IGNORED

power. more power.

Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What helped my driver distance the most was concentrating on a good, complete shoulder turn. Put a club on the inside of your left foot, with the handle pointing away from you. Hold another club across your chest. get in your address posture, and turn your shoulders until the handle of the club on your chest lines up with the one on the ground. This can teach you what a good, complete shoulder turn feels like.

You have to understand and analyse your swing properly. Video analysis and a launch monitor will reveal a whole heap of things.
I used to swing the club up to 112mph but could only drive 210 yards... this was because of my steep angle of approach which caused too much backspin (5-6000rpm).
After much work that figure has come down to 3000rpm and distances are up to 280 yards.

Just wanted to pint out that it's not all about power and swing speed... Ernie Els is a prime example... you'd think his ball only went 180 the way he swings and it's shocking to see it 300 yards down the fairway.

What helped my driver distance the most was concentrating on a good, complete shoulder turn. Put a club on the inside of your left foot, with the handle pointing away from you. Hold another club across your chest. get in your address posture, and turn your shoulders until the handle of the club on your chest lines up with the one on the ground. This can teach you what a good, complete shoulder turn feels like.

i second this. if you can create that feel during you swing, you'll likely see significant improvements

TMX Carry Bag
Tour Burner 9.5*
Burner 3W 15*
Burner Rescue Hybrid 19*
r7 TP 4i-SW Dynamic Gold S300s 60* CG-14 Circa 62 #2 & Studio Stainless Newport 2 Pro V1x

You have to understand and analyse your swing properly. Video analysis and a launch monitor will reveal a whole heap of things.

I think / actually KNOW IT IS about power and swing speed, ernie swings at 120mph the ball has to be hit. his efficient technique and wonderful rythmn may make his swing appear slower but he is till swinging fast.

i second this. if you can create that feel during you swing, you'll likely see significant improvements

I should also clarify, I meant to say inside the RIGHT foot for a righty....not left foot.

I just gain 20 - 30 yards off the tee by hitting my driver solid. You can tell when you hit your driver solid, the sound, the feeling and the way the ball shoot off the club face and the trajectory of the ball that keeps sailing.

I notice when I missed hit a drive and hit a second ball drive solid the second ball was 28 yards farther than the first mishit drive.

First check the face of your driver and see where you are making contact with the ball. You can use masking tape, you might quicky find that you are hitting too low on the driver or off the toe or heel a bit. The modern drivers should be hit center and a bit high.

Check your two angles, Height and heel and toe at ball contact. I personally have a tendency to hit the ball on the toe of my driver, so I do not change my swing but simple move the driver so that the ball is aligned at address on the heel of the driver. When I swing my driver I have compensated for my swing that pushes out towards the toe and now I hit it square on the grooves, I tee my ball up high, the ball is above the club face at address for me. I can hit a hight draw or a high fade with my driver depending on the hole.

I have recently changed my swing so that it is more efficient and compact and I do get more club head speed on my driver. I noticed the extra distance and my buddy that I play match play with every week, now I out drive him by 30 to sometimes by 50 yards.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 5763 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!