IGNORED

Course Attire

Doctorfro
Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Honestly - I wish the OP made his statement a bit more specific. He didn't specify what type of course he plays on regularly in which this 'fashion faux pas' bothers him. Its obvious to anyone here that everyone on this forum plays different types of courses with varying levels of anal-retentiveness. I'm just surprised this thread went on for 10+ pages!

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LaMay, that is fine that you disrespect a course and do not follow their codes as a guest. I am sure the members appreciate it.

You called me a liar, told me to quit making things up. I've seen, more than once, people wearing cargo shorts told to go buy a new pair of paints or shorts in the pro shop. I found you the links of one of their sites. I am not "finding out" what the dress codes are, I already know them.

If somebody doesn't want to follow the proper code of conduct on the course, including dress, then I am sure they would rather have you leave as well, so your threat to leave is not hurting them at all. They don't need to compromise their standards to collect your greensfee, I'm sure they would be happy to see you tee it up at the local muni instead of at their course.

Again, stop calling people liars when you obviously don't get out enough to know the truth. I am sure there are some clubs out there that are willing to relax their standards, but there are plenty of them that will send you right into the pro shop the moment you show up wearing cargo shorts. I am not making that up, you obviously haven't played many non-municipals to have learned that lesson.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

I like to turn up to the driving range with my Duval shades on, my Nike Swoosh tour bag, my skin tight Nike performance vest and my sumo2 square driver and then proceed to hit 50 balls 285+ plus on automatic cyborg like.

After ive just thumped 50 over the horizon, the spectators gaze at my physical prowess and my driver- they don't care what Im wearing.

Count me in as one of the cargo shirts and untucked polo style shirt guys. I wore khaki pants once to play when I went out of town to a nicer course. I was very hot and uncomfortable the whole time. In the shorts I'm much more comfortable and never get any dirty looks. Matter of fact I notice that most people I see on the course are in cargo shorts.

What I'm hitting:

XL 5000 set: includes driver, 3 & 5 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid, 6-PW, and sandwedge

For LeMay, a few other courses that would send you into the pro shop if you showed up with cargos:

All of my golfing shorts take a belt, cargo or otherwise, so you missed on that one.

And yet teeing off looking like a circus clown (in Ian Poulter/Camilo Villegas style bad taste) is acceptable??? I simply choose not to play at a place with what I consider a questionable double standard. My so-called cargo shorts in muted gray blue and sea green are far more presentable than the garish looks that you see on some pros. They were acceptable in midsummer at a number of nice restaurants in Milan, Venice, and Florence, Italy when I was there 2 years ago, which I what I originally bought them for. Golf attire seems to run in cycles, and at times on course fashion is something that I wouldn't wear unless I was being paid big money to do so. Look at some shots of Jack Nicklaus in his prime with the gaudy plaid slacks. I call that more appropriate in the center ring at the Barnum And Bailey.... and now it seems that the game is trying to return to those peculiar days. I go out to the course wearing what I would wear on the street and if that isn't good enough, then I'll just play elsewhere. I have the option of more 50 good golf courses in the Colorado front range area (and many more in the mountains, including such low class places as Aspen, Vail, and Breckenridge) that welcome my business and my appropriate appearance. BTW, I also have several pairs of nice microfiber slacks that I wear in the spring and fall when it's cool enough for them to be comfortable. I don't dress like a slob, but I do dress to be comfortable.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Honestly - I wish the OP made his statement a bit more specific. He didn't specify what type of course he plays on regularly in which this 'fashion faux pas' bothers him. Its obvious to anyone here that everyone on this forum plays different types of courses with varying levels of anal-retentiveness. I'm just surprised this thread went on for 10+ pages!

I'm not. It's not the first time this debate has popped up and the last one got a bit heated as well. Simple solution is to do your homework beforehand and see if a dress code is in effect. I'm in preliminary stages of planning some golf on a vacation in a few weeks. One of the courses I plan to play says collared shirts. If I want to play it and don't want to be turned away or pointed towards the pro shop for clothes than I should show up in appropriate attire deemed by the course. Other option is to play elsewhere.

Funny thing is of all the attire deemed appropriate I have never understood white golf shoes and never will wear a pair.

People keep saying:
"I'm going to wear what is comfortable...." and
"I shouldn't have to spend a fortune on my golf gear..."

Why are cargo shorts more comfortable than normal shorts that are acceptable at 99% of golf courses? And how cheap are these cargo shorts?

PGA Tour Clothing is real cheap, you can get shorts for under $30, and they are thin material for hot days and are very comfortable. It is not about spending money.
PGA Shorts, $27
Another style PGA Shorts for $27

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

It's the material they are made from. Plus cargo's tend to be fuller cut with room for all the stuff I don't want banging around my bag.

I have to ask then - if cargos are nothing but a PGA short with a pocket - what makes them do damned evil to you? Does the pocket bother you?

Andrew

if cargos are nothing but a PGA short with a pocket - what makes them do damned evil to you? Does the pocket bother you?

If a T-Shirt is nothing but a collared shirt without a collar, why are they not allowed on the course?

If Jeans are nothing more than slacks made out of denim, why are they not allowed on the course? They aren't evil to me, but they are not proper golf attire. If you want to be the rebel, "i do what i want!!", and go against the trend, fine. But they are not allowed on many courses, and despite LaMay's disagreement (showing that he needs to get out more), most respectable private clubs will send you into the pro shop to put on proper attire. Why? People spend big money to be members of a Country Club. They want the other members and guests to act respectful and present themselves in a respectful manner while at the course. Cargo shorts are sloppy, they look more appropriate for the skateboard park than the Country Club. As a result, most courses do not allow them. And when you are a guest at a course, you should respect the wishes of the members who are paying big money to keep the course in great condition. I don't have a problem with cargo shorts if we're going out on a boat or mountain biking or whatever. But if a club has a rule, as most private clubs do, that you should not wear something that they deem to be a sloppy look (and they have a reasonable basis for this opinion), then you should respect that rule. And like I said earlier, I don't care what you wear on a municipal course. I was just pissed at LaMay accusing me of "making stuff up" when he obviously has not played too many rounds outside of the local municipal courses.

What's in the bag

It's the material they are made from. Plus cargo's tend to be fuller cut with room for all the stuff I don't want banging around my bag.

That is my question too. What is the big deal about a couple of extra (and quite useful) pockets????

It's a silly distinction.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And to further the point:

Why aren't employees in the pro shop allowed to wear shorts? Why must they wear pants?

Why do the pro and assistant pros wear jacket and ties during a member/guest or big member tournament?

Why do many clubs require jackets in the dining room?

Why don't clubs allow hats inside the grill/bar area?

Why can't you use your cell phone on the grounds except for designated cell phone areas?

Why do you have to put on your golf spikes in the locker room instead of the parking lot?

Why do you have to tip some guy for running a wet towel over your clubs after the round when you didn't ask him to do so?

I'm not some uptight snob. If I'm at the local municipal and my shirt comes untucked, so what? If my hat is bothering me, I'll throw it on backwards. My group will bring an ipod and speakers out to the course if we're at some greens fee course with a relaxed attitude. I drink beers out on the course, I have fun out there.

But there is a time and place for such stuff. And my point was that most (or many) private clubs is not the place for backwards hats, ipods on the course, untucked shirts or cargo shorts.

Respect the people who put a lot into the atmosphere of the club. You are either a guest, and should respect your host. Or you are a member, and should respect your fellow members. You do not own the course, you are simply allowed to use it, you should follow the rules that the board feels are appropriate.

What's in the bag

But they are not allowed on many courses, and despite LaMay's disagreement (showing that he needs to get out more), most respectable private clubs will send you into the pro shop to put on proper attire.

They are allowed on far more courses than not.

As a result, most courses do not allow them.

That's complete BS and you know it. Show me the count of courses that do versus that don't. Maybe you don't know the definition of "most"?

And when you are a guest at a course, you should respect the wishes of the members who are paying big money to keep the course in great condition.

This I can agree but I don't agree cargos aren't proper attire for the golf course - the aren't allowed for

that course maybe; but the merits of that are open to debate.
But if a club has a rule, as most private clubs do, that you should not wear something that they deem to be a sloppy look (and they have a reasonable basis for this opinion), then you should respect that rule.

I have played exactly 2 munis in my life. All the rest have been places of "high repute" and have NEVER been asked to change.

There is a difference between a rule and what actually is proper. I find guys coming off the course in sweat stained polos with sweat stained khaki pants after a round much more offensive than cargos and a shirt - where the player is allowed to breath. You know no smell etc.... If you want to continue to think that you golf "real places" because they have this dress code - go ahead but please don't fool yourself into thinking you are some sort of well heeled gentleman because of it.

Andrew

Teal, are you playing greens fees courses (not munis, but open to the public)? or are you playing private courses (invite only, must play with a member)?

greens fees courses will bend their standards, they want your money.

most private courses don't care about your hundred or two hundred dollars, they care about their members and maintaining a respectful image. and most private courses (maybe not in Green Bay, home of the cheese heads), have dress codes, and most dress codes include Cargo shorts as a no (just like short shorts and jeans are not allowed).

Maybe you guys honestly don't think that cargo shorts look sloppier than more traditional shorts. So what? You aren't the 60 yr old guy who's poured 6 figures into his course the past 40 years who is on the board of conduct at the course whose opinion matters on this issue. Many people do think that cargo shorts look sloppy, like a backwards hat or a pair of jeans, thus they have this rule.

I don't view this as me thinking I am more of a gentleman than you. I view this as me respecting the wishes of fellow members or hosts.

What's in the bag

Showing that I need to get out more??????

Im trying to stay on topic here but you have no idea what you are talking about. I played in Gateway Junior PGA, MGA, and AJGA Tournaments from the ages of 13-18. I played varsity High School golf at a college prepatory private high school. While I have never been a private member ata club I have played at almsot every private club in St. Louis. Dress code to high school was khakis or dress slacks, collared shirt (tucked in), belt and dress shoes. We were not expected to play in those wardrobes. Cargos and khaki shorts were allowed and no EVER had to buy new clothes or was refused play. Same goes with the Gateway Junior PGA events.

I am going to Wisconsin to play Whistling Straits July 10-12, home to the 2004, 2010 and 2015 PGA Championship. Here are their rules:

Rules of Play
Appropriate golf attire shall be worn at all times on the golf course and practice area. Appropriate golf attire includes a collared shirt and no jeans

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Teal, are you playing greens fees courses (not munis, but open to the public)? or are you playing private courses (invite only, must play with a member)?

Both.

most private courses don't care about your hundred or two hundred dollars, they care about their members and maintaining a respectful image. and most private courses (maybe not in Green Bay, home of the cheese heads), have dress codes, and most dress codes include Cargo shorts as a no (just like short shorts and jeans are not allowed).

Nice - you don't we insult my mother while we are at it? What is this the 3rd grade? I like in NYC so I am better than you in the fly over states... nya nya nya.

And to the "gentleman in slacks and polo shirt" that neg repped me - I couldn't care less but at the least have the golf balls to leave your name. Flipping cowards.

Andrew

Surley you would rather have these things banging around in your bag than in your pockets while you swing your golf club.

No hard forged metal things in my pocket or on my body as I swing. Can't say the same for the bag.

Andrew

THis is gettign very very repetitive.

Just ban everything and let us all play in tuxedo!!! THat would look aswesome!!!

(Although, I'm still IN for the G-String LPGA)

Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!