's. I sort of prefer the Calaways as they seem a bit lighter than the Mizuno's and more workable. But I don't know!

2-For me, the new MP68 beats all.

What?? I must have missed those. Anyone have pics? I'll be sticking with my current set for a long time (unless I come into a bit of money), but I'm always up for drooling over the "latest and greatest."
Penta TP Ball || Nakashima Golf HTEC Tour Driver - w/ Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 83g || Izett Golf 15* Deep Face 3-Wood - w/ Royal Precision Rifle Steel || MD 18* Hybrid - w/ Aerotech SteelFiber 110g || MP-58 3, 4 Irons... MP-60 5, 6 Irons... MP-32 7-PW - w/ Dynamic Gold || MP-T 53-08...

I tried my friend's forged iron, and it felt so sweet and pure. But, most forged are very difficult and unforgiving to hit, is there a forgiving forged iron? or is there a cast iron that feels as sweet as forged?

I am a 14.4 hcpd and trying to improve my iron game.

What is in my Audi golf bag:
1. Ping I15 8 degree with Fubuki

2. Miura 15 degree with Fubuki

3. Titleist 18.5 degree with Tour AD

4. Ping G15 21 degree wood

5. Ping G15 23 degree Hybrid

6. Ping S56 P-5 iron with Project X 5.5

7. Miura Wedges with Project X5.5

8. Scotty Cameron Circa 62

9. Titleist Prov1 or Z-Star

There are forgiving forged irons, look at the Mizuno MP-57, Titleist AP2, Callaway X forged, and the Hogan Apex.

A true blade can be unforgiving, but there are numerous irons out there that are forged and forgiving. I play forged irons and have for many years, IMHO, I don't think there is a cast club available that will feel like a forged club.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Note: This thread is 1427 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!