IGNORED

Question on Rule 22..Ball Assisting or Interfering with Play

jfrain2004
Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Taken from the R&A; rule book:
"You may lift your ball or have any other ball lifted if you think the ball
might assist another player.
You must not agree to leave a ball in position in order to assist
another player"

If my ball is just past the hole and my oponent is chipping onto the green, can my oponent request that I leave my ball in position for his shot ( ie it may stop his ball from going past the hole if he misses )
or can I just mark and lift my ball regardless of what he wants?

Keep in mind, I'm not sure, but...

You may lift your ball or have any other ball lifted if you think the ball
might assist another player

If you think it will help him, you can pick it up and mark it.
What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

oo that is a tricky one... this has never come up in any of my high school matches, normally i don't mark anything till all balls are on the green. Also does it really matter because if you ball gets hit you get to put it back approximatley where it was, right?

Speed LD F Stiff Shaft 9.5*
3dx dc 2 ironwood 17*
3dx dc 4 ironwood 23*
710 AP1 5 - P
50.08 Spin Milled CC 56.11 Spin Milled CC 60.04 Spin Milled CCDual Force 2 Putter #1 Pro V1xForget your opponents; always play against par. ~Sam Snead

oo that is a tricky one... this has never come up in any of my high school matches, normally i don't mark anything till all balls are on the green. Also does it really matter because if you ball gets hit you get to put it back approximatley where it was, right?

But it stops the chipper's ball from flying past the hole, thus 'assisting' him.

What I Play:

Driver: Sasquatch SUMO² 9.5º Stiff
Hybrid: HiBore 16º (3W replacement)
Irons: Staff Ci6 3-PW StiffWedges: Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 60.04Putter: Newport Studio Style 35"Ball: Pro V1xAge: 15

This situation comes up several times every round with me, I always mark my ball but recently in a matchplay the guy I was playing passed a remark "did I not like him" when I lifted my ball which was positioned so as to stop his chip going on past the hole.

This situation comes up several times every round with me, I always mark my ball but recently in a matchplay the guy I was playing passed a remark "did I not like him" when I lifted my ball which was positioned so as to stop his chip going on past the hole.

It's hard to see why your opponent would take it personally that you want to lift your own ball on the green! However, some older players may not have moved with the times.... In matchplay it used to be that a player could require an opponent to replace a ball on the green when it was his turn to play, thus having 'control' over his opponent's ball. The rule was rescinded in 1984. Usually, these guys also believe you can declare a ball lost.

• Administrator
"You may lift your ball or have any other ball lifted if you think the ball

You may do so regardless of what he wants, yes. Especially if you're on the putting green where you don't need a ball to be interfering to mark and lift.

You may want to read the decisions here for added info: http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...ons/dec22.html

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
  • Popular Now

• Poppycock! It was just as difficult to score goals in this video as it is now: It was just as difficult to finish T5 in a major in 1966 as it is in 2006, too. Those ten-year-olds, errrr, club pros and part-time "tour" players were every bit as good as the guys who, today, have been playing high level golf since they were children.
    • @GolfSwami When you choose to completely ignore the facts and mathematics of Tiger’s dominance over Jack, I find it hard to believe you have no emotional tie to this. SOF HAS to be factored. Hell, you’re so fond of using other sports….SOS is a huge determinant in the NCAA Football playoffs. Gee, why wasn’t UCF the number one team when they went 13-0? That’s crazy right!?😜
    • Best and Greatest are synonyms IMO. Yep. Longevity is a stupid way to determine something like this. If someone took 30 years to amass a certain record, and someone else accomplished the same thing or more in ten years, the second player is better. Golf wasn't nearly as athletic, as taxing, or as well paid, when Jack played. Careers were longer. It's becoming more explosive, with shorter careers. Guys hit more balls now, train harder now, etc. Dude, 14/10 vs. 5/4 is not remotely the same as 18/72 vs. 15/82. It requires context. Jack was playing against club pros. I agree - Tiger blows Jack's record out of the water when you adjust for field strength. 😉  We agree again: Tiger might have won 30 majors. 🤣 Ha ha ha ha ha ha. No, dude. No, it's not "wrong" and the fields were significantly shallower and weaker when Jack played. Pretend Jack amassed his record against ten-year-olds. How impressive would that be? There's context. Jack amassed his record against significantly weaker/shallower competition. This has all been discussed a hundred times. As it would be if he played against ten-year-olds. Compare Tiger's SG in the PGA Championships against only the club pros and let me know how that shakes out. Strokes gained is against the competition at the time. Competition. Jack strongly disagrees with you, and you're casually leaving off the 2000s, too. No, they weren't. Once in a great while they popped up, but no, they weren't. Given all of the conversation that's been had in this topic, this ranks as one of the dumbest posts ever in this topic. If it was made in the first ten pages, cool. But, no. You made it on page 390-something. Try this on for size: every one of Tiger's 82 PGA Tour wins faced stronger/deeper fields than any of Jack's major victories. I also don't really care about top-tens in majors. 15 x > 18 y, where x and y are the respective strength/depth of field. It may be coherent, but so is someone saying 2 + 2 = 7 or someone trying to explain chemtrails. You can understand what they're trying to say, but it can still be a bad, lousy argument. This implies that I do. I do not. I've made the mathematical argument throughout. You're literally counting things with little to no regard for the freaking competition. Guess what: NHL scoring went down when goalies got more pads and learned to take away more parts of the net by learning to go butterfly, etc. The competition changed, and so scoring records aren't the same now as when Wayne Gretzky played most of his hockey. Because the competition is different now. Neither is someone trying to say that 2 + 2 = 7 or that the earth is flat. I can comprehend what they're saying, but they're still a wacko. Dude.
    • Majors are the primary yardstick that most people use.  No one cares about winning some 30 person tour championship or some defunct tournament with 50 people. Those are exhibitions. I use other sports to show that I have a coherent thought process because this debate seems fraught with emotion because of the names. Jack and Tiger are just nouns to me. I have no emotional attachment to either one. The thought process would be no different in evaluating Jeongeun Kim5 or Jeongeun Kim6.   It is not hard to comprehend.  I even gave you a helpful example of Clemson football so that you would understand.  If you can't understand that, life is going to be too much for you.   Charlie Munger Quote: “Without numerical fluency, in the part of life most of us inhibit, you are like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking conte...” “Without numerical fluency, in the part of life most of us inhibit, you are like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.” — Charlie Munger quotes from QuoteFancy.com  
    • And that gap between Tiger’s total wins against Jack’s is massive. And aside from your obsession with majors, Tiger’s accomplishments are massive compared to Jack’s. And stop using other sports as an example. This is golf. Have you not looked at the lists of Tiger vs Jack accomplishments and records? It’s comical to look at both of them and derive that Jack is the GOAT. You acknowledge the weak fields Jack played in then turn around and state how amazing his major records are. That makes no sense at all.

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...