IGNORED

Master Cigars Thread

AMGfan
Note: This thread is 2915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so here is a question for the long time humidor users(josh

Check out Famous Cigars. They have some good articles on "calibrating" an analog humistat. Actually, they are very good once they are calibrated. I have used digital models, and have found that they can vary quite a bit. I have had them give readings (comparing two in the same humidor) of 5 percentage points and more!

I reccommend using the largest humidor and investing in the "Cigar Oasis" - check it out - I love this thing....

WTIB:
Callaway FT-9 Tour 9.5° Scads of shafts - now: Kai'li 63 stiff
Tour Edge Exotics 3 & 5 FW
Callaway X-22 Tour irons
Bobby Jones 3 & 4 hybridsRife Abaco/Odyessy Black Series i9 puttersWith a few more hangin' around

That actually would work just fine. I use the $5 digitals and keep them in each one, but either way, that will work.

You use the $5 digital as a replacement for the analog, or just put the digital inside the box? Do you have a link to said $5 digitals? The ones I saw start at $20

Check out Famous Cigars. They have some good articles on "calibrating" an analog humistat. Actually, they are very good once they are calibrated. I have used digital models, and have found that they can vary quite a bit. I have had them give readings (comparing two in the same humidor) of 5 percentage points and more!

I have calibrated them, but one was nearly impossible to turn the screw and I think I may have ruined it, just trying to find a low cost fix I guess. I have checked the Oasis, and I think I may go that route here soon, just trying to keep from investing too much right now.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I just have a digital thrown in mine. I was having problems with my oasis so I switched over to Boveda packs. No problems since and they send me new packs every two months.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

I'm a big fan of the digital hygrometer. I got one from Cigarmony, and it replaces the cheap-o analog unit that came with my humidor. (I have the round one shown here: http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?P...ATS&Category;=7 )

The other thing I do, to keep my humidity constant, is to use Relative Humidity beads rather than any of the gels or PG solutions on the market. I keep my humi at 65%, it seems to be a perfect compromise (many fine cigars don't like 70%, and will develop mold) I went in with a few buddies, and we bought a pound of beads. You take the correct amount, stick them in a panty hose that I got from my wife, and it fits where the floral foam junk was in my humidor. I've now got an extremely consistent humidity, and an excellent gauge, with no loss of storage space in my humi. http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?P...ATS&Category;=8

Someone here mentioned a Cigar Oasis. They're pretty awesome, but you need a larger humidor to justify one (3+ cubic feet of storage, or a fridge-a-dor) Sticking one in a 100 count humidor will take up a lot of space, and overpower it quickly.

Seasoning your new humidor can make or break its consistency. Read up on it. It can take a couple of weeks to do it right.

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

I have had the 25-50 count for about a year and have been using PG solution and that box is a steady 70% RH. I am currently seasoning the 150 count, and will do so for another week(2 weeks total). I quickly outgrew the smaller box, and I think I am going to switch both boxes over to 65% beads, this seems a lower maintenence, lower cost way of humidifying. In calibrating the newer hygrometer I think I have ruined it due to the adjustment screw being difficult to turn, and don't want to waste more money on another analog one. So I may just put a digi in that box. I was pretty clueless at first and didn't have any problems setting up the first box, but the new box has me rethinking the best way to maintain both of them.
My Bag

Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

You can get the cheap analog hygrometers "close" by using the salt test.

Cigars Intl has a how-to section that describes it pretty well.

So Josh, are you the sneaky bugger that's beat me out when I've tried to win a hygrometer on C-bid?????

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

You can get the cheap analog hygrometers "close" by using the salt test.

I have used the one step calibration bags and got them "close", but like I said if you tap the glass it will change 2-4%(I know, "then don't tap the glass"

) but it makes me question the accuracy if a simple tap can change it that much. I think I got lucky the first time around setting up a humidor, but I still feel like I am not absolutely sure what the humidity using the analog ones. Probably just get a digi and use that to check the boxes every couple weeks and just keep the analog ones in there for "looks". Thanks for the replies guys!!
My Bag

Has anyone tried a nub cigar yet? The concept is interesting as I am one who enjoys the end of the cigar. Im going to order 5 online and try them out.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

I don't know much about golf, but I am a huge cigar fan. My current favorites are anything Illusione, the Tatuaje Brown Lables, and Padrons - as well as many others that come from a certain island south of miami. I spend a lot of time on www.stogiechat.com and love smoking and talking about cigars.

In my bag:
Driver:
Woods:
HyBrid:
Irons: 

Putter:

Welcome to the board. Im more of a Graycliff person right now. As well as the usual favs. Recently been smoking a lot of Pepins and Ashtons (sun grown). Tatuaje Brown Labels are great as is the fact that you can never go wrong with Padrons

Welcome to the board. Im more of a Graycliff person right now. As well as the usual favs. Recently been smoking a lot of Pepins and Ashtons (sun grown). Tatuaje Brown Labels are great as is the fact that you can never go wrong with Padrons

Thanks for the welcome. Graycliff makes a nice product, but they tend to be a little expensive. Everything Pepin touches seems to turn to gold. I love the San Cristobals and the Ashton VSGs. You have some good taste.

In my bag:
Driver:
Woods:
HyBrid:
Irons: 

Putter:

Note: This thread is 2915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!