IGNORED

My Swing (wrx_junki)

wrx_junki
Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

An update of my swing. Don't know if anything got better but any advice will be appreciated!

6-Iron Down the Line:
http://www.swingacademy.com/swingana...l.aspx?id=1164

7-Iron Down the Line:
http://www.swingacademy.com/swingana...l.aspx?id=1163

Driver Down the Line:
http://www.swingacademy.com/swingana...l.aspx?id=1165

Here's a link to the thread with my old swings:
Guess Youtube links no longer work on here. :)

Issues :
Overswinging still.
Right leg straightens out. Worked on not straightening it out but I guess old habits come back. :(

« Keith »

Great setup, I get really lazy with my posture, keep that up.

Now the swing. You know you're over swinging. Keep in mind that short irons - wedges, the backswing is not even close to parallel.

I'll post later with more insight, but here's a little tip that I think could work for you. Tuck your left arm right next to your body, and keep it stuck there throughout this entire swing. Now, set up, and turn your torso really inside, almost or even brushing your right hand against your right leg. Now you should be able to feel all the mistakes your doing in your downswing. When you throw your shoulders first, you'll feel yourself get disconnected. Instead, throw your right knee towards the ball, and feel your lower body start to rotate your upper body. You should finally feel what it likes to come from the inside, instead of the outside.

If that paragraph is confusing, let me know I'll try to explain it more. That's what finally let me feel what it was like to actually swing a golf club the right way.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

• Administrator
You should submit your video to Swing Check. Just get in touch with Tom (Avid Golfer) and figure out the best way to get the videos to him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

im not a instructor but is your head supposed to turn that much? at the top of your back swing you like looking at the camera

In My: Black Titleist sc75 Bag
Driver:  G20 10*

Irons: Soon To Be Titleist 712 CB/MB Combos 
Wedge: 60* Spin Milled Oilcan

Putter: Circa 62 Model 1Putter #2 Vintage Pal

Ball:  E6

Your setup and impact positions look pretty good. I would work on your takeaway and backswing. You look stiff on the backswing and I can't see how your wrists are setting. Look up ways to set your wrists earlier and backswing positions you want to get in, i.e. when your arm is parallel to ground, club is pointing at ball.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Keeping the flex in the right knee will keep the hips from turning as drastically, and that in turn will shorten your shoulder turn and arm swing to a degree as well. You don't need a huge swing to generate power, and you'll likely see an increase in your distance as your swing takes on a more compact form. You know the correct thing(s) to work on, so you just need to keep doing them until they become automatic.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

You should submit your video to Swing Check. Just get in touch with Tom (Avid Golfer) and figure out the best way to get the videos to him.

Keeping the flex in the right knee will keep the hips from turning as drastically, and that in turn will shorten your shoulder turn and arm swing to a degree as well. You don't need a huge swing to generate power, and you'll likely see an increase in your distance as your swing takes on a more compact form. You know the correct thing(s) to work on, so you just need to keep doing them until they become automatic.

How do I go about submitting my video to Swing Check? Also, someone commented on my driver swing but didn't really understand him too well.

« Keith »

i would just work on keeping you hips quiet on your backswing that will help keep your from overswinging

-matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

i would just work on keeping you hips quiet on your backswing that will help keep your from overswinging

So I shouldn't rotate my hips on the backswing?

« Keith »

I only took a look at your 6 iron video... you are swinging over the top, probably because you are over swinging. Check out the angle of your takeaway compared to your swing down.
You will know when you're swinging over the top by your finish... I guess you crack your golf club on that bone on the back of your neck at your finish because the club is coming vertically over your shoulder. Notice that a low handicapper will finish with the club wrapping round their neck with it far, far more horizontal.

Yeah I noticed that Immelman's finish was more horizontal while mine was more vertical. So possibly with making my swing more compact, my over the top swing may be fixed as well?

« Keith »

Address

Just before Impact

Just after Impact

With my irons the shaft was on the same plane at address and impact but my driver seems to be way off. Is this a problem because of all the other issues?

« Keith »

If you're looking to try new things, here's one that helped me.

I used to overswing, not to the degree that yours is at, but it was still way too long. Instead of focusing on, "get the clubhead back for more power," only focus and think, "get my shoulder square over the ball, drop the clubhead and smoothly drive through the ball." It's all a slow, smooth, square swing.

I'm guessing because your head moves back with the club, that's why your shoulders and arms are able to rotate so far back. You could really try not to move your head or eyes.

What my swing comes down to is making sure my shoulders are over the ball at my highest point, the clubhead is just past perpendicular to the ground, and then of course I focus on a smooth, downward, accuracy oriented swing. Oh - and bend the knees on downswing just a little bit - helps with trajectory.

Again - only reason I'm telling you this is because I used to have a similar problem. Now the big swing didn't work for me - if it's working for you I'd suggest making small changes . Mine are cutting down the swing and making for a smoother, squarer swing.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

If you're looking to try new things, here's one that helped me.

The view you see is restricted swing. I made it shorter than before. I guess its just the way I started out and it just feels natural. I never try to kill the ball but my backswing just goes that far. Wish I knew my mistakes earlier before I got in a habit.

« Keith »

I didn't see from the video, but the usual problem with such a large backswing is your hands tend to break at the top, making it almost impossible to bring the club back to it's resting position with the club and your wrists in the same spot as they were before.

For me, it always felt natural but after trying to make them loose but not in motion, that helped too. Something to keep an eye out for.

But hey - just because your swing is a little longer than others, that doesn't mean something is wrong. But usual golf techs say no to it - but if it works, it works and stick with it while just changing up little things to fine tune it. My first post was kinda an alternate route if you decide to overhaul. Been there, done that ya know? But the ball, coming off the club at impact, looked fantastic in all three of your videos.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

I think the biggest problem in fixing over-swinging is mental. People over-swing because they think the get power from it. It's really hard to convince yourself that a shorter swing is more powerful and consistent. In your swing, your shoulder turn is pretty big relative to your stance, but not really that big at all relative to your hips. Don't focus on making a big turn to generate power, focus on coiling your shoulders against your legs and hips and maintaining that coil late in the down swing. It may move your shoulders from 135 degrees to 110, but you'll hit the ball way farther.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

• 1 year later...

Could only get a face on view since there was a plastic wall behind me.

What I got from my swing video:
1. Still need to shorten the backswing some.
2. Stop going OTT and casting.
3. Keep my right foot planted for better balance and power.
4. Head movement.

I'm sure there are other things I am doing wrong so please point them out for me. Drills on fixing some of the fatal flaws will be much appreciated!

« Keith »

Nice follow through a finish.

It looks like the timing of your release is just a bit off. You begin to generate lag in your downswing, but rather than maintaining this it looks like you release the club early in the downswing. As a result, rather than really compressing the ball and allowing the club to fire through at impact, the ball is simply getting int the way of the clubhead.

I'd suggest the following:
- Narrow your stance up to should width or just beyond that.
- Work on your weight shift. (Transfer more weight on your right foot at the top, but make sure that you've released your weight to your left on follow through)
- Work on solid contact at impact. Hit shots with your feet together, concentrating on timing your release to maximize your power and efficiency at impact. With a 3/4 swing and your feet together, you should be able to generate about 70% of your full swing distance with a proper release.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Note: This thread is 5112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!