IGNORED

Should Kenny Perry play in the Open Championship?

BSweet
Note:Β This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. Should Kenny Perry play in the Open Championship?

• Yes
    • No

I agree with you mikelez. I still think he should be playing the Open but after reading the article you have posted his reasons for not playing make more sense now. Thanks for the post.

Perry is just making excuses. Brandel Chamblee said it best..."Yes, you did commit to Milwaukee, but Milwaukee can care less if you play or not...it's not like your Tiger Woods"

Make no mistake, Kenny Perry is a great golfer. But he is not a star. If he goes and plays in the Open and wins then he might elevate his stardom... it might even punch his ticket into the hall of fame.

Brandon Sweet
Handicap: 11.6
I play on the Hop Brook Server

Inventory:Driver- Burner 9.5 degree3 Wood- BurnerHybrid 3 Iron- R7 Rescue DrawIrons (4-PW)- RAC MBWedges- Vokey Design 56 and 60 degreePutter- Teardrop Roll-Face

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll make the Ryder Cup team, but as has already been alluded to, he is not a megastar and no one really minds where he plays-perhaps he is deluding himself? However, i admire his single mindedness and his strategy and i wish him the best.

Hasnt Perry already got enough money- i don't know that a 10 mn dollar pay out would matter to him that much in the FedEx cup?

It appears I missed a large chunk of the story.

Thanks for posting the article mikelz.

I don't really buy it though. That's what happens when your tournament is opposite a major. Guys who weren't in 6 months ago are in now. That's just how the system works. I respect Kenny but would like to see him compete as well.
He's evidently only in this sport for the money.

Or to compete in the Ryder Cup... which has been his stated goal all year.

He admits:

Agreed. Seems all the more reason to compete this year.

given the choice (if only) i would take the open or any lesser major for that matter

I didn't know there was such a thing as a "lesser" major. To me a major is a major.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

Or to compete in the Ryder Cup... which has been his stated goal all year.

I thought he was already pretty much a lock in for the US team?

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I agree that he should play in the Open.

I do hope the Tour adds or changes a rule not allowing folks to play a regular Tour event if exempt into a Major.

Cheers,
Eric

what's in my Sun Mtn bag:
Driver: 3-Wood: Big Bertha Irons: Mizuno MP-54 Wedge: Mizuno 56Β°-10Β° Putter: Newport 2 Ball: Pro Vx

wow... what an exciting weekend this was... NO

congrats kerry... you beat a 35 year old tour rookie and a guy who hooked a ball from the middle of the fairway

no, good idea... skip a major and win another tournament with another horrible field

I cant stand this guy

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I agree with his decision, he stuck with a plan, and it worked. No need to piss off the golf gods.

I honestly forgot who won last years Open Championship, even though it was memorable, mostly remember Serg's missed putt. BTW, quick...who won last years PGA Championship?

No problem with his choice, if it ain't broke.....break it, then fix it.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I dont even know what tournament is playing alongside the open this week

worst events, one's that are playing during and the week after a major

Daniel Duarte
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

I honestly forgot who won last years Open Championship, even though it was memorable, mostly remember Serg's missed putt. BTW, quick...who won last years PGA Championship?

lol, harrington and woods

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

Agree.

QFT - but how well does he with this mindset fit into the Ryder Cup idea?

Burner 9Β°
FW Burner 15Β°
Burner Rescue 19Β°
MP67 4-PW
CG10 50Β° CG12 DSG 54Β° & 60Β°

the ryder cup is grand and all but its a team comp and not at the same level of a major, the ultimate individual test in sport

Daniel Duarte

I really like Kenny Perry. He's one of my favorite golfers. He always gets the job done. I'm very disappointed to see him forgo the Open Championship. But what the heck, we can't do anything about it.

but how well does he with this mindset fit into the Ryder Cup idea?

If he doesn't want to test himself among the best in the world on a difficult course in a major out of his comfort zone, I'd rather not have him on my team.

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

at first i thought he was a little bit dumb (and didn't really root for him)

but i got his autograph at the John Deere (he's a really nice person)

his reasons seemed fine-he didn't play well at Royal Birkdale, and he had made a commitment to the Milwaukee

plus the weather in England sucks and its rather nice in Wisconsin at the moment

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

of course he should play.

tiger isn't on the course, now everyone has a chance to win. do not pass up this opportunity, because when tiger gets back its lights out, no prisoners.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion /Β TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

can someone remind me why everyones talkin' about K.P?
i like him in Wisconsin this week
and cant think of anything else to say about this!!!
Driver: Tour Burner 10Β°5
3 wood Tight Lies 13Β°
Hybrid 3DX DC 23Β°
Irons: G5
Wedges: oversize 48Β°PW & 56Β°SWPutter: Anser 2Ball: TOURix

did you hear the crap that came out of his mouth...

"I'm 47 and my body doesnt react well to cold weather, I mean... I've always sought out hot weather tournaments so I'm glad I'm here sweating."

complaining about the cold and rain, its the open championship man... unreal someone who is playing well and will be a ryder cup member is shying away from the BEST competition in the world

hey kenny... in the fall you wont be playing against the pappas brothers at valhalla

Daniel Duarte

Note:Β This thread is 5762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!