IGNORED

the only thing I hate about golf

ITgolfHack
Note: This thread is 5796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can't stand being at the mercy of the weather when it comes to planning events.

I got off work early today and was going to finally play a full 18 holes, all at once for a change. I figured I would run home, eat a light dinner and then hit the course. Just as I'm pulling into the garage, my blackberry beeps and it's an email indicating a sever weather watch. I turn on the TV and there is a beautiful line of storms right on course for my part of the state.

The storms should drench the course right around 5:30 which should delay enough golfers with tee times to make playing twilight all but worthless.

Guess I'll just head to the range after the storm and hit a bucket. I was also supposed to play 18 with a friend tomorrow morning, but it might still be raining. AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

I couldn't play at all last week and most of this week because of some foot problems.

My foot finally feels perfect and I can't play today and tomorrow morning is looking unlikely as well. I've got other stuff to do the rest of the day tomorrow. I hate playing on weekends because of the crowds and I've got to go to Albuquerque next week for work. WILL I EVER GET TO PLAY?!?!?!?!?!

Ahhh, I feel better, rant over.

I feel ya man, I was jinxed at the beginning of the year. The first 5 rounds I had schedualed it rained specifically on those days. You've got alot of golf ahead of you though. Anywhere where there is an indoor range where you live?

Although I do like going to the range in the Rain, its really fun.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I had this happen two weeks ago. A friend of a friend had someone who knows someone get a them a tee time at one of the private courses in town and they invited me to play. This course hosts a Nationwide Tour event every year. I had only played it a couple of times, but they were events where I never played my own ball. I was so excited to play the course to see what I could do. I took the day off work and the tee time was 2:50. Play was delayed about 30 minutes due to some earlier rain. Went to the range and hit some putts. About 10 minutes before we were to start the tornado sirens went off. About an hour later and a flooded course, I went home disappointed.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

I hear ya. When I'm getting out of work or school and I just wanna get on the course, mother nature can just say no. lol.

- Tour Issue Taylormade R7 Superquad TP Matrix Ozik Xcon 5 X-stiff
- Nike Dymo 3 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff
- Nike Dymo 5 Wood UST Axivcore Stiff- Nike Blades 3-PW S300- Nike SV Tour 50* 54* 58* S400- Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Beach- Nike Tour D

I was actually getting ready to head to the course right now. I read this and thought, maybe I should check the radar. There is a big fat storm about 20 minutes away hiding straight for us and getting stronger

As a fellow Metro Detroiter, I feel your pain, ITgolfHack. I was fortunate enough to actually get the lawn mowed and make it to the range after 5pm tonight...just got home!

You must admit that the storms this year have been worse than most...it isn't usually quite this bad. Still, it does sting when we only get three 'Summer-like' months in Michigan and a good 1/3 of those days are rainy.

sleepy

-= My bag =-

Driver, 3 & 5 Woods:
Fairway Woods: Stan Thompson 'Ginty'
Irons 3 - PW: Eye 2 (red dot) Sand Wedge: $10 bargain bucket special Putter: Rossie mallet Ball: Longest Noodle or DT SoLo (reconditioned)Shoes:

Last Feb. a friend and myself booked a Mesquite, NV golf package. The first day we were scheduled to play Wolf Creek. The wind was blowing with gusts 40 to 50 miles per hour. Since we had no time to reschedule, we played anyway. We were sand blasted, but I hit my first 300 yard drive when the wind grabbed my ball. It was an experience, but a lot better than sitting in the motel room complaining about the weather.

Last Feb. a friend and myself booked a Mesquite, NV golf package. The first day we were scheduled to play Wolf Creek. The wind was blowing with gusts 40 to 50 miles per hour. Since we had no time to reschedule, we played anyway. We were sand blasted, but I hit my first 300 yard drive when the wind grabbed my ball. It was an experience, but a lot better than sitting in the motel room complaining about the weather.

Sometimes you just have to "charge it", as we say in my corner of VA. I have played on many a nasty day and would rather be no where else!

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Yep I agree as long as there's no lightning, the hell with it just go.

I usually find that when Im out on the course walking the rain isnt as severe as it looks when looking out at the puddles on the street or driving in yoru car, and after the first 2 holes it cant get any worse anyway you're already soaked so what the hell?

The best part is usually the course is yours at this point too. Hit some extra drives, hit a shot your going to play then try to hit a few more 'fancy' ones and see if you could have done better if you werent playing so safe.

Then after the round say... Yeah I shot ok, i got a xx but if it was dry I probably could have knocked at LEAST THIS many strokes off... and strut back to the club house.

Adams Golf Idea a2 OS Hybrids
(all but the 3iron, I broke it )

Yep I agree as long as there's no lightning, the hell with it just go.

Understandable you're from Seattle. What other choice do you have
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Yeah exactly... I dont understand all these people that I see at work at 6pm asking me how I shot then saying "Yeah I was gonna go but all this damn rain..." Come on man we've been dealing with rain our whole lives up here, as long as it's in the 50s there's no WAY you're going to get hypothermia... I just bring my HUGE coffee mug and always refil on the turn (another seattle past time) and I'm usually sweating after a few holes. I think a cart might actually make it more miserable. Sure my feet get TOTALLY soaked, but I'm walking keeping up my body temp, not riding in the cart getting wind chill.

Adams Golf Idea a2 OS Hybrids
(all but the 3iron, I broke it )

As a fellow Metro Detroiter, I feel your pain, ITgolfHack. I was fortunate enough to actually get the lawn mowed and make it to the range after 5pm tonight...just got home!

Agreed sleepy, a couple weeks ago I missed driving into an almost tornado in Waterford by about 5 minutes. I had to turn around and take a different route twice because trees were blocking the roads.

Thanks for the responses guys and rain doesn't bother me all that much. I'm usually the guy who refuses to put on any rain gear or even use an umbrella. If I'm going to get wet, I might as well get completely soaked and enjoy it. Unfortunately, they are calling for lightning also. I made it to the range and hit a medium bucket and really took my time on each shot. I got to experiment with a lot of different swing information I've absorbed from different sources over the last couple weeks. I'm starting to find that I can make solid contact with almost any kind of swing as long as I manage to keep my front heal on the ground. I even managed to hit a few deliberate draws and fades. All in all, I'd say the day didn't turn out to be as much of a waste as I had expected.

What I hate most about golf is, like most of you, the weather. Even in Mississippi, we get cold days that make playing impossible, not to mention wind and rain. This spring was the windiest and wetest in my memory; the farmers had great difficulty getting their crops in the ground in a timely manner.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Cannot stand playing in the rain....but still do if it's a league or event. I've been trying to get the owner of my course to build a retractable dome over the course. No go....yet.

No retractable dome? Erc thats a bit harsh what sort of course is he managing? Offer to double your membership maybe that will help? ;p

so coming back to the topic - the only thing I hate about golf is not having the time....

No retractable dome? Erc thats a bit harsh what sort of course is he managing? Offer to double your membership maybe that will help? ;p

Ridiculous isn't it?! I'd figured I've already dropped enough cash there.... I'll bring it up though.

so coming back to the topic - the

More time to play would be nice. 36-54 holes/day would be great!

IT -

Take your clubs to Albuquerque. There's plenty of great golf in the surrounding area. The weather won't mess with you too much either. Even if it does rain, it'll only be enough to settle the dust.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...ry=albuquerque

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q;=albuquerque+golf

I'd rather play golf, or go the range in the evenings, than to sit in a hotel room and be bored on a business trip.

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

The other day I'm playing the best 9 holes of my short career. I'm on track, I mean nothing but pars and bogeys (that is good for me)... then as we approach the 8th hole the storm of the century rolls through and ends my streak!

Trying to finish in the pouring rain with thunder approaching I felt like the guy in Caddieshack who gets struck by lightning while setting the course record. :)

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

Note: This thread is 5796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!