IGNORED

Flying R elbow

Note: This thread is 5772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What are your thoughts on a flying right elbow (i.e. the R elbow detaches from your side during backswing)? Many teachers advocate getting it into an L position at the top, with the upper arm extending straight out of your chest and the lower arm at right angles to the upper arm. I have had a flying elbow for years but I find the swing much more controlled with a tucked right elbow.

How will the elbow position affect the backswing plane?

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

How will the elbow position affect the backswing plane?

From what I understand, a flying right elbow at the top will shift the club's shaft to point beyond the target line (right of the target) as well as a higher right shoulder. He or she will probably have to make some compensations to get it back on plane and may experience out to in swing resulting in a slight fade ball flight.

I think you have the wrong definition of a flying right elbow. The ideal elbow position in the swing is already detached from the body, but viewed from behind the elbow points down. A flying right elbow points out (back) or up from the golfer (viewed from behind) and results in a misalignment of the club at the top.

There is no need to have your right elbow pinned to your side (would be to your hip or waist) throughout the entire swing. Doing so only reduces your swing width, causes your arms to crash into your body, severely flattens your swing plane, pulls the club severely inside, and robs you of potential club-head speed. Part of the downswing transition is a return of the right elbow towards the body. Your backswing plane determines how dramatic this transition needs to be (one-plane is less, two-plane is more, just because it is steeper). The fundamental move is the same however. This return, combined with the drop of the arms and the rotation of the hips creates lag in the downswing, from the width of the takeaway.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Some players like to feel a bit more pressure in the right armpit during the backswing, the sensation allowing them to more easily transition with the elbow returning to the side. No problem with this, provided it doesn't limit a full backswing.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

What are your thoughts on a flying right elbow (i.e. the R elbow detaches from your side during backswing)? Many teachers advocate getting it into an L position at the top, with the upper arm extending straight out of your chest and the lower arm at right angles to the upper arm. I have had a flying elbow for years but I find the swing much more controlled with a tucked right elbow.

There are several things that will affect the right elbow position at the top.

Upright or flat swing plane. Swing plane parallel or not to the target line. Length of backswing. How much extension you maintain. Strong, neutral, or weak grip. Clubface rotated 90 degrees or not. May be others. I'm not sure which of these an instructor would consider a fault.

Hogan said keep the upper part of the right arm as close as you can to the chest (I can't find where he explicitly says keep it tucked). That is all I need to know.

For me personally I have to keep it tucked because I had a shoulder surgery that limited my range of motion and I go way OTT if my elbow comes up.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Question about right elbow at address. When I take my natural address position, my right elbow points a little outside my body toward the rear. Is it a good idea to adjust slightly so the right elbow points at my right hip at address? Is that a good fundamental?

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Left elbow points directly at left hip.
Right elbow points directly at right hip.
Right arm slightly bent at the elbow.
Arms as close together as possible (while still letting them point to the hips).

Those are good fundamentals.

Left elbow points directly at left hip.

My elbows are about a good six to eight inches apart at address. What kind of problems does this cause? This might be why I have such a hard time syncing my arms with the body turn.

My Clubs
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I recently starting tucking my right elbow against my body for chipping, pitching, irons, woods and driver and I am hitting the ball solid.

I shot 1 under on thursday and Friday, I shot 5 over with 6 over in the front and 1 under on the back nine. I never shot 2 round within 6 shot before.

I am playing the best golf with more confidence then I ever have in my 24 years playing golf.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

I played a round yesterday with both elbows tucked in with emphasis on the right elbow. Can't say if felt great or shots any more solid than before but I had a good round. I was not smoking the ball but solid contact. The thing I noticed most is that it help to keep your arms in front of your body. It prevented the arms from racing back ahead of the shoulder turn. I was expecting an very noticeable difference in ball striking, a little extra pop, but cannot say that was the case. I think I had better control though.

Should I just be tucking the right elbow or should I also tuck the left as I did yesterday?

My Clubs

Note: This thread is 5772 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!