IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I still can't get over the picture you have Eveleth. .......................Off topic, sorry.

I think the looks of the blades is what draws me into buying them everytime, not to mention my dad is a golf purist so I would get a little greif if I hit cavitys.

You should have seen his face when I came home with a 460cc driver!!!!

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

I opted for a little of each. I have this huge desire to hit blades but lack the game to pull it off. I opted for titleist 735's to try and get the best of both worlds. I went from TA5 cavities to the 735 combo set and my scrores stayed roughly the same. So it seems like a good option to me.

Pga tour professionals do not compromise the playability of their clubs just to make a buck. And since Ping and Callaway are the only companies I know of on the PGA tour that don't make a blade then why is this not a good comparison. Lots of players who play Titleist don't play a blade, Titleist does make a blade model, the players just choose not to play it. The same goes for every club manufacturer on tour except the two mentioned above. A winners check on tour, and tour winnings pay a lot more bills than equipment contracts do. Sure there are a few players that get big equipment money but most do not. And even the ones that do are not going to let their games faulter to play an iron not well suited for their games.

I have to respectfully disagree with you in the assertion that pros don't compromise playability to make a buck. In the mid 90's Payne Stewart signed a big contract with Top Flite to play their irons and their balls. He went through a big slump and blamed it on playing cavity back irons when he preferred blades. Now I'm not saying this is the rule. More the exception. But you cant say it doesn't ever happen. I can produce that article on Payne if you like.

Maybe Titleist blades aren't as good. I don't know. I've never hit them. I'm sure Ernie Els and Adam Scott would disagree though. Have you noticed the new x-tour models by Callaway? real thin top line. Almost looks like a blade. It won't be long before they make a muscle back for their tour players. Nike does and Tiger plays them.

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

• 1 month later...
I'm curious as to all your thoughts on this. At the beginning of last season I was a 15 handicap. I was playing Nike Slingshot (game improvement) irons. My irons were my weakest part of my game and it seemed even when I was hitting them solid my distances were VERY inconsistant. I demoed and bought some Nike Forged Blades. Everyone said I was not good enough for blades and that I'd hate them. Since buying these irons, my iron play has improved drasticly. Yes they are less forgiving, but the force me have a smooth consistant swing. Now my distances are always within 5 yards or so and my handicap has been dropping ever since.

What's everyone else's opinion on this?? Should mid handicappers give players irons a shot, or stick with the oversized game improvement irons?

BTW, There is no sweeter feeling than puring a long iron with a blade!!!

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I am in the process of doing exactly what you have done. For the past 10 years, my playing and practice time has really suffered, the typical marriage and kids conflicts. But with the passing of my birthday just last week, I have rededicated myself to playing golf.

I am pretty happy with whats in my bag mostly, knowing that practice will take 10 strokes off my handicap very fast. It is just my irons that just have an issue with. My current set are the old 1995 Big Bertha irons. They are so clunky looking that it is hard to not think that the next shot will be hit fat, when I am setting up to the ball.

I really like the feel on my forged wedges, so I wanted to go with forged irons. My brother inlaw, the one person I play with when I do get to play, rants up and down that I do not have the game to use forged clubs.

Well just to prove him wrong, I went ahead and ordered the X Forged irons, will be here tomorrow. Not too concerned with hitting the long irons, I carry 3 hybrids, so the longest iron in my bag will be a 6.

Going to the range on Saturday, and plan on playing the nine hole course there, will let you know how it turns out.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

I had been shopping for irons for the past few months. I did my research and decided that I wanted to go with the Titleist 775cb. It is a game improvement club by Titleist standards, but it is still forged and very consistent. One of the comments I read was that it is the perfect club for the 15 handicap that wants to be single figures in a hurry. Being a 17 I loved that idea. I also have some other Titleist clubs that I really like so it made sense.

I went to Golfsmith and the salesperson essentially tried to talk me out of them. Saying that as a 17 I would be better off with something more forgiving. He never asked me where I am dropping the most shots or anything else that might help determine what club was best for me. He reccomended the TaylorMade R7 and the Callaway X-20. I went to a place with an outdoor range and demo clubs in + 1" and hit them side by side. I happened to mention the 775 to the salesperson there and he thought they were a great idea for me to try. I hit all three and the 775 was the best of the bunch. I went back 2 weeks later and hit the 775 and the R7 again and it only made the descision easier. I went back to Golfsmith last night and ordered the 775's. I will have them in about 10 days. The sales person I dealt with last night thought they would be a great club for me. The difference between him and the first guy was that he really listened to what I was saying. I said that I am a 17 now, but have improved each year for some time. I don't intend on staying at 17. I want to be a 16, 15, 14....9, etc. Hell. I want to be a scratch someday. I wanted clubs that would help me get there. Not ones that would only help me get through the next couple years.

So all things considered, I think I found a club that bridges the gap between the two.
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I am in the process of doing exactly what you have done. For the past 10 years, my playing and practice time has really suffered, the typical marriage and kids conflicts. But with the passing of my birthday just last week, I have rededicated myself to playing golf.

Glad to hear I'm not the only mid handicapper to try the less forgiving clubs. You should at least try one of the long irons. Even with the blades, my 3 iron is my most consistant club off the tee. I can hit it low under the wind and work it both ways.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

Oh I do plan on reintroducing the long irons into my bag, but probably not until next season. It has just been so long of a break from golf for me, I need to just get out there and practice, to try to find my old swing.

Back before I was married, I had a friend who played hogan blades. When we would go to the range together, I would hit his clubs just for giggles. Back then, I was able to easily hit his low irons, but never got a set myself. Guess I was too young and stupid, allowing myself to be scared off from all the "You have to be scratch to play blades" hype.

What it comes down to, is that I want a set of clubs I can grow into, instead of growing out of them.

"I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine." -Bruce Lansky

I'm curious as to all your thoughts on this. At the beginning of last season I was a 15 handicap. I was playing Nike Slingshot (game improvement) irons. My irons were my weakest part of my game and it seemed even when I was hitting them solid my distances were VERY inconsistant. I demoed and bought some Nike Forged Blades. Everyone said I was not good enough for blades and that I'd hate them. Since buying these irons, my iron play has improved drasticly. Yes they are less forgiving, but the force me have a smooth consistant swing. Now my distances are always within 5 yards or so and my handicap has been dropping ever since.

This has been discussed on several threads on this forum. While choosing an iron is entirely up the the individual, I would never suggest anyone less than a scratch player use blades. Mind you this is my opinion and there are those out there that will disagree. On the other side if this I think there are forged cavity backs out there that are great clubs for the mid handicapper. IMHO I cannot see any benefit a mid handicapper would get from using a blade. The only reason to even buy blades would be to improve workability. Since mid handicappers have a difficult enough time just hitting straight golf shots I don't see how they would need to work the ball that much. Plus really and truly I can work the ball just fine with my cavity backs. I mean even on tour, cavity backs are abound. I do not know the actual ratio of blades to cavity backs on the tour but from what I have seen in the tournaments I watched, at least half the players had CB's in their bag. If the best players in the world don't need a blade iron then I sure as hell don't either.

I mean the whole "theres no better feeling than puring a shot with a blade", well all I can say is that shot doesn't roll any closer to the hole than the one I hit with my cavity back, but the next one that we both hit on the toe, well mine will be a heck of a lot closer than yours will be.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This has been discussed on several threads on this forum. While choosing an iron is entirely up the the individual, I would never suggest anyone less than a scratch player use blades. Mind you this is my opinion and there are those out there that will disagree. On the other side if this I think there are forged cavity backs out there that are great clubs for the mid handicapper. IMHO I cannot see any benefit a mid handicapper would get from using a blade. The only reason to even buy blades would be to improve workability. Since mid handicappers have a difficult enough time just hitting straight golf shots I don't see how they would need to work the ball that much. Plus really and truly I can work the ball just fine with my cavity backs. I mean even on tour, cavity backs are abound. I do not know the actual ratio of blades to cavity backs on the tour but from what I have seen in the tournaments I watched, at least half the players had CB's in their bag. If the best players in the world don't need a blade iron then I sure as hell don't either.

How do you like your procombos?? I looked at those before I bought the blades. Also, I think part of the reason I like the blades is because I grew up playing an old set of grandfather's. The were old wilson blades, so maybe it's just what I'm used to. I never really liked the cavity backs.

In The Bag

5 Wd SQ X stiff steel

While on this discussion of game improvement irons, I am considering buying a set of irons and at looking at these two irons sets -- Taylor Made R7 Draw and Cobra S9. Has anyone played with either of these irons? If so, would like some feedback.

I am a high handicap golfer, normally shooting in the high 90s. Swing speed with a #5 iron is between 68-72 mph. Swing tempo is made up of a slow takeaway and a faster downswing. I have a tendency to push the ball right when not hitting dead center. Llooking for a little more distance and more accuracy. Currently play with a set of Top Flite XlL 2000 irons with a regular flex shaft.

Any info would be most helpful since I know a new set of Taylor Made or Cobra irons will cost more than component irons.

Lew

Today at the cleveland demo day as I was waiting for my hibore 3w to be built I screwed around with the CG1 black pearls. I used a 6 iron, std, with the project x 6.5 shaft. Because of the shaft I was horribly inconsistant but I was hitting draws 200yds up hill. Granted right after I did that I slapped one 90 yds in front of me. That alone tells me that I am no where near the level of a blade iron. In the summer I plan on buying the MP-60's and really improving with them.

By the way, only 10% of THE PGA TOUR play blades . That came directly from Golf Digest. I can't remember what month but Im sure I can dig it up if you guys really want proof.

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

How do you like your procombos?? I looked at those before I bought the blades.

I like them a lot. They are the best of both worlds. Blades on the short irons cavity backs on the long.

By the way, only 10% of THE PGA TOUR play blades. That came directly from Golf Digest. I can't remember what month but Im sure I can dig it up if you guys really want proof.

WOW I would have wagered a guess that cavity backs were in the somewhat heavy majority, but never that bad. If that is true then I really don't need to be playing blades.(not that I was going to anyway.) I mean really could 90% of the best players in the world be wrong?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i have done something very similar. i started playing golf with my dad's hand me down lynx blades. i got really really good with them and then my dad talked me into getting cavity backs to help with those few errant shots but keep the good shots. i played for 5 years with cavity backs and never felt right. the only way i could tell a mishit was when walking to the ball and not having the distance i was expecting. my cavity backs hid any mishit. anyways, with cavity backs my handicap actually climbed higher. with the blades i consistantly shot in the mid to upper 80s. this past summer my handicap and scores moved into the upper 90s region.

i bought a new driver that summer, after i dented the face of my old one. the new driver i liked and eventually bought was a titleist 905T. all of a sudden my feel started coming back. then, my irons really started bugging me, since i would have good drives and good putting but i still couldn't start scoring. i started shopping around for some new irons with the disapprovement of my dad. to get him off my back, i tested both cavity backs, along with the muscle backs and blades. over testing and retesting, i settled in on the mizuno mp60s. the sales clerk, my dad, my dad's playing partners all told me that i couldn't play the mizunos. they reasoned that the forged heads and blade like set up would cause my game to shoot higher.

well, i bought the clubs and did have a rough couple of months while getting used to them. i played my dad last month for the first time since december, and beat him by 15 strokes. when leaving the course, he apologized for doubting my club selection and said that my game has never been better. he said he saw shots that i haven't hit in years that day.

needless to say, i am pleased with my selection. but like others have said, golf is a personal sport. what works with one person won't always work with another. i suggest no matter your handicap get the clubs that feel the best for you and keep you happy while on the course.

Titleist 905T Driver
Golden Bear 3/5 Wood
Mizuno MP-60 3-PW
Mizuno MP T 51* Black Ni GW
Cleveland 588 56* SWScotty Cameron Red X2 putterA&M Campus Course, Woodhollow (Longview, TX), Bryan Muni

WOW I would have wagered a guess that cavity backs were in the somewhat heavy majority, but never that bad. If that is true then I really don't need to be playing blades.(not that I was going to anyway.) I mean really could 90% of the best players in the world be wrong?

I was shocked as well but its the truth. Atm how do you like your MP-60's, can I get a review?

In the bag:
Great Big Birtha II Stiff 10 degrees
Hibore 15 degrees, V2 shaft stiff
X-forged 3-pw
Vokey Oil Can 256-10, 260-08 34in Tess ProV1

I've played Wilson and Tileist blades all my golfing life (about 35 years) and for the first time this year I'm going to switch to a "game improvement" iron.

I'm getting older (I'll be 47 in June) and I don't have the same swing speed or flexibility I did when I was younger. I'm also starting to have a little back and joint trouble, although I am hoping a new fitness regime fixes that.

I am building a new set of irons (in fact they are on the curing rack right now) and they'll be the first set of clubs that I've had that were truly matched to fit my size and swing characteristics. I'm really looking forward to these clubs as I hit the the test club I built really really well on the range.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

even though im 18. and apparently a lot younger than the majority of you here on the boards, im not too into the whole forged/blade concept.

i dont fully understand/comprehend the idea of working the ball nor do i want to because quite frankly im not playing for money. yea my golf game is important to me, and i want to be a good player. ideally shooting in the low 80's. but irons wont do that for you.

short game is what creates low scores i dont care what anyone says. irons only push that white ball down the course enough for you to start working your short game. so a game improvement iron vs. a blade vs. a forged iron is really just based on what status you want to exude and what impression you want to give. but i sure as hell hope with those bladed or forged irons you dont chunk the shit outta the fairway at pebble beach. that would be a shame.

i personally just bought the 06 callaway big berthas. pretty much the biggest freakin irons ive ever seen. but i tell u what, i can hit the hell outta em.

In the bag:
Driver -Callaway Big Bertha "C4"
Irons -Callaway Big Bertha 06
Putter -Odyssey White Steel
Ball -Top Flite D2 and Callaway Big Bertha

Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!