IGNORED

4 wood?

Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is something I have contemplated about for a while now since I am not legal when it comes to the number of clubs in the bag....

I just think that there could be too much of a distance gap between your 3i and your 4w.

I currently have a 4+ wood and am looking to replace it with either a Callaway FT 4 wood or a Mizuno F-60 4 wood. I'd rather carry an extra wedge than 2 fairway woods. I probs only use my fairway wood 2-3 times a round while I'm always mixing up my wedges from 125 yards and in depending on the situation I find myself.

G15 9* w/Aldila Serrano 63S
FT 4 wood w/ Aldila NVS 75S
i15 20* hybrid w/UST Mamiya Avix Core Tour Red 84S
4-PW MP-57 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.5")
52, 56 and 60 degree MP-10 Satin w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge FlexStudio Stock #4, BB25, Fastback 1.5 or Backstryke Blade..... @ 34"P...

i think the 4 wood or a strong 4 is a great option! i am looking to do the same thing (unless the new shaft in my ping i3 17º wood smokes it past the 4) i dont know why, but i LOVE that old club. none of the new woods feel as good as that one, and the ball flight/distance is perfect!

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

Just came home with the F60, 16.5*. Feels really solid on the range, hopefully the weather will hold and I cna get a round in tonight!

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

....consider it only if you can consistently benefit from it not only from a yardage standpoint....but dispersion.

I seen some that can hit a 5W...but not a 3W consistently. Then when they go to a 4W...they still don't hit it as consistently as a 5W.

Instead of the 3W...maybe it might be a different club...like a 2-hybrid.

I can understand that for sure. I haven't been hitting my 3 too well lately (usually do) and want to add a gap wedge so I took out the 3 and 5 for this 4. I wouldn't have done it, but...I have a 7 wood that I have been hitting nearly as long as my 5 so that will pick up that slakc there I hope.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

I've been hitting my 3-Wood well lately, and I'm a short hitter, so I don't need any more wedges at the moment, so I haven't considered it... yet.

Given my distance improvements, I figure I might one day have a large gap in distance coverage in my wedges. If that day comes, I'll consider a reorganization of my long clubs, and if that happens, my plan is to have Driver, 4-Wood, hybrid/FLI-HI/3-iron, then my irons, wedges, putter.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sure!!!
If you look at my signature, there is a Ping G10 4 wood in it...
I favored the gap wedge instead of having a 3 & 5 woods.
Off the tee and off the fairway I make almost the same distance with my 4 wood than with a 3 wood, and it´s easier to hit.
My 21º hybrid makes also the same distance than a 5 wood and it´s easier, too...
Al least at my handicap level, I prefer this bag setup
Hope this helps...

Hibore XLS 10.5º Yellow Reg
909F3 13º Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Reg
Big Bertha 17º Reg
585.H 21º Graphite 4175 Reg
804.OS 4-9 Graphite 3975 Reg Vokey Spin Milled 48.06 54.14 60.10 Tess G2 35" ProV1XHome course: Ria de Vigo Golf Vigo (SPAIN)

Well, I got to use it for one shot! Played a really short course and I was playing well (45!), so I never really had a need for it. I used it on a 185 par 3 and laid off of it some...friggin pretty much pin high, but I pulled it and missed the green.
Feels just super solid.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

I have never been able to hit my 3-Wood well. I am opposite of everyone I know. I hit my driver much better, especially off the tee. Off the turf, I hit my 3 and 4 hybrids MUCH better than my 3W....they actually go longer because I make such better and more consistant contact.

Quick update for ya...at the range...

This is just a super solid feeling club. I can tell poor hits easily and am not punished too bad, but the solid feeling is what I love the most about it. I wonder if their 560 driver feels similar?
I am loving it at the range at least! I can really lay off it with some control and get it around 170, smack her and I can get the 190-200 quite easily. So it is likely fitting well.

907 D2 9.5 Adila
MP57
Various hybrids
Too many putters
Exodus

Great idea replacing 2 woods with one! Most amateurs have multiple clubs at the top of the set that hit the same distance. I only carry one wood but it is a 5 wood. That is the lowest loft and longest shaft I can consistently hit high off the deck. The 4 will give you almost the distance as a 3 off the tee, and almost the same control as a 5 off the deck. The best of both worlds, or the worst as it may be. As for the F60, i've never hit one but I think they are rather neutral, meaning you will be grooving a good swing and not relying on technology to hide a slice.

PING G5 12deg. UST proforce V2
CALLAWAY 2004 BB 5 wood
COBRA DWS Baffler 23
CLEVELAND CG2 4-PW
TITLELIST 250-08, spin-milled 56-14, 60-04
PING Craze-E putter

Definitely thought about it.

Even took a look at Golfsmith. Couldn't find a single one. All 15-15.5 deg. 3 woods or 19 deg. 5 woods.

I guess it would have to be the internet. It would be nice to at least hit one off the indoor mats.
"I say pick it up a******. Put it in your pocket. You're lucky you found it. Go the **** home will ya?"

--George Carlin

Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!