IGNORED

From 9 to 5

mrgilmore
Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone, My handicap currently is sitting on 9.3 and i think if i keep playing ill get it down to 7 but i really want to get it down to 5 and was just wondering what you guys worked on to get it down. Was it a certain aspect of your game that you fine tuned to get your handicap down?

Whats in my bag:

Burner HT 13* Reax Regular Shaft
R7 19* Reax Regular Shaft
AP1's 4-PW Project X 5.5 Shafts Vokey Spin Milled 60.08 56.10 Rossa Siena 4 Pro V1"Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t"

I'm working on roughly the same goal and for me it's all about short game. My irons and tee shots are pretty okay but from 100 yards and in I'm poor. If you haven't read Pelz short game bible I'd recommned it.

I average 37 putts per round which normally includes a couple of three putts. This is an obvious area for improvement for everybody. Trying to hole ten in a row from three feet is a good practise drill - start over if you miss one.

Driver - RAM FX V
3 Wood - Callaway Steelhead Hybrid - Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21 degree
Irons - Titleist DCI 4-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG10, 52, 56, 60 degree
Putter - Rife Antigua

I would measure the following during my round of golf:

1) Fairway hit
2) Greens hit
3) Number of Putts
4) How many up and downs
5) Sand saves
6) How many birdies
7) How many boogies or others

the holes that are over par you can analysis what was the weak shot during that holes and is there a consistent pattern for the weak part of your game?

most time its putts especially if you are 3 putting some holes.
most times it getting up and down from around the green.

shots from 50 yards
shots from 100 yards
shots from 150 yards
shots from 200 yards

are shots that allow you to score or help you get up and down to save par.
Practice before the round and practice after the round, spend most of your practice with the short game including putting.

Exercise for flexibility and cardio for the back nine.

The rest is all positive thinking and mental fortitude to help you shoot par and under par during your round of golf.

I like to be consistent with shooting a good score consecutively.

just my 2 cents

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

just my 2 cents

2 cents?!? more like $20! That is good stuff.

Since I'm not there yet, I'll be taking your advice. My recommendation to anyone trying to improve their game is to focus on putting, period. My favorite drill for putting is the Spiral Drill: 1. Place tees at 1 foot increments from the hole, offsetting them to give yourself space to putt (the end result will look like a spiral going out from the hole - hence the name of the drill). 2. Use only 2 balls and begin putting from the first tee (closest to the hole). 3. If you make the first shot, move to the next tee. If you miss, putt the second ball. 4. If you miss the second ball, start over at the first tee. 5. Continue putting until you have successfully dropped a putt from each tee location. The beauty of this drill is that in those instances where you miss the first putt, you put yourself into a game-like situation where there is legitimate pressure to make the putt.

I do the same exact thing...but I feel stingy with the score card b/c I do it all on the card. I use f'w. GIR.

for par 5's I split the f/w box into 2 to mark where I hit unless I hit the green in 2 (still a rarity for me). I have a Hazard box for sand & water. then a putt box and then a score box. if it's an up & down then I notate with a +..even if it's a bogey. I've noticed my score REALLY suffers when I hit a fairway bunker...but I do a lot better hitting out of a greenside bunker. playing out of the rough, I've learned my % of par drops down when my 1st shot goes into the rough by nearly 30%...that's a terrible stat...it means that I'm basically looking at a bogey unless I hit the fairway. and then my % on long par 4's of 440+ drops down to only 20% which means my long iron game needs some strong work!
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

For me, it's everything that happens before I take a shot. The things that I focus on:

1) Choosing the right club
2) Practice swing
3) Commitment to the type of shot I'm playing
4) Alignment/Posture
5) Making a good swing

I used to have too many thoughts and these are the five that I go through before every shot. I've also relegated myself to believing as long as I commit to these things, I will be satisfied with the results, good or bad.

I don't think about FW, GIR, etc. As long as I concentrate on the above 5, those things will take care of themselves.

As for missing less putts, I've been reading Dr. Rotella's book. Give it a read. It will actually help in all facets of your game.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Understanding the golf swing and how it works properly,and mastering the short game.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

my key is fairways hit... thats pretty much it unless I'm playing a really long course (which around here is hard to find)

I'm a 6.2 on your average golf course, give me 7000 yards and that changes because I'm not the longest guys out there

typical drive is 270 max

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

My favorite drill for putting is the Spiral Drill:

Okay, that drill is awesome. That drill is going into play next time I get some alone time on the putting green for sure. Love it.

I've never actually taken stats down and analysed my game like that. I guess thats a reason why i dont really no what my weakness is because i hit everything decent, hopefully this will point something out and ill be able to focus on that part of my game.

I shot a 40 before with a triple on the first lol, so i played awesome golf for 8 holes and terrible for one.

Whats in my bag:

Burner HT 13* Reax Regular Shaft
R7 19* Reax Regular Shaft
AP1's 4-PW Project X 5.5 Shafts Vokey Spin Milled 60.08 56.10 Rossa Siena 4 Pro V1"Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a s**t"

• Administrator
1) Short game
2) Consistency
3) Course Management

The End

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!