IGNORED

Nike Sumo 2 5300 Driver PROBLEMS!

Note: This thread is 5744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ok im sure its just me! but im new to golf and recently purchased this club. Im having trouble hitting it and not sure why? Sometimes the ball goes about 30 yards its like its hitting the bottom maybe? and other times it goes 250+ is there a different way to use this club or is it something I have to get use to because I dont have this problem with my dads king cobra or and other normal head drivers. And I thought maybe it was just me but my dad who is a fairly good player had the same problem? Thanks
In the Bag:

Driver: Sumo 2 9.5 stiff
3 Wood: Sumo 15 stiff
Irons 3-PW: Forged MACTEC m685 Putter: V-Foil Bag: Xtreme Sport Carry IILooking for a Sandwedge!

I had the same issues with last years model, as did 90% of the people that had to try it when I played with them. I downsized my driver for now and it has helped my play immensely - I may take it out again someday or may just go in a different direction.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just had a used one I returned, same thing for me. I think it really delivers with a super smooth swing and I am sorta erratic! Now I had my pals with good swings hit it, few times they flubbed it, but after a few hits they crushed the ball.
I wanted to love it, but in the end it just wasn't for me at this point.
Good luck!

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Are you teeing it up high enough?

I picked one up last year, and it has probably been the best club in my bag. I have found more fairways with it than any of my previous drivers, and I find it incredibly forgiving on mishits.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

Are you teeing it up high enough?

Yeah I am I really dont understand why its doing this?

In the Bag:

Irons 3-PW: Forged MACTEC m685 Putter: V-Foil Bag: Xtreme Sport Carry IILooking for a Sandwedge!

I had the same issues with last years model, as did 90% of the people that had to try it when I played with them. I downsized my driver for now and it has helped my play immensely - I may take it out again someday or may just go in a different direction.

Do you have any recommendations for a smaller driver?

In the Bag:

As you can see the driver in my signature is what I currently use. However I have tried out the Titleist 907 D2 and hit it solidly when I've tested it - the only reason I havent bought it is that my b-day is close and the wife needs something to get me. Honestly I think any name brand 460cc head will probably be fine as long as it isnt that damn square one.

Follow me on twitter

As you can see the driver in my signature is what I currently use. However I have tried out the Titleist 907 D2 and hit it solidly when I've tested it - the only reason I havent bought it is that my b-day is close and the wife needs something to get me. Honestly I think any name brand 460cc head will probably be fine as long as it isnt that damn square one.

haha thats funny I was just looking at the 907! Im hoping they will let me return the sumo since I just bought it 10 days ago! I guess that will be my deciding factor!

In the Bag:

I'm pretty sure it's you, not the club. When it goes 30 yards, does it go for like 5 feet and just take a nose dive, does it fly straight up in the air and drop, what happens?

Also, if you really want to change out drivers, don't look at the d2, not even the d1. Both will tear you apart.

Best of luck.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

PRACTICE!

People these days ALWAYS think it's the equipment. Spend a few weeks with it. You can't expect to pick up a new, off-the-shelf driver and smack it 300 yards down the middle!

And it's you, not the club!
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

I'm pretty sure it's you, not the club. When it goes 30 yards, does it go for like 5 feet and just take a nose dive, does it fly straight up in the air and drop, what happens?

Yeah it goes more like 5-10 feet then rolls but I thought it was just me too but then my dad had the same problem and he is pretty good so im kinda at a loss of what it would be?

In the Bag:

Yeah it goes more like 5-10 feet then rolls but I thought it was just me too but then my dad had the same problem and he is pretty good so im kinda at a loss of what it would be?

it probably has something to do with our swings - i gave mine 7 months before I started picking up other drivers - not that I didnt get a few good rips with the sumo, they were just not often enough. However you are tempting me to put it in the bag today to see what happens.

Follow me on twitter

PRACTICE!

I understand that but why is it that I dont have a problem with my dads drivers and I do with this one?

In the Bag:

Pro's on the PGA tour use that exact same driver and hit it just fine. I would have to agree with the people who think the problem has to do with the people swinging the club and not the club itself.

With that said, if you have your mind made up that you dont like the driver anymore, then by all means get something else. There are plenty of nice drivers to choose from these days. Head to you local retailer and hit as many as you can until you find something your comfortable with.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

I understand that but why is it that I dont have a problem with my dads drivers and I do with this one?

All drivers are different. That club is well known, so it's not like its some knockoff driver you can't hit. After a while, you'll get used to it, and start smacking them.

What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

I have one too. Other than the noise it makes, I love it. Confidence is a huge part of the game. If you step up to hit your driver and think it's going to go 30 feet then it's going to go 30 feet regardless of which club it is.

• 2 weeks later...
i have one and i found that when i swing really hard and try to smash it it goes 50 yards and when i take it real easy and gi ve it a goood stroke it goes. Maybe your just swinging too hard.

Note: This thread is 5744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!