IGNORED

How do I hit this shot?

Note: This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hit into a greenside bunker yesterday and when I saw my ball, I realized that I had no idea how to hit the shot.

The bunker was on the right side of the green and the ball had 1/3 embedded on the downslope of the bunker about 2 inches below the right side lip. There was no way to take a normal swing at the ball. The only way to make contact would be to chop straight down, with 0 loft on the club and hope that the leading edge of the club would pop the ball out- which did no good of course (and is actually much harder than I suspected - your body doesn't want to do it.)

What would be the proper way to hit this shot toward the green? Should I have just sucked it up and gone sideways to get the ball out?

That damn bunker cost me a "maximum hole score" per ESC.

well if you have any shot towards the green, albeit backwards, sideways, whatever...if you can get it on, its better than not getting it on. if you had a legitiment shot sideways, i would have taken that, but if you were in some serious trouble and taking the shot could cause even more trouble, you can always take an unplayable lie penalty and drop the ball within two clubs not nearer the hole (the ball has to stay in the hazard though). that about all you can do i suppose

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

well if you have any shot towards the green, albeit backwards, sideways, whatever...if you can get it on, its better than not getting it on. if you had a legitiment shot sideways, i would have taken that, but if you were in some serious trouble and taking the shot could cause even more trouble, you can always take an unplayable lie penalty and drop the ball within two clubs not nearer the hole (the ball has to stay in the hazard though). that about all you can do i suppose

I definitely considered taking an unplayable. In fact, when I saw my ball, I said to the rest of my group "I don't know if I can get this ball out."

In retrospect, a sideways shot was an option just to get it out, but it would not have been to the green. It would have been into the rough. I even considered hitting it on the upslope, in the opposite direction of the green, just to get it out. But like the shot to the green, that also would have involved one foot in and one foot out of the bunker, on a very unlevel stance. But if anyone knows a creative technique for a shot to the green, please share!

I hit into a greenside bunker yesterday and when I saw my ball, I realized that I had no idea how to hit the shot.

It is difficult to advise you with out seeing a picture of the situation you were in, but you might have been able to play a lofted shot. If you set up with your hands lower at address the heel of the club will enter the sand before the rest of the club, and that will help you get into the sand quicker (to deal with the embedding) and pop the ball out. As for being near the lip you might find setting your hands above the position you want the club to enter the sand, and hinging the wrists (and feeling like the back shoulder move up toward the sky) as you take the club away helps you to avoid hitting the lip. Finally you talked about how one of your options would have left you with one foot in and one foot out of the bunker. As long as you can get in a balanced position (so that you are unlikely to loose balance during the swing) you should have a chance to hit a decent shot.

Here are a couple of Greg Norman bunker tips that seem to fit with your discription of the situation. Near the back lip: http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/inst...n/lesson66.php Buried lie: http://www.shark.com/sharkwatch/inst...n/lesson63.php

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Avid-

First, thanks for the response and the links. I wasn't aware of that site, but it's bookmarked now.

I was afraid it would be difficult to get a picture just from my description, but I think one of the pictures in your first link may help:

My ball was about 3/4 closer to the lip than the ball in this picture. The bunker was about as deep as where the ball is in the picture.

And if I were to draw an arrow of the club path required to avoid the lip, it would be virtually straight up and down (and even when I tried that, hit missed in front of the ball . . . twice. my body just couldn't make that swing.)

Another difference from the picture is that the only stance I had was 1 foot in, 1 foot out. (But I've hit that shot before. That was the least of my worries.)

I heard Chi Chi had a similar shot in a tournament and he also could not get out and eventually lost the tournament. I heard he went back and practice the same shot over and over with different clubs and found that the only way out was by using his putter. He used his putter by hitting the ball with the toe of his balde putter. Yes, the toe of his bald putter. He had to invert the putter so that the toe was used to make contact with the ball and he swung his putter and was able to hit the ball onto the green and 2 putt for par.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

What would be the proper way to hit this shot toward the green? Should I have just sucked it up and gone sideways to get the ball out?

Yes, or even back out away from the green into a level spot in the bunker. It may have only cost one stroke if positive yardage is forsaken for just getting to a spot that a "normal" shot can be hit. Its not unlike getting into jail with fairway side trees and the only playable shot is back in the fairway with no advancement.

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I heard Chi Chi had a similar shot in a tournament and he also could not get out and eventually lost the tournament. I heard he went back and practice the same shot over and over with different clubs and found that the only way out was by using his putter. He used his putter by hitting the ball with the toe of his balde putter. Yes, the toe of his bald putter. He had to invert the putter so that the toe was used to make contact with the ball and he swung his putter and was able to hit the ball onto the green and 2 putt for par.

I'm having trouble picturing this. Would it be possible for you to describe it a little more?

Yes, or even back out away from the green into a level spot in the bunker. It may have only cost one stroke if positive yardage is forsaken for just getting to a spot that a "normal" shot can be hit. Its not unlike getting into jail with fairway side trees and the only playable shot is back in the fairway with no advancement.

The more I think about it, the more I am concluding that ^^^ would have been the best option. Oh well, live and learn.

The more I think about it, the more I am concluding that ^^^ would have been the best option. Oh well, live and learn.

yeah, i too usually come to that conclusion after reflecting on the way to the next tee box. Doh!

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred." Woody Allen
My regular pasture.

I'm having trouble picturing this. Would it be possible for you to describe it a little more?

the putter is stroked with the face square with the ball but in this shot that Chi Chi Rodrigues (and Vijay Sing below) used the toe of the putter or moved his putter to the side, in another words he turned the putter so that he was making contact with the ball on the toe of the putter and he chopped down on the ball in the sand to pop it out onto the green.

Vijay Sing used this same shot when his ball was between the fringe and the rough on the 16th Green at TPC Sawgrass to make a eagle in 2001.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

the putter is stroked with the face square with the ball but in this shot that Chi Chi Rodrigues (and Vijay Sing below) used the toe of the putter or moved his putter to the side, in another words he turned the putter so that he was making contact with the ball on the toe of the putter and he chopped down on the ball in the sand to pop it out onto the green.

Well, I use an Anser putter, so I have the right tool. But I'm no Chi-Chi or VJ. I think if I tried that, I would end up pounding my ball completely underground. I may have to give it a try in the practice bunker though, just to see what happens.

If anyone cares, I asked my pro (+3) today about this shot and he said:

(1) ball unplayable; or

(2) hit a different direction if it is clear; or

(3) a "half & half" shot: Meaning, line up in a stance that gives you a swing (in my case, back turned to green at an angle); open up stance wide, then close clubface and strike ball with the toe of the club and a steep angle (almost a "chop" - i.e. half chop/half swing). If done correctly, the worst result should be a better lie in the bunker, and at best, you get lucky and the ball pops up onto the green.

Note: This thread is 5780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!