IGNORED

Golfing Solo

-Mini-
Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I really wish I could play that often. How do you guys afford to play that much?

I do feel a little sheepish telling people I play that much

First, golf in central Kentucky isn't very expensive. I belong to a very nice club and only pay $1400/yr for a weekday membership - that covers 2 courses! So I don't pay a dime to play golf unless I go somewhere else. Second, I go very early in the morning. Its nice being one of the first people out in the morning - I can usually play 18 in about 3 hours. That makes up for the wet course and playing around the mowers It also helps not to break up my work day. I'm an independent consultant so I get to choose when I work to some extent. Of course the phone is always on. Another reason to play early - there's nobody to be bothered if my phone rings. -k

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I would have done the same thing and paid the 1250, but it's not a nice course. Maybe I need to move closer to a good one :)

TM R7 SuperQuad - 9.5* Stiff || TM V-Steel 15/18* Stiff || Mizuno MP-52 3-PW PX5.5 || Titleist Vokey OC 52/58* || Odyssey White Hot #1

Playing as a single is a great way to practice, try new things, and really work on your game. I just joined a local golf club, where it is $1,875 for the entire season and you can go out anytime, including weekends. A normal round costs around $45 I think, so to break-even on it I have to go about 1.5 times a week. I just joined mid-season and am planning on going 2-3 a week to work on it and practice, mostly being solo I think.

In my bag:

Burner 460 9.5* Stiff
1, 2, 3 Hibore Hybird (Regular Steel)
Big Bertha 4-PW Regular TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Shafts 54* and 60* CG12 Wedges Piper Putter Tour i Balls Stand BagMy Home Course: Oak Brook Golf ClubMy Stats for This Season

I've gone out alone a couple times this summer while my buddies are slaving away at work. There's not a better feeling in the world than teeing off at 7 am, and with no one in front, zooming through 18 before it gets oppressively hot, lunch at the club house, and replaying it in the afternoon!

As a student, I pay about 500 a year, which covers greens fees. Greens fees are $8 (9) or $12 (18). If I want a cart, I have to pay the $12 cart fee. I go M-Th and walk 9 in the afternoon.

I've gone out alone a couple times this summer while my buddies are slaving away at work. There's not a better feeling in the world than teeing off at 7 am, and with no one in front, zooming through 18 before it gets oppressively hot, lunch at the club house, and replaying it in the afternoon!

YES YES YES. Whenever I have Friday with no class (college student, as mentioned above), my girlfriend and I go at 8 am. She drives, I golf, she pays

I don't really like it. I like having somone to talk to about shots and to watch putting lines. Really the company is just nice.

I agree that company is nice, but I also like going alone.

My friend, I play golf 2 times a week, I usually play twosomes or threesomes, but once in a while, I play solo. Its enjoyable, its peaceful, and you usually play better, BUT the big problem here is, if you just play solo, the moment you play in a foursome you will be the worst round of you life because you are not used to the pressure, the rush, etc. So, if you want to improve dont play solo all the time.

What´s in my bag

Driver: Hibore Monster 10.5 Regular Flex, Fujikura
3 wood: Big Bertha 15 Stiff Flex
Hybrid: Halo 22 (3) StiffIrons: X18 3-PWWedges: Vokey Spin 56; 60Putter: Ball: Pro V1

• 3 weeks later...
I love to play alone but it look like more and more difficult to reserve a tee time for a single player.

bag:
hybdrid: XM1 24°
irons: XM1 (5-PW)
wedges: x-forged 56°
putter: Karsten B60balls: juice ix

Where I am, I go out once or twice a week as a solo. I get the first tee time at my club, which is 7am. Im done with 18 in about 2 hours or less. Great relaxing morning.

i really hate the "you should" attitude. So i like to play alone. But may course now request a twosome as minimun.

I have a cart bag.

driver: big bertha
woods: FT 3-5-7-9
Hybrid: heavenwood 26°Irons: X-20 6-PWwedges: X-tour 54-58°putter: redwood

I haven't went by myself before but it doesn't sound as if it would be very enjoyable. Maybe it's just me but I enjoy being in a group and socializing between my shots.

While I enjoy playing with a group of people that I know, on a day when I simply have time to hit the course, I prefer to play alone to playing with someone that I don't know. I usually turn the course "waits" into practice sessions, pitching balls from the fairway or rough toward the 100 posts, etc. Then when it's time to hit the green I go for it...then move on.

Here in Texas, there are times in the summer when nobody is on the course in the afternoon. The "hot" doesn't bother me, so I love to play on those days. If not pushed, I'll often play two balls (yellow vs white) and essentially play two full rounds (no mulligans with either color). Those are the days I really like!!!

Playing with my friends is great, but they only play on weekends as a rule. I truly love the game so I have no problem going on as a single, indeed two thirds of my rounds are played alone or with strangers. The guys in the pro shop at my club try to put me out with other members so I have probably golfed with about half of our membership over the years. Even total strangers are fine because I have very very seldom played with people that made me feel uncomfortable. One of the most enjoyable rounds I ever played was when I joined up with a lesbian couple. It was like playing with a couple of guys as the good natured needling started by the time we putted out on the first green. I had a blast and it only happened because I was willing to play golf with total strangers. If they're golfers, thats enough common ground for me.
I do play a few rounds a year all by myself. I try to play these rounds just like any other, that is I play one ball, no mulligans or "do overs". My biggest fear during these solo rounds is that I'll finally get that elusive hole in one and there will be no one around to witness it. Imagine telling your buddies "Yeah i got an ace, but I was alone......" Yeah for sure....

I am only a Junior in high school and most of my friends that play golf at my local country club can't always play with me ( work, watching siblings, rides) SoI quite often go out by myself and it is very relaxing and soothing. If you are worried about getting bored bring along your I pod thats what I do, make sure to feed the wire through your shirt though , or else it gets in the way of your swing.

In the Sasquatch Tour Standbag
Driver: Hibore (10.5deg, Reg)
3 wood:Burner(22 deg, Reg)
4I-GW:FP Irons(Stiff)
Wedge:Satin Black( 60 deg, Stiff)Putter: 2 Ball BladeBall:HX Hot or ProV1xLowest score to date: 77 @ Pembroke Country Club

• 2 weeks later...
I love golfing solo!
I usually play solo, local 9 hole muni, early in the morning. I love it. No pressure, no talking, just you, the course, the club(s) and the ball. It's a Zen thing.
Sometimes I don't even keep the score! Shank the ball - who cares!!! Deep rough - I love it! 3-putts - Bring it on! Best 2 hours in a day!

Weapons of choice:
Big Bertha 460 Driver
3W Big Bertha (2007)
TaylorMade r7 Draw Rescue Hybrid Wood #3TaylorMade RAC OS 2 IronsMens Vokey Spin Milled Tour 56 & 60PING Karsten Series Anser2 (I like the classic look and feel)Whatever Ball is on sale (currently Pro V1 2007)

I love playing alone. Too bad here it hardly ever happens. I am alot more avid than my friends so I go alot by myself and end up being put with a threesome, twosome, or another single.

Playing alone lets you have a real practice rround where you can try another hit if you flub your shot to see what you did wrong etc etc.

bag

burner 10.5* driver

mp-57s irons white hot 2 ball putter

Generally, I try to golf with friends, but often I get out alone. I usually score my best rounds solo. I can really take my time and concentrate on my shots. I am not rushed worrying about the group behind because they can't keep up with a solo no matter how much time I waste.

If I catch up to a group in front, I usually spend a little more time around the greens and hit a couple of balls. Great practice.

I prefer to golf with others, but don't mind the occasional solo round at all.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

I've never played a round by myself before, was wondering if it is a popular thing to do? I normally only see groups playing, I can't recall seeing solo golfers. I really want to focus on my game and take the time to read shots, and work on my game.

Because I live across the street from my home course, I drive my cart over there, after supper, to play 9 or 18 holes by myself from time to time. I enjoy playing the occassional round by myself. I find the peace and quiet of an early summer evening round played by myself relaxing ( most of the time: it is, after all, golf ).

Occassionaly, I will play a round by myself on an early Sunday morning. Again, these rounds can be wonderful.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!