IGNORED

Pro V1 Question

Note:Β This thread is 5785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I keep hearing good things about the Top Flite Gamer. Need to pick up a dozen. Heard they were the poor man's pro v1.

Big Cart Bag:

R7 Quad 11.5*
200Steel 5wood 15*
Baffler Hybrid 18* R7 Draw Irons 3-AW Tour Action 56* / 60* Dual Force 990 Pro V1/x

The Top Flite Gamer is an excellent ball and, in my opinion, so it the D2 feel. I have also used the cheap Dunlop balls from Wal-Mart ($9 or so for 18 balls), and they spin surprisingly well. It doesn't hurt as bat to lose them either!

I bought 36 of those for $15 as my first few balls because I knew I would lose some.

I was then given about 100 used high end balls by a guy I know. I played with ONE top flite all day today and shot my best 9 ever. Coincidence? Maybe.

I played today with a Gamer and it is a great ball, but I shot my two best rounds with a Pro V1x. I have a whole dozen Gamers that I bought a while back and I don't want to just put them aside to buy Titlei$t$, but I really have confidence in the V1x and we all know how mental golf is.

I would say the Gamer is pretty close to Pro V1/V1x - about as close as TF can get it and still keep it cheap.

If you are playing rounds for a hcap I don't think you can go wrong with a top flight d2 feel. Damn good ball for the price.

ProV1x or Nike Black for bombers though, great distance with great drop and stop.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I actually "downgraded" to the NXT Tour a little while ago and though it's still not cheap or anything, I don't feel like I'm on the wrong end of the diminishing returns. The thing still stops easily, it's deeper than the V1 (though not the V1x), and it feels fine around the greens. When I'm a +2 I'll worry about it again.

For the beginning players it truly does not matter. I used the Pinnacle 24 packs for a long time and I don't think it had any negative impact on me at all. Here's a vote for going with the cheap balls until you know you strike the ball so well that you need the benefits of better balls. Make your life easy!

After all, who needs the pressure of a $5 ball and a water carry when your swing doesn't repeat (yet) and you know a third of the time you're dunking that thing?
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5ΒΊ | 909H 19ΒΊ | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52Γ’Β’04, 56Γ’Β’08, 60Γ’Β’04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

I personally don't get a huge benefit trying to play a prov1x. I can't compress the ball for sh** with my slow swing speed.
I've never really played a full round with a prov1. Maybe I'll try this week when I'm in vegas. but my best rounds have come from
TP Red & One Black (this year's...not previous ones)
but everyone keeps telling me to try a NXT Tour. I'll give that a shot too.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I "downgraded" as well from a Pro V1 to the NXT Tour. I love that ball and have had only positive results. I have been playing on super soft greens though because of the rain.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Honestly, I sometimes play ProV1 if I find one or someone gives me a sleeve, but they are just not worth the money. Yes they are good balls, but I've been playing Bridgestone e6+s and I get just as good feel with a little less spin, but to me I feel better playing them because of the price, and I try to get more performance out of them. Sometimes I use an NXT Tour also, but I think the e6+ is just as good.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5Β° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5Β°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20Β° IronwoodΒ 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51Β° MP-T Black Nickel ;Β 56Β° Vokey Spin MilledΒ 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic GripΒ 

Ball: Pro V1x

For the beginning players it truly does not matter. I used the Pinnacle 24 packs for a

Well said. I agree completely. $4-$5 a ball. I will stick to my noodles for now. Though I have 10 Pro V1s left just waiting to be played! Bah, who knows, I may just play better with em and shell out some dough for some more when I run out.

Big Cart Bag:

R7 Quad 11.5*
200Steel 5wood 15*
Baffler Hybrid 18* R7 Draw Irons 3-AW Tour Action 56* / 60* Dual Force 990 Pro V1/x

I was under the impression that they were "harder" as in a three piece design. Therefore, they fly when you barely touch em. I am confused. What does hard and soft balls mean then? I am a noob.

It's about how it feels, and it's all just personal preference. Mostly off the putter face, but also off the other clubs. Personally I find very few tangible differences when playing with an expensive ball and playing with a cheap ball. The most noticeable difference to me is the feel off the putter. And it's debatable which feels better. A soft putter face can have a similar effect to hitting a softer golf ball.

The real reason to hit a Pro V1 is for high spin. This will help keep the ball from rolling off the back of the green on approach shots, but you typically get more distance from the budget "distance" balls like the Top Flites. Frankly on the courses I play (and most people play) you usually don't need a high-spin ball. Golf ball companies will tell you a completely different story. They'll talk about launch angles, carry, and roll, but I think they are full of it. They sell golf balls; it's their job to think of new and exciting things their ball will do for you, regardless of how true it is. Most claims, even if true, are greatly exaggerated. That said, I play high-spin 3-piece balls. But I buy them used for $4 a dozen. That's what I would recommend for everyone.

Jason good points, for me at this time im playing the e6+ which is a really soft ball which I love the feel of, but does not spin a lot. In these current conditions though (wet greens, and not so bad winds) I don't need a high spinning ball. I was using a Nike one platinum the other day, hit it pin high, and it spun back off the front of the green. Personally I would rather attack the front of the green and roll it up a little to the pin.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5Β° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5Β°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20Β° IronwoodΒ 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51Β° MP-T Black Nickel ;Β 56Β° Vokey Spin MilledΒ 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic GripΒ 

Ball: Pro V1x

Must be nice to have a little rain. Here in TX, it is soooo dry.

I use the Pro V1 (not V1x) to get as much spin a possible. I already have a very spinny ball flight, but with rock hard, lightning fast greens, I need as much spin as I can get. A perfect example of a distance ball vs. a spin ball can be taken from my practice round a few days ago. I hit a full 6-iron from about 185 (slightly down wind) with a noodle. It about pin high and released a good 15 feet past the pin. I hit a Pro V1 next (same contact) and it hit pin high and stopped within 4 feet of it's pitch mark. You may not see any differences off the tee, but on approach shots and chips shots, the spinnier balls can really make a difference.

I would like to see some take a pinnacle and 1 hop it to the hole from about 15-20 yards. It can be done all day with a pro v.....
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

I would like to see some take a pinnacle and 1 hop it to the hole from about 15-20 yards. It can be done all day with a pro v.....

That's a sure difference between a V1/iTour/B330s/etc. and something cheaper, and of course you're right, but until that's a shot you actually hit you won't miss the spin. I actually do think you can get almost the same check out of the NXT Tours though.

Still, I'm on the California coast and you're in Texas. Maybe I'd appreciate the V1s more if holding a green was actually impossible. ;)
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5ΒΊ | 909H 19ΒΊ | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52Γ’Β’04, 56Γ’Β’08, 60Γ’Β’04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

I have said it before and I will say it again....

The ball is one of the few constants in the game, no matter what ball you play, your game will adjust to it. If you are used to your ball not having any spin and it running out all the time then your game will take that into account. If you are used to the spin and know that there will be less runout then you should take that into account as well.

The reasons I would discourage high handicappers from using a Pro-V or similar ball is that it costs alot of money and generally higher handicap players tend to lose more balls.

The extra spin works for and against you. Sure it's great when you can fly the ball to the hole and have it stop but that extra spin really hurts you on longer shots if you don't hit it well and get though to the core of the golfball. That extra spin will compund your slice/hook if you don't hit the ball well enough to transfer the energy to the core of the golf ball.

When you are playing a $3-4 a ball and not seeing the difference, I would stick to the noodle ball or you might even consider buying another ball thats available which is the MC lady ball that you can buy for under 10$ a box which would be about 80 cents a ball.

I have played with the MC lady and found them to be quite good.

Just my 80 cents worth of advise.

I am sure that with the recent technlogy there are balls that are comparable with the Prov1s that cost 10$ less, or about 40$ a box.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21Β degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both Β 33"

ProV-1

it takes a few holes to really get used to the way the ball plays I think.
I'm in the state of changing balls. I religiously used Nike One balls since I started..even though I was a high handicapper...which made it stupid since I used to lose a lot of balls. it was just wasting my $ and not really improving my game.. but i'd just say

use what fits for you. if you're comfortable with a noodle, then stick with it. don't go out and start playing a premium ball just b/c it's just that.
i'd study a bunch of balls to get the characteristics of what you want. ball flight, spin, etc. instead of a pro-v, try the DT's or the NXT's. they're pretty damn good too. I'm all over the place with my balls this year... in my bag I have a sleeve of Nike One Plat. Nike One Black. Taylormade TP Red, Pro V1 & NXT. I use a different one on each hole just to see if I like the way it plays. Everyone's mentioned great things about the Bridgestone E6. So that's the next sleeve I'll buy to see if it fits... but it's your game..your ball.

if you're short on distance, then maybe a prov isn't for you. you have to really compress the ball to get max bennies out of using a premium ball.
I'm not discouraging you from using them... but the sleeve of prov's that are nin my bag now are the 1st ones i've ever bought.... so i don't even know if they'll be good for me.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

Note:Β This thread is 5785 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!